Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Level of Interest Meter Pegged At Zero

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Brassard struggling as much as he did is one of the bigger surprises of my Pens fandom.

- career average of 49 points per 82 games
- career 55 points in 78 playoff games...he was known as Big Game Brass for God's sake
- on pace for 54 regular season points the season we traded for him, and had 11 points in 19 playoff games the year before
- same age as our stars
- opportunity to exploit lesser defensive match-ups with an elite winger on the 3rd line

I'm not sure what went wrong. He was used a lot differently here than he had been before, and maybe that broke him. Or maybe he was just one of those guys who fell off a cliff shortly after his 30th birthday.

Yeah. Baffling, honestly. As I mentioned previously I've always kinda half hated this idea of getting the "ultimate" 3LC but I liked that trade because Brassard just absolutely killed the Penguins every time they matched up.

It's tough to nail down why he fell so hard, fast and far. I suspect he hated his role here (shocker) and kind of torpedoed himself to get out. And it's just kept on backfiring since. Maybe that groin injury plays into it, as well. Those can be tricky and lingering. But for this long?

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Brassard will only be remembered as the guy Bryan Rust absolutely punked in 2016 and the guy who couldn’t catch up to Kunitz in 2017.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kristopher Letang

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Id take sheahan back tbh. Very good 4C who can play 3C well enough for a short period of time. He takes on ton of Dzone starts and is good down low and on faceoffs, good PKer

If you move out Bjugstad, id definitely sign Sheahan at near league min to be the 4C and Blueger slots in at 3C.

Sheahan was awful here last season. Gave Brassard a run for his money. No thanks. JR would be trying to find another centre pretty quickly and possibly a 3C if Teddy struggles.

Just keep the legit 3C we have and let Teddy grow into it slowly.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Sheahan was awful here last season. Gave Brassard a run for his money. No thanks. JR would be trying to find another centre pretty quickly and possibly a 3C if Teddy struggles.

Just keep the legit 3C we have and let Teddy grow into it slowly.

Check username.

At least 50% of his soul pulls for the Caps. You have to assume ulterior motives when suggestions for bad Pens signings come up.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Brassard struggling as much as he did is one of the bigger surprises of my Pens fandom.

- career average of 49 points per 82 games
- career 55 points in 78 playoff games...he was known as Big Game Brass for God's sake
- on pace for 54 regular season points the season we traded for him, and had 11 points in 19 playoff games the year before
- same age as our stars
- opportunity to exploit lesser defensive match-ups with an elite winger on the 3rd line

I'm not sure what went wrong. He was used a lot differently here than he had been before, and maybe that broke him. Or maybe he was just one of those guys who fell off a cliff shortly after his 30th birthday.

He was decent when we first got him up until the groin injury then that killed him. Year 2 was a disaster though.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Iginla was flaming butt on his off-wing at ES. Still the dumbest coaching I’ve ever seen. That whole year was stupid. f*** 2013.

Good thing Guentzel made it all better.

Human

cynic
Jan 22, 2011
Bandwagon
Iginla was flaming butt on his off-wing at ES. Still the dumbest coaching I’ve ever seen. That whole year was stupid. **** 2013.

Only thinking about that, combined with Bylsma’s face and Shero giving him a contract extension that summer, is making my blood boil.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Iginla was flaming butt on his off-wing at ES. Still the dumbest coaching I’ve ever seen. That whole year was stupid. **** 2013.

I think maybe that's the only time I've ever watched a player be like... openly confused and baffled out on the ice. Like the camera would cut to the guy sometimes and he'd have this very distinct "WTF am I doing here?" look on his face.

Disco was a special kind of stupid/arrogant. I have my qualms with Sullivan but he still has a ways to go before he's butting up against that territory.

Only thinking about that, combined with Bylsma’s face and Shero giving him a contract extension that summer, is making my blood boil.

Odds on all of us saying the same thing a year down the line from today?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Here's a serious question about our ex-Coyote. Why do they call him Chucky? His name isn't Galyenchuk. It's Galchenyuk. It should be Yucky.

Ok, that makes sense, but still why “Chucky”?

Galchenyuk.

Woah! :laugh:

Maybe he’s a good guy ;)

s-l640.jpg

That's going to get a lot of use in these parts.:laugh:

giphy.gif

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Aren't they making another one of those dumb movies?

It's like... I swear I remember a time not so long ago when every other movie released wasn't some half-baked rehash to collect easy Boomer Bux.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
It still pisses me off that DB is the Pens coaching leader in regular season wins, PTS% AND playoff wins.

Our intrepid local sports media used that as an excuse to cling to that loser pretty much up until (and even past) the day he was fired. Always remember this when you read their dreck.

REGULAR SEASON WINZ GUYS!

Can also be explained by "Held on way too long to a guy who had prime Crosby/Malkin/Letang on the roster." You could have put my German shepherd behind the bench for those years and made the same case. Plus I bet my dog would have not been cool with them playing ice whiffleball. But... I mean... mostly only because anything involving a ball is strictly his domain and not to be trifled with by amateurs.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad