Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Career stats
Player A (per 82) - 17 goals, 37 points, 33 ES points
Player B (per 82) - 10 goals, 21 points, 19 ES points

Even if just using last year
Player A (per 82) - 21 goals, 40 points, 35 ES points
Player B (per 82) - 14 goals, 30 points, 27 ES points

This downplaying of Rust is insane to me.
He's not only a better player, but he's a great fit for this team and can play on any line.

No more insane then using a players stats while overlooking the fact that one spent 66% of their icetime with Crosby or Malkin while the other spent 89% of their icetime with Lowry as their center.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
How many posters here actually watch Winnipeg regularly. I bet it's like 10% of us, max.

Ya don't know. Contract sucks but the player might not. Let it play out.

Yeah, but if he sucks we are stuck with him for the next 6 years. This screams potential buy out to me. I hope he works out, but I don’t like the idea of making such a large commitment to an insignificant player.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yeah, but if he sucks we are stuck with him for the next 6 years. This screams potential buy out to me. I hope he works out, but I don’t like the idea of making such a large commitment to an insignificant player.

Sounds like a lot of contending teams were in on him. I bet he was asking around 3 mil on a multi year deal. And we ponied up in years to make sure we got him.

This team is done in 3 years more than likely. Is he a player worth 3.5 over the next three years? Maybe. We shall see.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
How many posters here actually watch Winnipeg regularly. I bet it's like 10% of us, max.

I’ve seen probably +60% of Tanevs games. He went from wow, this guy does nothing, to: hey, he’s actually an nhler to: this man is the heart and soul of this team

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I think how JR thinks about this is that in 6 years, we will be rebuilding and a 3.5m cap hit will be like a 2.5m cap hit. Inconsequential and if it brings a guy on right now that can help this team that otherwise wouldn't have come to Pittsburgh, why not? Had the deal been better, bringing Tanev in would have been unanimously praised.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I rarely watch any Jets games so I will keep my mouth shut about Tanev. Just that I don't like the AAV or term, but he does bring good things to this team and who knows, maybe JJ is now out the door with a sweetener.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

I catch Winnipeg games when I can just because I dig the team in general and I find the hockey market fascinating. Tanev was always a guy I thought would look good in a Pens sweater. Looking at his stats, it's insane to propose, but he can play anywhere in the lineup when a line needs a spark. He consistently makes defensemen cough up the puck. In an ideal world, he and Rust make up one of the better 3rd lines in the league. I just don't think Bjugstad is that center.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Hopefully Tanev keeps his hunger and tenacity and doesn’t get complacent now that he got his payday.

He doesn't strike me as a guy that would happen to. He has a young Chris Kunitz mentality. I think it's the undrafted college thing - these guys realize how hard it is to get there and will put their faces in front of pucks to stay there.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I’ve seen probably +60% of Tanevs games. He went from wow, this guy does nothing, to: hey, he’s actually an nhler to: this man is the heart and soul of this team

I will say that the rapid uptick in his play having only been in the league a couple years is intriguing.

An article I read recently with quotes from him suggest he thinks it was just a matter of confidence to get to where he was this year. If last season is his norm and he can fit in for stretches in the top 6 to spark us when we're floundering, this could work.

Last edited:

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I catch Winnipeg games when I can just because I dig the team in general and I find the hockey market fascinating. Tanev was always a guy I thought would look good in a Pens sweater. Looking at his stats, it's insane to propose, but he can play anywhere in the lineup when a line needs a spark. He consistently makes defensemen cough up the puck. In an ideal world, he and Rust make up one of the better 3rd lines in the league. I just don't think Bjugstad is that center.

Yeah I really hope Blueger gets a long look at 3C this year. If we trade a winger to move salary, Bjugstad can move to RW.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
95% of people here get that it's a wild and reckless contract to say the least. That's been articulated countless times.

Where it founders is when attached to statements about 4th line players when dealing with a guy who played at and scored at 3rd line numbers last year. No need to act like a martyr over people arguing that one.

That was a joke.

Also, I’m surprised to see you refer to Tanev as a 3rd liner. What over his career leads you to believe that?

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
He doesn't strike me as a guy that would happen to. He has a young Chris Kunitz mentality. I think it's the undrafted college thing - these guys realize how hard it is to get there and will put their faces in front of pucks to stay there.
There would be more than a few posters eating crow if we just signed a Kunitz type for 6 years at 3.5 (who I am sure would gladly eat the crow in that case).

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
People seemed to be pretty content with Hagelin doing that.

And yet never once did that here in any of his full seasons. Hagelin over his time as a Penguin as a 0.43PGP (35 pt avg). However if you remove the HBK time (17/18+) that goes down to a 0.35PGP.

Tanev over the past 2 seasons (his time as a full time NHLer) averaged 0.33PGP, while having hit 0.36PGP last season.

I was never content with Hags and thought his contract would be a huge issue. It wasn’t for one year. If Tanev has that effect, I will guarantee I will eat my words.

I’ve done it plenty. I also feel like my criticism of Hunwick, JJ and the Bonino situation should speak to itself.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Hopefully Tanev keeps his hunger and tenacity and doesn’t get complacent now that he got his payday.

Yeah guys have a history of coming to Pittsburgh for the 3rd or 4th line and think they can start dangling. Not as much a problem in recent years but they'd see Mario/Jagr/Sid and forget their role. Georges Laraque was the most egregious offender.

I doubt that will happen, but there are some scars...

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

TBH I think the sentiment around these parts is that he will help the team. I think only Pixies is against the player, but quite a lot of us, like you hate that contract.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Yeah I really hope Blueger gets a long look at 3C this year. If we trade a winger to move salary, Bjugstad can move to RW.

Blueger's skill set actually meshes well with those guys. He's a distributor. A 3rd line of Tanev-Blueger-Rust is a lot of hopes and dreams, but f*** would it be a pesky line to play against. So many unknowns there though - does Tanev have another offensive gear? Can Blueger produce like a 3rd line center? Is Blueger strong enough to withstand 3rd line matchups? Will Rust stay healthy?

I am just not a fan of Bjugstad. There was exactly one game as a Penguin where I really thought he was awesome and that was game 1 of the playoffs when they put him at 3C and he had like 12 hits and some good scoring chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad