Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - JR is the worst

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
He's definitely a renegade outlaw that defines Murphy's law "anything that can happen, will happen."

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Happy with the Maatta-Kahun swap. Optimistic about Galchenyuk. Like Tanev the player, but revile his contract.

We still have JJ, and I suspect it's either because JR won't pony up to remove him, or because he won't accept anything short of a Scuderi-Daley type of coup.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Regardless of salary, once we remove jack Johnson from the fold I REALLY like the look of our roster. We're as deep as any team at forward. Lots of potential to grow as well and HUNGRY players who are itching to perform. We added a few very nice prospects through the draft as well.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
This team has gotten away from what made them successful: Trusting their prospects. In 2016 and 2017, we brought up a bunch of unproven guys like Sheary, Rust, Dumoulin, Kuhnhackl, Guentzel, Rowney, Wilson and of course, Matt Murray and this was in the day when the Penguins had "already emptied the cupboard" because they "mortgaged the future".

Since then though, we threw away Sundqvist because he wasn't going to be anything... Scored at a 15 goal pace this season. We gave up on Archibald since he wasn't going to pan out... Scored at a 14 goal pace this season.

Rather than signing Tanev and his 14 goals at $3.5M, we could've kept either of these guys who make ~$700K.

Let Teddy rot in WBS forever and when he finally got his shot, he looks great but still didn't trust him over Matt Cullen.

Nobody knows what they've got – truly got – until you give your trust in these guys and give them actual NHL reps.

Makes me wonder what Ethan Prow or Freddy Tiffles might have been.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kahun-Malkin-Galchenyuk
McCann-Staal-Rust
Simon-Bleuger-Tanev

Gardiner-Letang
Dumoulin-Schultz
Pettersson-Gudbranson

How do we do it? Would we lose a game? I doubt. I’ll give all the picks, I don’t care.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I really, really want to ship out Johnson and get Gardiner.
you know what...

I agree. Always felt like Jake gets way too much shit for team failure. Btw if you're an "old school" hockey guy who believes in sticktoitiveness and grit and sandpaper and will and determination and stupid shit that doesn't exist, please don't @ me with how Jake is a choker

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Kahun-Malkin-Galchenyuk
McCann-Staal-Rust
Simon-Bleuger-Tanev

Gardiner-Letang
Dumoulin-Schultz
Pettersson-Gudbranson

How do we do it? Would we lose a game? I doubt. I’ll give all the picks, I don’t care.
You got a problem on that top line, but yeah. That's a good'un.

Reactions: Turin

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Still wondering what we do with our goalies. Trade DeSmith or Jarry. Try to sneak Jarry through waivers?
If we have the cap room I’d keep all 3 at least for a bit: might come in handy if there’s an injury. You don’t get more than a pick for Jarry anyway.

Reactions: Andy99

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Tanev was the one guy I was happy we were associated with, but man that term/money is something you just shake your head at. There is just no way for him to live up to it.

If JJ is moved, the one nice thing is that he would be our worst contract. That's not toooooooooooo bad. It's just completely and utterly unnecessary. And this dude will cause an issue in regards to signing someone at some time. It's a guarantee.

Reactions: Jacob and Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This team has gotten away from what made them successful: Trusting their prospects.

This is total bogus. Last year, the Penguins have had ZAR, Simon, Blueger, Pettersson (he was basically a prospect when the Penguins acquired him) and Riikola as young prospects playing in significant roles in the NHL. "Trusting the youth" isn't a problem on this team, this team plays more youth in everyday roles than a lot of other contenders.

Reactions: Turin

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
Kahun-Malkin-Galchenyuk
McCann-Staal-Rust
Simon-Bleuger-Tanev

Gardiner-Letang
Dumoulin-Schultz
Pettersson-Gudbranson

okay, I want Jake, but I do think Jake - Letang is asking for some sort of end to the universe, so maybe get Jake, but not pair him with Letang.

Reactions: KIRK and Turin

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
This team has gotten away from what made them successful: Trusting their prospects. In 2016 and 2017, we brought up a bunch of unproven guys like Sheary, Rust, Dumoulin, Kuhnhackl, Guentzel, Rowney, Wilson and of course, Matt Murray and this was in the day when the Penguins had "already emptied the cupboard" because they "mortgaged the future".

Since then though, we threw away Sundqvist because he wasn't going to be anything... Scored at a 15 goal pace this season. We gave up on Archibald since he wasn't going to pan out... Scored at a 14 goal pace this season.

Rather than signing Tanev and his 14 goals at $3.5M, we could've kept either of these guys who make ~$700K.

Let Teddy rot in WBS forever and when he finally got his shot, he looks great but still didn't trust him over Matt Cullen.

Nobody knows what they've got – truly got – until you give your trust in these guys and give them actual NHL reps.

Makes me wonder what Ethan Prow or Freddy Tiffles might have been.

Aside from Bleuger, who didn’t “rot” in WBS, all those 2016 guys were better than what we’ve had recently. It’s hard to have consistently good ELC players come up when you’re consistently drafting late.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Like others have said, near the end of the contract this team will be in the gutter so its not a big deal. My issue is that since we went so long, thee AAV should have come down.

I like to think Tanev just absolutely outplayed JR. Like maybe he got some other offers, but he got JR to bid against himself. We just saw it last year with Jack Johnson. JR has been known to give out horrible contracts. I think this contract makes it extremely difficult to retain Murray/Schultz/Galchenyuk next season, barring trading a forward such as Rust.

Don’t get me wrong, I like Tanev as a player, but this contract creates immediate and long term cap complications. There is no liquidity with this contract so he better be a damn good fit.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
okay, I want Jake, but I do think Jake - Letang is asking for some sort of end to the universe, so maybe get Jake, but not pair him with Letang.

I have a higher opinion of Letang’s hockey sense than most, so I’m more scared to pair Gardiner with Schultz, but I see your point.

Jobeycool

Jun 20, 2019
Is there yet to be desired by little Jimmy Rusty Rutherford heart to further damage this team or will He by some miracle improve the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad