Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - JR is the worst

Status
Not open for further replies.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
It isn’t concerning at all that a 30 year old with an ACL injury paced for a similar rate of points with much better analytics playing for three teams compared to the player we just signed for 6 years.
No, because his value is not how many points he gets.

froods

Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
Hagelin is sadly still a better player than Tanev has proven since he signed this contract.

That of course can change.
You said 10x. Is he better right now? That’s debatable. He doesn’t bring the same level of energy. That’s what we needed.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Hornqvist is way too valuable to be on the 4th line. I also don’t think Tanev is a top 6 forward. I think he is a perfect L3 LW option. Put Horny on the other side and that line will be a ***** to play against.
Hagelin's not a "top-6 forward" either, with regard to production, but Tanev will be here--at least he'll be tried there--because of the factors I talked about.
They should have tried to sign him back then. 11 mil is better than 21 mil (and an extra 2 years).
I don't disagree, but who knows what happened. Maybe JR wanted more years of a potential Hagelin replacement. Maybe Hags had no desire to come back.
A line-up like that leaves Horny on the 4th line right? That's a deep lineup indeed
I forgot about Hornqvist. Whoops. Put him in Rust's spot and use Rust to get JJ outta here. :laugh:
I wouldn't play Tanev in the top 6 almost ever. I think he could be thrown up there a shift here and there to generate some energy, but he should be on the 3rd line with Rust, IMO. It just makes so much sense to keep those two together and let that line check the **** out of teams. I wish we had a more skilled 3C there though.
The lineup's got a ton of versatility, really. Rust, McCann, Tanev, Kahun, Hornqvist can all play up and down the top-9.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
CORSI gods are hockeys equivalent to flat earthers.

It has value but there are tons of other advanced stats that we can’t view or are obscure and hard to find. What are Tanevs puck retrievals like? What are his conversion rates based on his shot quality, relative to his role and linemates (what lead the Pens to target Neal), etc?

And Tanevs possession numbers aren’t even bad.

froods

Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
So what is his value? Being a negative possession and offensive driver while being statistically less proficient defensively than Simon and ZAR?
You are never going to see it for what it is. You are too caught up in analytics and have such a negative mindset to this team. Just banging my head against a wall.

Reactions: JTG

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
It has value but there are tons of other advanced stats that we can’t view or are obscure and hard to find. What are Tanevs puck retrievals like? What are his conversion rates based on his shot quality, relative to his role and linemates (what lead the Pens to target Neal), etc?

And Tanevs possession numbers aren’t even bad.

A CORSI stat for a player who doesn't produce a ton of offense is completely dependent on who they play with and the chemistry they have with linemates. It is a line stat given out on an individual basis. No matter how someone tries to spin it, that is what it is. Like I said before, I watched Tanev - his line was an offensive black hole because there wasn't a ton of skill. I watched them dump the puck in 3 times and 3 times he made the defenseman cough it up. No one there to finish the play. No shots or chances generated, but f***...you put him on a line that has a bit more skill, what he brings to the table could really stir up some offense.

Reactions: Andy99 and Turin
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad