Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - JJ is still here!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
@SEALBound think you misread my post. I said we knew he was trying to trade him. Can he though? But seems positive.
*Unless you were just agreeing with me :laugh:

I mean if people are looking at Hutton, JJ is probably better than him and his contract is cheaper than Hutton’s ask.

I wasn't necessarily replying to you directly. I was just making the comment that we know JR has been looking at JJ trades.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
This organization is shipping off quite a lot of players for JR’s screw ups and Sullivan’s ego.

If we lose Rust, we will have shipped Kessel, Sheary, Rust, Cole and Sprong off strictly because 1. Sullivan didn’t like them or 2. Rutherford has to pay off a team to take one of his screw up free agency signings.

The Sprong trade worked out so far, though.

We can’t continue to strike out at the draft, give away players Sully doesn’t like or have to include a player in a trade for someone to take one of our many free agency duds.

I wonder which player we will lose to make a team take Tanev or who will be shipped off for being in Sullivan’s doghouse next.

This is revisionist history mixed with Monday Morning Quarterbacking. Let’s go through your lame assessment one by one. Kessel was traded Because the team obviously needed a shake up and Kessel was not playing the way the team wanted and it was time for a change. I am fine with trading Kessel after 2 years of not meeting our goal it was time for a big change and Rutherford has added 4 fast wingers in the past 5 months (McCann, Kahun, Galchenyuk, and Tanev). It was time for a mix up.

Sheary is a dime a dozen player and would be lucky to even be in our lineup and was no big loss at all. I don’t see Sheary as any better than any player in our top 9. I have no problem with the return for a marginal player. We used that pick to move up to get Legare. Along with a 5th and 7th round pick. I for one saw no future with Sheary on this team.

Rust hasn’t happened so dumb to discuss.

Cole was going to be a UFA that was not in the plans to sign and was part of the deal to get Brassard who was one of the biggest fish available on the deadline. I don’t think anyone thought that was a bad deal at th time adding “Big Game Brass”. Obviously not all players work out but I would never fault Rutherford for trading for Brassard.

With Sprong we got great return for a player that I believe will be out of the league in a short while. Getting a 22 year old rookie defenseman on entry level contract that had a great rookie season and looks like a defenseman that can be in our top 4 for years to come is great value even if Sprong fixes his game and becomes a complete winger which I doubt.

Also how have we struck out of the draft? Since Rutherford has taken over we used picks to get Kessel which was great value. We used a 1st to get Perron who just won a Cup and played well for the Blues. Unfortunately he was not working out for us but we traded him for Hagelin who helped us win two Cups. We traded picks and two UFA’s for McCann and Bjugstad which is great value considering they both are past 1st round picks and have more value than what we gave up in picks. I could go on but I think we used our picks great considering we are in win now mode and still got players with term and not wasting picks on rentals like Shero always did.

Also I love Our last two drafts for the picks we had. Also I like how the Pens find players older than draft eligible players with later picks to find players that can help early like Simon. Most players drafted that late don’t play in the NHL for 5+ years or ever so I like adding one player like that each draft.

We can always find moves that don’t work out because you can find that with any team. When looking at the Pens only 1 player on our team I would want to get rid of and that is JJ. Looks like Rutherford is on his way to doing it or at least is working on it. The one thing I love about Rutherford is he does not take long to make changes when players are not working out. Rutherford identified the player to go and made the right choice. Rutherford has made this team younger and faster around the core in a 6 month time he transformed our team into one of the younger teams around our core in the NHL with only Hornqvist older than 27 of our supporting cast forwards. If JJ goes then our defenseman surrounding Letang will also all be in their 20’s. Rutherford has definitely lengthened our competitive window due to these changes of a younger faster lineup.

Some of you are just insufferable and if most of these complainers had their way we would have not had any of our last 3 Cups. Go back to those threads and see how many of these same complainers wanted to tank for picks in each of our Cup years when we had bad first half’s. I am glad we have a real Hall of Fame GM and not all these arm chair sky is falling fake wannabe GM’s.

Last edited:

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
JR has a couple of lines in the water trying to make moves for more cap space.

Don’t be surprised if Cullen doesn’t re-sign if GMJR looks to bring in Boyle on a short deal.

I rather let Blueger play 4C although Cullen as a league minimum as 13th forward/player coach would be fine. I just would worry he would play over Blueger which I wouldn’t be happy with. I like Boyle but I am fine with our forwards we have now. Let the young guys play. I love the infused youth and speed Rutherford has added and want to keep it that way.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I rather let Blueger play 4C although Cullen as a league minimum as 13th forward/player coach would be fine. I just would worry he would play over Blueger which I wouldn’t be happy with. I like Boyle but I am fine with our forwards we have now. Let the young guys play. I love the infused youth and speed Rutherford has added and want to keep it that way.

I’m with you but he’s looking for a veteran voice in the locker room that isn’t going to be playing all 82 games. I don’t think it’s a bad move.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is more interest league wide in Bjugstad than Rust and Bjugstad is the guy needed to be in the JJ deal to garner more interest.

If that works out I’d support Blueger to start the season at 3C and see how it goes. I’d love the speed on the 3rd line if it were Tanev - Blueger - Rust or make it Tanev - Blueger - Hornqvist and have two forechecking bangers flanking Bluegs.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
JR has a couple of lines in the water trying to make moves for more cap space.

Don’t be surprised if Cullen doesn’t re-sign if GMJR looks to bring in Boyle on a short deal.

What? Why do we need another forward even without Cullen...aren’t we at like 13 forwards?less than zero interest in Boyle...

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
You know we're all sitting here begging JR to get rid of JJ and that's all well and good but I'm also disturbed by the idea that Gudbranson might revert to what he was in Vancouver which would make him every bit as bad as JJ.

Let's all hope that 19 good games he had here is indicative of his future here and not just a trade deadline bump.

Reactions: TooManyHumans

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Can’t they just sign Gardiner if they’re moving 4 mil along with JJ? Or is the plan trade those two for an ok bottom pair dman who’s kinda cheap and use the remaining cap on a guy like Boyle?

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’m with you but he’s looking for a veteran voice in the locker room that isn’t going to be playing all 82 games. I don’t think it’s a bad move.

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is more interest league wide in Bjugstad than Rust and Bjugstad is the guy needed to be in the JJ deal to garner more interest.

If that works out I’d support Blueger to start the season at 3C and see how it goes. I’d love the speed on the 3rd line if it were Tanev - Blueger - Rust or make it Tanev - Blueger - Hornqvist and have two forechecking bangers flanking Bluegs.

Don’t we have a lot of veteran voices in the locker room? Aren’t Sid, Geno, Horny, Letang, Rust, Schultz, Guds vets? It’s very insulting to the core...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Can’t they just sign Gardiner if they’re moving 4 mil along with JJ? Or is the plan trade those two for an ok bottom pair dman who’s kinda cheap and use the remaining cap on a guy like Boyle?

I think if JR turns Kessel, JJ and Bjugstad into Tanev, Gardnier, and Galchenyuk. I’ll be happy with that.

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Galchenyuk - Malkin - Hornqvist
Tanev - McCann - Kahun
ZAR - TB - Simon

Dumo - Letang
Gardnier - Schultz
Pettersson - Gudbranson

I’m happy with that line up and think you can add a legitimate top nine RW at the deadline for cheap.

Another move we could do is Bjugstad + Schultz for Frolik + Brodie.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
What team would want Johnson? Looks like everyone’s all stocked up on D now, including Ottawa.

pokey10

Neat
Apr 26, 2016
Pittsburgh
You know we're all sitting here begging JR to get rid of JJ and that's all well and good but I'm also disturbed by the idea that Gudbranson might revert to what he was in Vancouver which would make him every bit as bad as JJ.

Let's all hope that 19 good games he had here is indicative of his future here and not just a trade deadline bump.

He was fine in FLA. If anything his Vancouver stint was the outlier.

Reactions: Pancakes

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Don’t we have a lot of veteran voices in the locker room? Aren’t Sid, Geno, Horny, Letang, Rust, Schultz, Guds vets? It’s very insulting to the core...

No because Geno and Letang were part of the insubordinate group last year siding with Kessel and being hard to reign in for the coaching staff. Sid is a silent leader who leads more with his play. They are still trying to right the locker room issue. Cullen leaving makes that void even bigger. They are looking for a vet ala Boyle or Williams if Cullen retires that won’t be scared to voice their opinion around Sid/Geno.

I think if Bjugstad is the guy to go they will focus more on Boyle. If Rust is the guy to go then it might be Williams.

I wouldn’t be opposed to Boyle. He’s really good on the PK and I’m liking what I’m seeing with Tanev added because after losing Bonino and Hagelin our PK went to shit.

I’m just saying whether it’s via FA or trade, he’s made us younger but he knows we need a veteran presence in the room to tell Geno and Letang to shut the f*** up and adhere to the plan and win games for the Pens instead of self nuking.

Reactions: Riptide
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad