Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - JJ and Letang drama

Status
Not open for further replies.

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
If Rodrigues is willing to sign a 1 year -$900K contract, couldn't he be demoted to the AHL without a cap penalty (if needed). If true, I don't see the harm in signing him up with his ability to play all the forward positions. He's a vet who can sit eating nachos some nights.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
McCann has blinders like Rust did, but he’s not as tenacious as Rust, so I’m not sure I he’ll ever be as useful as Rust on the wing. Just don’t know about this player. Maybe he really solidified himself next year, still young. Can we turn him into Dupuis?

Reactions: Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Sheary. That contract was exactly 2 RFA years and 1 UFA year.

Andreas Johnsson also got 4 years at $3.4 million, with that taking up 1 UFA year. Kerfoot was at $3.5 million on a 4 year deal as well, same amount of UFA years as Johnsson.

Sheary's contract was 3 years ago at a cap 6.5m lower. Express his contract as a percentage, and that'd get McCann 3.26m, so 300k more.

And the guys getting UFA years brought come in a wee bit over 3m so no, they're not proof that McCann getting Fabbri's contract should get an extra UFA year on at the same price.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sheary's contract was 3 years ago at a cap 6.5m lower. Express his contract as a percentage, and that'd get McCann 3.26m, so 300k more.

And the guys getting UFA years brought come in a wee bit over 3m so no, they're not proof that McCann getting Fabbri's contract should get an extra UFA year on at the same price.

And I think that's pretty much where McCann should be falling on a 3 year deal. If he only wants a 2 year deal at only $300k less, I'm trading him.

McCann is already on thin ice when it comes to his usefulness on the Penguins anyway, so if he starts demanding a pretty pricey extension (aka close to a cap hit where you should be able to get UFA years) on a deal that takes him straight to UFA, I'm trading him immediately.

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just going off the never faulty eye test; I thought McCann has looked terrible at wing.

Looked less terrible at C. Didn’t he have a really strong start to the year with Kahun and Tanev(?) as his wingers?

It was Kahun, McCann, Hornqvist to Kahun, McCann, Simon/Tanev/Nosen and.... Galchenyuk, McCann, Kahun and.... Kahun, McCann, Galchenyuk

It really was all over the place as Sid and Geno were out of the lineup. He even posted up as the 4th line as Kahun, McCann, Lafferty Oct 26th.

Reactions: K Fleur

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I went back to the Canes board this morning asking what they'd be looking for in a Nino Niederreiter trade. One person said futures, another said Hornqvist (with a number of likes and posts agreeing), and another said Bjugstad (with maybe one person agreeing).

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Niederreiter for Hornqvist is one of those classic shake-up hockey trades, but I'm not sure that would really be much of an improvement. You get younger, but you probably also get worse. You also trade one of the rarest (IMO) players in hockey to a division rival.

Reactions: Doogle

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
You also get even more left handers.

giphy.gif

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Niederreiter for Hornqvist is one of those classic shake-up hockey trades, but I'm not sure that would really be much of an improvement. You get younger, but you probably also get worse. You also trade one of the rarest (IMO) players in hockey to a division rival.

The problem with Hornqvist is he doesn't seem to have a fit at 5on5 here. He doesn't play with Crosby, he probably shouldn't be ahead of Rust next to Malkin, so that leaves the third line with a center he's not shown much chemistry with.

On top of that his injury history is also a concern. We're only going to be getting roughly 65 games out of him per year, and on a team that already sees its stars get hurt all the time, that's a bad combination going forward.

If we could land a Niederreiter I'd probably do it.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The problem with Hornqvist is he doesn't seem to have a fit at 5on5 here. He doesn't play with Crosby, he probably shouldn't be ahead of Rust next to Malkin, so that leaves the third line with a center he's not shown much chemistry with.

On top of that his injury history is also a concern. We're only going to be getting roughly 65 games out of him per year, and on a team that already sees its stars get hurt all the time, that's a bad combination going forward.

If we could land a Niederreiter I'd probably do it.

You're going to pay 5 million for a 30ish pt LW?

Reactions: ownal

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

I think he's still got the potential to be closer to that 50+ point guy he was prior to this season. Calling him a 30-ish point guy seems disingenuous considering that prior to this year, he paced for over 43 points for 4 straight seasons.

That's like calling Rust a 35 point guy.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think he's still got the potential to be closer to that 50+ point guy he was prior to this season. Calling him a 30-ish point guy seems disingenuous considering that prior to this year, he paced for over 43 points for 4 straight seasons.

That's like calling Rust a 35 point guy.

Is getting top six minutes or playing on our top power play like he was when he was doing that?

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Is getting top six minutes or playing on our top power play like he was when he was doing that?

He might play in our top six if he shows some chemistry with Geno.

As for his reliance on the PP for his points, over the past four seasons I referenced he had:
38 ES - 5 PP
43 ES - 14 PP
24 ES - 8 PP (63 GP)
38 ES - 15 PP

He's been good for around 38-43 ES points each year. So even if he only got mop up duty on the second unit for around 5-8 extra points, you're looking at anywhere between 40-45 points. Way higher than your "30-ish point winger".

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside

He's adept at both wings. And I think calling him just a 30-point winger is being dishonest. He's scored at a 0.48 point per game pace throughout his career. And that pace includes his horrendous second season with NYI where he had 1 point in 55 games.

What I like to do is use Hockey Reference's adjusted point totals. For players like Nino, I usually use their last three seasons. Doing this gives 120 points in 212 games (0.566 p/g or 46 points in an entire season). Hornqvist would be at 125 in 191 (0.654 p/g or 54 points a season).

No one can replace Hornqvist. But Nino is 6 years younger, slightly cheaper, and still plays with grit.

My preference is to hold on to Hornqvist, but GMJR made some hints at who could be move. And I think PH could be one of them -- if he waives his NTC.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
He might play in our top six if he shows some chemistry with Geno.

As for his reliance on the PP for his points, over the past four seasons I referenced he had:
38 ES - 5 PP
43 ES - 14 PP
24 ES - 8 PP (63 GP)
38 ES - 15 PP

He's been good for around 38-43 ES points each year. So even if he only got mop up duty on the second unit for around 5-8 extra points, you're looking at anywhere between 40-45 points. Way higher than your "30-ish point winger".

I guess you hope he fits with Malkin and move Zucker down to L3, but I don't like it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad