Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: If they trade Letang, Scandy Riots

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
And I have no idea how people with an understanding of the history of sport and working braincells would arrive at this position.

And I have no idea why people pretend that pro athletes are so mentally fragile that they'll shatter at any sort of adversity. And I also have no idea why people pretend that how fans feel should have ANY sort of impact on what decision a team makes.

Signing Fleury now would be similar to the Ducks signing Ryan Miller to be Gibson's backup after trading Andersen.

I think it is setting up a young goalie who potentially could be a franchise starter as soon as next year for a ton of headaches that are unnecessary and I don't think Fleury has been that good the past two years despite the personal situation this year

And it also provides excellent insurance for likely a cheap cost in case that young goalie falters. It's also very similar with what the Ducks did with Gibson, where they had former starters in Bernier and Miller as his backups.

I'll take the trade-off.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Let's be real, JR has 3 options for the backup goalie spot:

1. He can run with DeSmith, who had a shit year in the AHL last year and has like 50 games of NHL experience to his name
2. He can sign a stronger backup or 1B in free agency, which you can get a varied talent in net based on how much you're willing to pay
3. He can sign a bought-out Fleury to a likely super cheap deal, where you can get a proven starter as a backup that may want to play more than you want to play him.

To me, 3 is the best option there unless you can get a 1B for cheap.
Fleury was also a great locker room guy keeping teammates loose and he and Crosby are pretty close. Could accept his role as a 1B/backup/mentor and finish his career where he started. Also only needs 24 wins to move up to 3rd in the all time wins.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Say Pens got 14th OA from Oilers for MM what would JR trade it for? Max Domi? or go after Domi and Danault for the 3C in a bigger deal? Maybe go hard after Rakell? or dangle a 1st and Petts for a 2LD?

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Casey DeSmith is still very underrated imo. I think we will be fine with him as the backup next few years.

Fleury - 3 cups as a Pen
Murray - 2 cups as a Pen
Jarry - I say 1 ring. Just cant see this team not winning one more. Making it 4. Theyll keep trading away the future until it happens. So hopefully we get 2 more wins. Itll be a long rebuild after.

Then just make sure we draft Billy Blurry or Harry Hurry for the next gen. Keep the theme going.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Fleury was also a great locker room guy keeping teammates loose and he and Crosby are pretty close. Could accept his role as a 1B/backup/mentor and finish his career where he started. Also only needs 24 wins to move up to 3rd in the all time wins.

That's not really the concern, the concern is more about play time. The bolded is something we're not sure on.

The disagreement comes from the idea that the bolded is bad enough where we shouldn't sign him. To me, the upside is clearly worth it. You get a proven starter on a great contract to be insurance for Jarry and let Jarry be eased into the starter's role. There is a risk of Fleury creating shit with not being a starter, but I view the potential reward as worth it, especially when the realistic alternative is Casey DeSmith.

Reactions: Rust17

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
And I have no idea why people pretend that pro athletes are so mentally fragile that they'll shatter at any sort of adversity. And I also have no idea why people pretend that how fans feel should have ANY sort of impact on what decision a team makes.

Signing Fleury now would be similar to the Ducks signing Ryan Miller to be Gibson's backup after trading Andersen.

And it also provides excellent insurance for likely a cheap cost in case that young goalie falters. It's also very similar with what the Ducks did with Gibson, where they had former starters in Bernier and Miller as his backups.

I'll take the trade-off.

Totally different. Bernier and Miller were never part of an earlier core that won championships in ANA.

Reactions: BillPrep

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Totally different. Bernier and Miller were never part of an earlier core that won championships in ANA.

Okay? Ryan Miller was a former elite goalie that won a Vezina and was a starter for team USA. He was a really solid starter for 3 years in Vancouver. He's going to be a HoF goalie most likely and he signed to be Anaheim's backup while still being a starting caliber goalie.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think this is the real "best" reason to bring back MAF. The guys love him, and he could go a long way toward fixing an apparently stale lockerroom. Backups are whatever, imo. If you need to look for a stud backup in case your starter falters badly, then your starter is the real issue.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I dunno. I think if fleury was bought out and did come back, he’d be more accepting of a shared role than he was in 16/17. It’ll have been 4 years by that point and I think he’d be a little different now.

Hell if he wins a 4th with Vegas this year he may be even more satisfied to just collect pay for as long as he can and preserve his body a little more.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Top nine forward or top four D thinking Matheson in Florida or someone like Nino in Carolina. A decent pick. And a 2nd would be what I’d expect.

Highly doubt we can get a Top 4 d-man for him but if we can.

giphy.gif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I dunno. I think if fleury was bought out and did come back, he’d be more accepting of a shared role than he was in 16/17. It’ll have been 4 years by that point and I think he’d be a little different now.

Hell if he wins a 4th with Vegas this year he may be even more satisfied to just collect pay for as long as he can and preserve his body a little more.

Yeah, that's another thing to point out. If Fleury wouldn't be happy with the role that the Penguins wanted him to play in, which would be at most a platoon goalie with Jarry, he wouldn't sign here. He'd only sign here if he and the Penguins were on the same page for what his role here would be.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Say he is bought out- Fleury is gonna turn down legitimate offers and money to be a starter in order to be the backup here for near minimum? I don’t see it. He clearly wants to play.

It’s also pretty much the worst thing you can do to Jarry. I’m not saying the kid is soft or can’t handle it, but putting a guy behind him who has a weird, vocal cult following in the city just amplifies the noise and pressure he’ll feel. No way around that- even if Flower is a good teammate.

Why would you knowingly do that to someone you’re trying to develop into a starter?

Fleury back here is nightmare fuel. Even if it’s done in a super sensible way financially it’s just a garbage idea that I pray never happens.

Reactions: Peat

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
Let's be real, JR has 3 options for the backup goalie spot:

1. He can run with DeSmith, who had a shit year in the AHL last year and has like 50 games of NHL experience to his name
2. He can sign a stronger backup or 1B in free agency, which you can get a varied talent in net based on how much you're willing to pay
3. He can sign a bought-out Fleury to a likely super cheap deal, where you can get a proven starter as a backup that may want to play more than you want to play him.

To me, 3 is the best option there unless you can get a 1B for cheap.

Nope. There’s not just 3 options.

How about: 1a) Run with DeSmith, and if he sucks trade for a goalie mid season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Nope. There’s not just 3 options.

How about: 1a) Run with DeSmith, and if he sucks trade for a goalie mid season.

The cost for acquiring a good backup goalie during the season isn't cheap. Look at the Campbell trade that Toronto made.

Sure, you can get a backup for a not unreasonable price, but "a backup" and "good enough backup for what we want" are 2 different things.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Now we are discussing bringing back a benched goalie :facepalm:

I'd take him as a back-up but you know these fans couldn't handle that. Going to screw up Jarry's development like they did MM with the Flower toxicity.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Okay? Ryan Miller was a former elite goalie that won a Vezina and was a starter for team USA. He was a really solid starter for 3 years in Vancouver. He's going to be a HoF goalie most likely and he signed to be Anaheim's backup while still being a starting caliber goalie.

Okay. It is a different situation, but if you want to put your head in the sand about it that's cool.

Reactions: Peat

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

Agreed. And we havent won the cup since he left. The Curse of the Flower been going on for 3 years now .... end the drought.

Or is it because of Kunitz? Retire his number just in case. Or bring him back as a coach. Powerplay coach.

Or was it Bonino?

Need to figure out who Jobu was

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Anything else apart, the last time MAF was here in a split net situation, he sucked. Only time he was good that season was from after the deal was struck with Vegas up him spotting Murray over his shoulder in the playoffs. How sure are people that if you ask him here he won't get in the same head space and suck again?

Particularly when it looks like he's getting worse every season?

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Agreed. And we havent won the cup since he left. The Curse of the Flower been going on for 3 years now .... end the drought.

Or is it because of Kunitz? Retire his number just in case. Or bring him back as a coach. Powerplay coach.

Or was it Bonino?

Need to figure out who Jobu was

Umm we won a Cup without somebody and haven't since. This isn't hard to figure out...

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
The cost for acquiring a good backup goalie during the season isn't cheap. Look at the Campbell trade that Toronto made.

Sure, you can get a backup for a not unreasonable price, but "a backup" and "good enough backup for what we want" are 2 different things.

Normal cost or JR cost? Because nothing is impossible with JR dealing. Two first rounders and a prospect of that teams choice for a 1B goalie.

But seriously, these playoffs especially...have shown how important goaltending is. You dont win without it. As good as our offense was for those 3 cups , we dont win any of them without those 2-1..1-0.. series clinching games. When our team couldnt score. And thats what Murray has failed to do since Fleury left. Steal games to keep us in a series until players showed up.

The last two years they made it much harder on him but back when we were going for that 3peat our offense was more than good enough to win it all. Murray kept costing us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad