Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: If they trade Letang, Scandy Riots

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
yeah not sure i support welcoming back a toxic goaltending situation where our own fans actively jeer our starter because they prefer an inferior player's personality

This is my fear. That said, my fears and preferences are not JR's fears and preferences.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Anything else apart, the last time MAF was here in a split net situation, he sucked. Only time he was good that season was from after the deal was struck with Vegas up him spotting Murray over his shoulder in the playoffs. How sure are people that if you ask him here he won't get in the same head space and suck again?

Particularly when it looks like he's getting worse every season?

I doubt it. Nearing the end of his career. Pressure is off now. He would be playing with house money, especially if Vegas wins it all this year. That pressure ended when he started the 2nd cup run and won 9 games. Hes the exact type of goalie we would want as a 1B, the Pens connection makes it even better because of the locker room with our star players.

As much as we complain about depth scoring, our top two lines havent really carried us these last two years either. Complacent? Age? I dont buy that its age. Something has been missing since that 3rd run in a row at a cup. Crosby and Guentzel each had 21 pts in 10 games, Hornqvist with 11 .

Alot has to do with the powerplay imo. Used to be "unfair" when a team was called for a penalty because it usually meant a goal. Its been a mess since.

Not that Fleury can cure that part of the game, but maybe he can energize the big 3 for another shot at the title.

I say a new coach would but thats me. Sully is a great coach, unfortunately they have shelf lives with one team. Everybody knows this. Scotty Bowman was the first to realize it and take advantage of it from a coach's perspective. First with the Habs. Then the Pens. Left them for the Wings and took some players with him. Made us worse and they started their run.

Last edited:

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Nostalgia will always sell. Jagr would be 80 years old and someone here would say "sooo how about bringing Jagr back!!"

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
All I want at this point is a nice 3rd jersey. I'm so bored of the trade talk.

I liked the one they wore vs the Flyers as a permanent 3rd.

This jersey..
2019-Coors-Light-NHL-Stadium-Series-Practice-Sessions-Family-Skate-14-1550964346.jpg

But without those stupid numbers. Just the normal Pittsburgh gold number and letters with no white outline.

Or rather...with these numbers and letters on that jersey above
cut.jpg

Also this as the helmet.
screen-shot-2019-02-22-at-4.png

Nostalgia will always sell. Jagr would be 80 years old and someone here would say "sooo how about bringing Jagr back!!"
Those blokes are always dying alive to bring him back.

Wankers.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
We havent won since Bones, Kunitz, and Fleury left. Is what I was joking about. No idea what youre saying tho.

Letang. He didn't play one minute in post season last Cup we won and he's been one of the worst d-men on the team in the post season since.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
This is my fear. That said, my fears and preferences are not JR's fears and preferences.

I dont live in Pitt nor do I go on social media. Only time I heard about the MAF/MM drama was on here. Was it really that bad? Did it really impact the players?

Btw I hope nobody is glad Murray ended up failing for us these past 3 years just to say I told you so. If he wasnt a RFA and another damn expansion team wasnt coming along I wouldnt even want Murray gone. I think he will get better. And close to where he was during those cup wins.

Jarry's turn now to win it all. So unless he develops amnesia now that we are losing another goalie, will we be the first team to win 3 cups with 3 diff goalies in this short of a time span?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
All I want at this point is a nice 3rd jersey. I'm so bored of the trade talk.

I liked the one they wore vs the Flyers as a permanent 3rd.

This jersey..
2019-Coors-Light-NHL-Stadium-Series-Practice-Sessions-Family-Skate-14-1550964346.jpg

But without those stupid numbers. Just the normal Pittsburgh gold number and letters with no white outline.

Or rather...with these numbers and letters on that jersey above
cut.jpg

Also this as the helmet.
screen-shot-2019-02-22-at-4.png

Those blokes are always dying alive to bring him back.

Wankers.

Not a huge fan of the jersey, but the helmet rules.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Jagr deserves his jersey in the rafters, imo. I've never been clamoring to bring him back, but he kept this franchise afloat pretty much solo for years and is one of the best to ever play the game. The people who rail against Jagr and paint him as some sort of vile demon are as annoying as the people who desperately wanted him back in a Penguins jersey at all costs, even if it made no sense roster or cap-wise. Devils fans don't begrudge Niedermayer for leaving and chasing money and a Cup in Anaheim.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Letang. He didn't play one minute in post season last Cup we won and he's been one of the worst d-men on the team in the post season since.

That was actually hard.

And its a good point.

Didnt think we had a chance at all after he got hurt. But Schultz stepped up along with the group as a whole. Which brings up the question, why cant they do that when a top player doesnt get hurt?

For example we see Malkin take his game to another level when Sid is out. Vice versa. Hell our whole team did great this year when we were missing half the lineup. Looked like we were getting back to our style of play. But everyone was healthy for playoffs and..yeah. That was the result. I will say its tough to judge them based on so much time off and the situation they were in but maybe it is true there is too much complacency. When they think they are going to win, they half ass it until its too late. Lost first game to Habs, it happens. Won the next. Then took 3-1 lead in game 2 which prob would have ended the series, but sat back and let them tie it then take the lead before we could head to OT. Suddenly facing elimination instead of being in control. Jarry comes in for game 4, keeps it at zero(Heres what I mean by it being too late, now it was in their heads) but nobody came thru. Habs finally score. Mixture of being overconfident and then the opposite? Because theres no way they went into the Isles series thinking they would lose at the time, as well as this Habs series.

Btw We also havent seen Schultz play that good since 2017 playoffs. He was a diff maker on the PP in those playoffs. Why cant we have two top dmen at the same time?

Last edited:

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
That was actually hard.

And its a good point.

Didnt think we had a chance at all after he got hurt. But Schultz stepped up along with the group as a whole. Which brings up the question, why cant they do that when a top player doesnt get hurt?

For example we see Malkin take his game to another level when Sid is out. Vice versa. Hell our whole team did great this year when we were missing half the lineup. Looked like we were getting back to our style of play. But everyone was healthy for playoffs and..yeah.

We also havent seen Schultz play that good since. He was a diff maker on the PP in those playoffs. Why cant we have two top dmen at the same time?

Maybe because he's toxic. I've always got those vibes from him. He doesn't strike me as a "team player"

I've never bought the narrative of "they are playing better without Letang because they know they have to step up without him" Nobody wants to admit they are just better without him. If they play so much harder without him then try trading him and lets see how hard they play.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think people forget what Jagr was like. He was an egotistical douche. Mocked other players about their salary vs his, his gambling issues, the dying alive bollocks. Yeah he was an immense generational talent. But he pales in comparison to the type of ambassadors Crosby and Malkin are and hell even Letang and this will trigger a lot of people - but Also Fleury for what he did in the Pittsburgh community and his polarizing tenure aside, it's what he did for the community while he was a long time Penguin that I give him that respect for.

But 87, 71, and 58 above 68 and I wait for a very long time before 68 goes up. I am ok with 29 not going up either. But at this point I'd deem him more worthy than Jagr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad