Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - I got a faulty parachute

Status
Not open for further replies.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Anyone who wouldn't trade Schultz for a 1st is bonkers, imo. Marino's got the 2RD on lockdown (and should, moving forward) and an extra 1st gives us a ton of flexibility in that we can either make the picks and stock up a prospect pool, particularly on the blueline and at center, or we can use the pick as part of a package to land a stud at one of our weakest positions (Geno's LW, 2LD, 3C).

Since you mentioned we got 2 1sts because of a Schultz trade to the Peg, here is an unrealistic roster to think about with those 1sts and Addison, Kahun, etc.

Hall-Crosby-Palmieri
Jake-Malkin-Rust
Wood-McCann-Tanev

Hall and Wood both come at 50% btw.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Jarry + Pouliot or Legare + 1st probably gets us Hall.

I'd rather get Palmieri for less and try to sign Kreider this summer, though.

Still doesn't fix our biggest issue though, which I feel is 2LD. Need a stud partner with offensive punch for Marino to play with for years to come, imo.

Reactions: ChaosAgent

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
We don't have Pouliot, Blues do. This team is also run by JR, he does not care about the D. He's all out for forwards.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Still doesn't fix our biggest issue though, which I feel is 2LD. Need a stud partner with offensive punch for Marino to play with for years to come, imo.

My guess is Palmieri would cost more than Hall right now. Hall's only available because they'll lose him anyway; that's not the case with Palmieri and if they lose Hall, they really can't afford to lose him as well.

Reactions: Hamurai

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Imagine if Letang while playing LD found his partner in Marino on RD? looked good together yesterday. Get Wood from NJ and Miller from Buf and your D is good to go.

Letang-Marino
Dumo-Miller

Wood-McCann-Tanev

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd be 100% for going all in this year and trying to acquire Hall. This Penguins team is the deepest team they've had in recent memory and likely the deepest team they're going to have anytime soon. Go all in this year before the cap/expansion draft causes you to lose like 3 depth forwards and Jarry. They're not likely going to have a group like Kahun, McCann, Pettersson, Marino, Blueger, Simon, Murray and Jarry on cheap deals like they have now anytime soon, it requires a perfect storm to pull that off.

Last edited:

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
Hall is a better rental than either Schultz or Gally - hell maybe both combined.

Also - at this rate does Jarry get his extension before Murray?

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I'd be 100% for going all in this year and trying to acquire Hall. This Penguins team is the deepest team they've had in recent memory and likely the deepest team they're going to have anytime soon. Go all in this year before the cap/expansion draft causes you to lose like 3 depth forwards and Jarry. They're not likely going to have a group like Kahun, McCann, Pettersson, Marino, Blueger, Simon, Murray and Jarry on cheap deals like they have now anytime soon, it requires a perfect storm to pull that off.

Acquire the deepest team possible.... then face the Islanders in the playoffs.

I feel like I've heard or seen that narrative before.:(

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Conservative but smart. Glad he’s waiting. I know we don’t have a big name roster on paper, but in practice this team feels extremely strong (when/if healthy).

That said, Bjugs and Schultz should be out by the TDL regardless imo. They’ve lost their spots to me. Both guys main function to this team is as depth now (Bjugs behind McCann/Blueger and Schultz behind Letang/Marino).

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
IMO we could very easily make a competitive offer for Hall, its just a matter of weather we need/want to.

Our problem the last couple of years has been that we dont have good enough prospects to trade. With Poulin/Legare/Addison/Hallander that shouldn't be a problem.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Conservative but smart. Glad he’s waiting. I know we don’t have a big name roster on paper, but in practice this team feels extremely strong (when/if healthy).

That said, Bjugs and Schultz should be out by the TDL regardless imo. They’ve lost their spots to me. Both guys main function to this team is as depth now (Bjugs behind McCann/Blueger and Schultz behind Letang/Marino).

Two slightly different boats there imo. 3 RD is depth that sees lots of usage and is backing up arguably the most injury prone player on the team - not to mention Schultz and Marino have very different ways of helping the team. Keeping Schultz until the end barring getting in a good RD still makes sense imo.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd have no problems with sticking with this defense for this year:

Pettersson-Letang
Dumoulin-Marino
Johnson-Schultz

I don't think you need to touch your defense. Schultz's performance is much more okay in the context of him being your 3rd pair RD than your supposed 2nd pair anchor. Let Dumoulin be the anchor for the 2nd pair and use Dumoulin-Marino as your shutdown pair.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007

Do the Penguins have a realistic chance at landing Hall?

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Two slightly different boats there imo. 3 RD is depth that sees lots of usage and is backing up arguably the most injury prone player on the team - not to mention Schultz and Marino have very different ways of helping the team. Keeping Schultz until the end barring getting in a good RD still makes sense imo.

That's fair. I think we both agree (barring rookie wall) that Marino is better both now and going forward in the 2 hole. So I'll amend my statement and say there's no point in re-signing Schultz.

I'd still explore moving him though. I guess my original point was that you could probably get someone who's going to play a more impactful role than Schultz on the bottom pair in return for Schultz.

Reactions: Peat

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
I'd have no problems with sticking with this defense for this year:

Pettersson-Letang
Dumoulin-Marino
Johnson-Schultz

I don't think you need to touch your defense. Schultz's performance is much more okay in the context of him being your 3rd pair RD than your supposed 2nd pair anchor. Let Dumoulin be the anchor for the 2nd pair and use Dumoulin-Marino as your shutdown pair.

I think this is the correct setup. While Marino-Letang looked fine yesterday I hate the Righty-Righty pairs

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
I dont know about Pettersson on the top pair. Hes been a mess this year. I do want Dumo-Marino together but I dont think Petterson is ready for those kinda defensive match ups.

Reactions: Andy99

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I dont know about Pettersson on the top pair. Hes been a mess this year. I do want Dumo-Marino together but I dont think Petterson is ready for those kinda defensive match ups.

Meh, Pettersson has been pretty solid analytically this year. Nothing incredible, but he's on pace for almost the exact same offensive stat line as last year and his analytics are almost identical to Dumoulin's in terms of xGF% and HDCF%. I don't see an issue with him being on a pair with Letang.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad