Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - I got a faulty parachute

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I dont know about Pettersson on the top pair. Hes been a mess this year. I do want Dumo-Marino together but I dont think Petterson is ready for those kinda defensive match ups.

I think the idea behind this is that Dumo-Marino get those match ups and Letang gets to feast.

That's fair. I think we both agree (barring rookie wall) that Marino is better both now and going forward in the 2 hole. So I'll amend my statement and say there's no point in re-signing Schultz.

I'd still explore moving him though. I guess my original point was that you could probably get someone who's going to play a more impactful role than Schultz on the bottom pair in return for Schultz.

Yeah, I'm okay with exploring moving him/finding a better option - I mean, of course I am. Just that someone like him is wanted as long as we can.

And yeah, Marino's totally stolen his lunch.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Do the Penguins have a realistic chance at landing Hall?

Slim to none but I hope we push for him. My ideal scenario that I can't see any GM taking this risk is to center a deal around Murray for Hall. They need a starter and Shero may be enticed by MM.

If we offload Bjugs, Gally, not paying Murray you've got money for Hall. Honestly whenever we are able to look at moving Horny we need to..love the guy but injury after injury and not a fit on the top lines. go cheap on goalies, give Jarry the reigns.

People are afraid to take risks but this would be such a pay off if Jarry continues even above average goaltending. Just really watch his play, he's ready. I love the quality he has of playing the puck to, massive help to the D.

Hall-Sid-Tanev(whoever)
Jake-Geno-Rust

We would never give the other team the puck.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
There's a thread on the main trade board where Oiler fans are soliciting offers for Larsson because he's apparently been terrible since his injury return.

I know he has been the target of ridicule because he's the leftovers from the Hall trade, but I would be all over that if they were taking offers in the summer. If Edmonton needs offensive depth, offer them Bjugstad+ . Maybe Riikola to soften the blow of losing a Dman. Eitherway, I would think a quantity-for-quality-esque offer would be okay with the Oilers, because after their first two lines, they basically have nobody that can score. And we have plenty of depth guys that can get the job done.

I know the trope of "Pens can turn any Dman around" is overworked, but if we managed to get our hands on Larsson, and got him even close to back on track, like how he was starting to look in his NJ days, we could have a gem. And Holland might just want to close the book on that disastrous trade.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
There's a thread on the main trade board where Oiler fans are soliciting offers for Larsson because he's apparently been terrible since his injury return.

I know he has been the target of ridicule because he's the leftovers from the Hall trade, but I would be all over that if they were taking offers in the summer. If Edmonton needs offensive depth, offer them Bjugstad+ . Maybe Riikola to soften the blow of losing a Dman. Eitherway, I would think a quantity-for-quality-esque offer would be okay with the Oilers, because after their first two lines, they basically have nobody that can score. And we have plenty of depth guys that can get the job done.

I know the trope of "Pens can turn any Dman around" is overworked, but if we managed to get our hands on Larsson, and got him even close to back on track, like how he was starting to look in his NJ days, we could have a gem. And Holland might just want to close the book on that disastrous trade.

I don't really see what Larsson does for the Penguins, now that they have Marino excelling in a top-4 role. If you need a defenseman, it's a right handed puck mover for the 3rd pair starting after Schultz leaves.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
He's a mil more than schultz

If they want to to retain the difference and take schultz straight up...Maybe

But probably not necessary

Edit: I think their cap is actually similar. Meh, still

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
@vabm8

Starting on the 21st of November I've got varying days where the Pens NHL roster is at 24 people. The max active/healthy roster is 23. And when I checked CapFriendly their numbers seem to match mine. And apparently Blandisi is currently "Waiver Non-Roster", even though he played yesterday?

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
How would Miles Wood fit into this team? I love me some Miles Wood.

Would you trade say Bjustad for Miles Wood? Contract is $2,750,000 for another two years. It is hefty especially with Tanev's bloated contract.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
@vabm8

Starting on the 21st of November I've got varying days where the Pens NHL roster is at 24 people. The max active/healthy roster is 23. And when I checked CapFriendly their numbers seem to match mine. And apparently Blandisi is currently "Waiver Non-Roster", even though he played yesterday?

Yeah, I suck and stopped doing it. I can only assume it’s something to do with IR that capgeek didn’t have information on. Right now Hornqvist, Rust and Dumoulin could be on it or put on it at any time on top of Crosby, Schultz and Bjugstad. If Blandisi played he should count and I think they messed up what happened after he went on waivers. I didn’t see anything about any kind of emergency recall to bother looking up the rules to see if he wouldn’t count against the 23 spots.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
@vabm8

Not sure where any of that is coming from. I count 23 bodies on the current roster, including yesterday's scratches Johnson, Rust and Hornqvist. Crosby, Bjugstad, Dumoulin and Schultz are all on IR.

What am I missing here?

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Hall is a better rental than either Schultz or Gally - hell maybe both combined.

Also - at this rate does Jarry get his extension before Murray?

Good question. I'd try and lock him up to a CDS type deal right now if possible. Maybe bump up the pay a bit. 2 or [email protected]. I'm a massive believer in Jarrs so i'd try to lock him in for 3yrs at minimum and he can get anywhere from 2-2.5M if thats what it'd take to get done right now.

Conservative but smart. Glad he’s waiting. I know we don’t have a big name roster on paper, but in practice this team feels extremely strong (when/if healthy).

That said, Bjugs and Schultz should be out by the TDL regardless imo. They’ve lost their spots to me. Both guys main function to this team is as depth now (Bjugs behind McCann/Blueger and Schultz behind Letang/Marino).

I look at Schultz as our own rental if they are in a PO spot unless you can bring someone in thats better than him in a him out/that D-man comes in scenario.
They could really use a beef up on LD cuz the only top 4 one they have is Dumo. MP looks not ready and JJ is JJ.
Perhaps theres a way if they move forward with the righty righty thing tho.

Letang-Marino
Dumo-Schultz

Do the Penguins have a realistic chance at landing Hall?

Their chances are better now at landing the big whales vs the past few years.
They have over 3M in cap space and have top tier assets. Something they haven't had in the past.
Also the teams who landed those big whales in recent years are tight against the cap now with less assets. Las Vegas as an example.

Last edited:
Reactions: shoplifter

Hamurai

Jun 19, 2019
Pittsburgh
Slim to none but I hope we push for him. My ideal scenario that I can't see any GM taking this risk is to center a deal around Murray for Hall. They need a starter and Shero may be enticed by MM.

If we offload Bjugs, Gally, not paying Murray you've got money for Hall. Honestly whenever we are able to look at moving Horny we need to..love the guy but injury after injury and not a fit on the top lines. go cheap on goalies, give Jarry the reigns.

People are afraid to take risks but this would be such a pay off if Jarry continues even above average goaltending. Just really watch his play, he's ready. I love the quality he has of playing the puck to, massive help to the D.

Hall-Sid-Tanev(whoever)
Jake-Geno-Rust

We would never give the other team the puck.
I don’t think dealing Murray in season for a rental hall is a great move.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
How would Miles Wood fit into this team? I love me some Miles Wood.

Would you trade say Bjustad for Miles Wood? Contract is $2,750,000 for another two years. It is hefty especially with Tanev's bloated contract.

Guess it depends on what they think he can become a year or so from now. We have alot of players in WBS who are similar.

Btw, we may not like Bjugstad right now but he has more value than that.

And that Tanev contract is great. Look at the mistake the Caps made with letting Brett Connelly and Burakovsky go who both have 21 points already while only making 3.25 mil. Instead they give Richard Panik a 4 year deal at 2.75 mil who has 2 pts in 20 games. Hagelin the same deal who has 0g 5a in 19 games. 31 years old now(Connelly 26 and Burakovsky is 23) and hes played alot of hockey these last 5 years. If he starts to slow down, he doesnt bring much else.

As good as they've been this year, we are lucky they made the wrong decisions in the off-season. They have no bottom six ....just about all of their offense has come from the top 2 lines. They'd be alot better if they kept Connelly(on Panthers first line) and Burakovsky(didnt score alot with the Caps but he finally breaks out for the Avs lol).

Just like in the past theyll have to keep relying on their young prospects to step up each year. They havent had the same good luck as we have. It took Vrana awhile to become the player he is now.

We better get to play them in round 2 this year. If this team is healthy and goaltending is where it should be(that could be Jarry....a 3rd goalie beating the Caps out of the last 4 matchups) we should take them pretty easily. Firing the guy who won them the cup and who has Sullys number lately was also a bad decision.

Carolina is the team we should be concerned with.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Not sure where any of that is coming from. I count 23 bodies on the current roster, including yesterday's scratches Johnson, Rust and Hornqvist. Crosby, Bjugstad, Dumoulin and Schultz are all on IR.

What am I missing here?

Dumo, I don't think, was ever put on IR. At least not yet.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Like I said in the other thread, deciding to move on from Murray and keep Jarry because of a 10 game sample size would be an incredible case study for "how not to run a team".

I agree. Besides, Taylor Hall would just become the next offensive player to take a permanent seat in Sullivan's dog house, so at this point what is even the point of acquiring a scoring forward?

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
Like I said in the other thread, deciding to move on from Murray and keep Jarry because of a 10 game sample size would be an incredible case study for "how not to run a team".

Its all speculation right now....good news is we have rest of the season to come to a conclusion.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
Good question. I'd try and lock him up to a CDS type deal right now if possible. Maybe bump up the pay a bit. 2 or [email protected]. I'm a massive believer in Jarrs so i'd try to lock him in for 3yrs at minimum and he can get anywhere from 2-2.5M if thats what it'd take to get done right now.

I look at Schultz as our own rental if they are in a PO spot unless you can bring someone in thats better than him in a him out/that D-man comes in scenario.
They could really use a beef up on LD cuz the only top 4 one they have is Dumo. MP looks not ready and JJ is JJ.
Perhaps theres a way if they move forward with the righty righty thing tho.

Letang-Marino
Dumo-Schultz

Their chances are better now at landing the big whales vs the past few years.
They have over 3M in cap space and have top tier assets. Something they haven't had in the past.
Also the teams who landed those big whales in recent years are tight against the cap now with less assets. Las Vegas as an example.
I'd take Hall.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010
I agree. Besides, Taylor Hall would just become the next offensive player to take a permanent seat in Sullivan's dog house, so at this point what is even the point of acquiring a scoring forward?

Ehh...we just need to keep adding Kessel types and only have them around for a few years. Get us a cup or two and them trade them for a good return. Job well done.

If we have to keep seeing Simon on the top line because " Hes Sullys type of player" in favor of a Taylor Hall...then the coach is the prob.

You can have both. We added Tanev for that. Kahun and McCann play a solid 200 ft game. We dont need the whole team to be that kind of player at the expense of them having a horrible shot.

Having a few snipers is necessary.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

I didn't say move on from Murray at all.
Simply saying they should try and lock Jarrs in like they did with CDS last season.
If after that Murr proves to be the guy then great Jarrs just became a more valuable asset being locked into a CDS type deal.

Reactions: Hamurai

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Well, Sid/G deserve better than a Simon even when the roster is fully healthy.
Hall would never be in the dog house.
He'd be a permanent fixture in the top 6 as well unlike Phil.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Ehh...we just need to keep adding Kessel types and only have rhem around for a few years. Get us a cup or two and them trade them for a good return. Job well done.

A few years? Pearson lasted less than a full season here. Brassard lasted about a calendar year. Galchenyuk looks like he will be on the Pearson plan at this point.

The problem is, we are not getting good returns with these players because they are losing value the moment Sullivan touches them. We were able to get McCann for Brassard, which was a great job by JR, but of course even that came with a price (the anchor that is Nick Bjugstad).

What do you think Galchenyuk's perceived value is around the league right now?

I didn't say move on from Murray at all.
Simply saying they should try and lock Jarrs in like they did with CDS last season.
If after that Murr proves to be the guy then great Jarrs just became a more valuable asset being locked into a CDS type deal.

OK, that would be great but pedigree matters in contracts. Jarry was a high draft pick with a strong prospect pedigree who seems to be panning out as projected. DeSmith came from the ECHL as a non-prospect and fought hard to land a multi-year deal. There is little comparison between the two.

As Emp said earlier, Juuse Saros is a better comparable.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Yeah, I suck and stopped doing it. I can only assume it’s something to do with IR that capgeek didn’t have information on. Right now Hornqvist, Rust and Dumoulin could be on it or put on it at any time on top of Crosby, Schultz and Bjugstad. If Blandisi played he should count and I think they messed up what happened after he went on waivers. I didn’t see anything about any kind of emergency recall to bother looking up the rules to see if he wouldn’t count against the 23 spots.

NHL.com has the players who were scratched from every game at the bottom of their game center box scores. Dumo was not there last night, which means to me that he was placed on IR.

I goofed and accidentally included Adam Johnson in the NHL roster.

Reactions: Jag68Sid87
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad