Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - I got a faulty parachute

Status
Not open for further replies.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
If GMJR can trade Schultz to say the Jets for a sign and trade and get back a unprotected number 1, do it. Of course that depends on the probability of what he wants to sign here.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Our only area of strength to trade from right now is goalie. Wouldn't be surprised to see DeSmith go out in a package for a d-man to get us through Dumo's injury.

Doubt it. The only way it would happen is if we cratered so badly that it looked like there was a real risk we were going to miss the POs and couldn't recover. I think his injury is short enough (even if it's 3 mths) that they'll see how the kids do as fill ins (aka Riikola) and just wait things out.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Doubt it. The only way it would happen is if we cratered so badly that it looked like there was a real risk we were going to miss the POs and couldn't recover. I think his injury is short enough (even if it's 3 mths) that they'll see how the kids do as fill ins (aka Riikola) and just wait things out.

I think Bjud is the shoe waiting to drop in terms of a trade. Once he's healthy he'll probably be moved out quickly. That's the person I'm most curious about in terms of his return

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019
I think Bjud is the shoe waiting to drop in terms of a trade. Once he's healthy he'll probably be moved out quickly. That's the person I'm most curious about in terms of his return
If Bjug isn't needed at center, I'd like to see him get a shot at RW (where the Pens are thin). If someone has to be moved, make it Chucky. We're stacked at LW.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Not really.

If we go .500 this month we probably are still tied for the last wild card.

There are 4 teams within 3 points of the Pens with Tampa as one of them and they have 2 games in hand. I'm not saying the Pens aren't going to make the playoffs, but they are definitely in jeopardy of falling out of the wild card spot in next month unless things change.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
It would not make sense. Paying a guy like him big money requires #1 PP unit time. And that's far from certain here.

We don't need a big name. Just someone to complement 87 and 71 for the rest of our window. This is the time to go for the low key move.

Healthy, as is, we might be good enough to go on a run. But I'd definitely feel more comfortable replacing AG in the top 6.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Taylor Hall the player would be a great fit. Taylor Hall the entire individual? Not so sure. It’d also be too expensive to acquire him from Shero’s Devils.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Anyone who wouldn't trade Schultz for a 1st is bonkers, imo. Marino's got the 2RD on lockdown (and should, moving forward) and an extra 1st gives us a ton of flexibility in that we can either make the picks and stock up a prospect pool, particularly on the blueline and at center, or we can use the pick as part of a package to land a stud at one of our weakest positions (Geno's LW, 2LD, 3C).

Reactions: Louis Hensler

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Anyone who wouldn't trade Schultz for a 1st is bonkers, imo. Marino's got the 2RD on lockdown (and should, moving forward) and an extra 1st gives us a ton of flexibility in that we can either make the picks and stock up a prospect pool, particularly on the blueline and at center, or we can use the pick as part of a package to land a stud at one of our weakest positions (Geno's LW, 2LD, 3C).

If you think this team can legitimately win a Cup this year, which I think they can, I don't see how you can move him without bringing in a D-man. Marino could hit a wall at some point. And if the injuries continue, we're gonna need as much depth as possible.

We're getting to the point where 1st rounders aren't gonna matter a whole lot with respect to this window. It's a balancing act, but I'd bet our window slams shut in about 3 years. Right about the time any new prospects added to the system would be just breaking into the league. Maybe said player/s helps extend the window, but I wouldn't bet on it.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
If you think this team can legitimately win a Cup this year, which I think they can, I don't see how you can move him without bringing in a D-man. Marino could hit a wall at some point. And if the injuries continue, we're gonna need as much depth as possible.

We're getting to the point where 1st rounders aren't gonna matter a whole lot with respect to this window. It's a balancing act, but I'd bet our window slams shut in about 3 years. Right about the time any new prospects added to the system would be just breaking into the league. Maybe said player/s helps extend the window, but I wouldn't bet on it.

I keep thinking how Mathew Barzal could have been a penguin.

Reactions: EightyOne

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Just a note on Taylor Hall from Friedman's 31 thoughts....

Friedman is saying Shero has been trying to trade him. Price is reportedly a 1st round pick and a high end defensive prospect who is close to NHL ready.

A 1st and Addison would be the best the Penguins could offer. I don't get the need for defense, though. Severson is only 25, Vatanen is 28, Butcher is 24, Mueller is 24. They have some young guys, unless they have determined they all suck....

Friedman also said Miles Wood is on the block, too. 2.75M for 2 more years....

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Just a note on Taylor Hall from Friedman's 31 thoughts....

Friedman is saying Shero has been trying to trade him. Price is reportedly a 1st round pick and a high end defensive prospect who is close to NHL ready.

A 1st and Addison would be the best the Penguins could offer. I don't get the need for defense, though. Severson is only 25, Vatanen is 28, Butcher is 24, Mueller is 24. They have some young guys, unless they have determined they all suck....

Friedman also said Miles Wood is on the block, too. 2.75M for 2 more years....

It's Shero, bud. Only he would trade a Hart Trophy winning scorer for defensemen.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

I do not believe this team can legitimately compete for a Cup this year. Not with Geno having one winger, Sid having one winger, a bad fit at 3C, Murray struggling and Jarry being very green (nobody knows how he'd hold up as a starter) and a serious lack of LD talent.

I also hate the "Well, nothing matters in 3 years anyway" stuff. Making strong trades and drafting/development is exactly how we avoid becoming the Red Wings. The whole "nothing matters" approach is exactly how this team will plummet into abysmal hockey. Doesn't have to happen, and it shouldn't.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Schultz trade was just a hypothetical idea. But I do think if GMJR believes his ask is to high or to long in term, he certainly has to balance the need this year to needs going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad