Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Hungry for Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
The third line just exists and eats time. Not necessarily bad, but at this point in Sid and Geno's careers I think they need something extra from the third (and to a lesser extent, the fourth).

I didn't get to watch JG Pageau last season but he was my top choice for the third line center before the Pens acquired Brassard. If Ottawa makes him available I hope JR has interest.

Bjugstad (+?) for Pageau

Ottawa has a lot of salary coming off their books next off-season and still need to meet the cap floor. And I'm assuming they'd still want to be relatively cheap and I'm assuming Bjugstad would be cheaper than a re-signed Pageau.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Continue here

giphy.gif

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Team practices at 12. Im praying we see some changes on Defense.

There damn well better be one. I'd have no problem if there's a 2nd.

Riikola with Schultz. And Pettersson with Marino. What's the WORST that happens. They suck defensively. Boy, that would be SOME departure from what we've got . . .

The Pens aren't going to win games playing with great defensemen. They're going to win games like the B2B cups . . . by possessing the puck.

**** Rutherford AND Sullivan (who owns the lineup card) for forgetting it.

Dangles78

Oct 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
Remember when Sully infused the forward lines with young, hungry players? Wtf happened to that mentality because the D group could use some of that. Complacency is a helluva drug.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
There damn well better be one. I'd have no problem if there's a 2nd.

Riikola with Schultz. And Pettersson with Marino. What's the WORST that happens. They suck defensively. Boy, that would be SOME departure from what we've got . . .

The Pens aren't going to win games playing with great defensemen. They're going to win games like the B2B cups . . . by possessing the puck.

**** Rutherford AND Sullivan (who owns the lineup card) for forgetting it.

Yeah, even if Marino and Rikko cant defend for shit, they'll get the puck out of the zone. Both of them can also hit the net, not "intentionally wide".

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
The third line just exists and eats time. Not necessarily bad, but at this point in Sid and Geno's careers I think they need something extra from the third (and to a lesser extent, the fourth).

I didn't get to watch JG Pageau last season but he was my top choice for the third line center before the Pens acquired Brassard. If Ottawa makes him available I hope JR has interest.

Bjugstad (+?) for Pageau

Ottawa has a lot of salary coming off their books next off-season and still need to meet the cap floor. And I'm assuming they'd still want to be relatively cheap and I'm assuming Bjugstad would be cheaper than a re-signed Pageau.

@Shady Machine

Pageau to replace Bonino?

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Yes, and you can also have some times where you run Dumo-Letang and Pettersson-Schultz extra shifts.

But, that would require competent bench management . . .

Its really strange, the whole preseason Riko was with Gudbranson and there were rumors of a JJ trade. After the trade stuff died down, JJ is back with Schultz. Im guessing its the usual JR doubling down. "We love the group and have no intentions to trade anyone".

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
@pixiesfanyo posted it, but I'd run with

Pettersson-Letang
Dumoulin-Marino
Riikola-Schultz

I don't think Riikola would work with Schultz...Schultz needs a good defensive player to prosper...swap Marino and Schultz...coaches can manage the minutes of Riikola-Marino to see what we have there and limit as necessary...Riikola can shoot the puck is the more offensive player...Marino can move the puck up to him and the forwards...it could work

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I don't think Riikola would work with Schultz...Schultz needs a good defensive player to prosper...swap Marino and Schultz...coaches can manage the minutes of Riikola-Marino to see what we have there and limit as necessary...Riikola can shoot the puck is the more offensive player...Marino can move the puck up to him and the forwards...it could work

I think we're firmly in the "yeah player x doesn't work great with schultz, but, is it really worse than with JJ" stage. Just put SOMEONE else with Schultz. Lol

Reactions: Andy99 and BHD

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'm hoping that Stegan Noesen signing is indicative of an upcoming trade to clear up cap space. I'm just worried what the Pens'll be giving up in addition to the "dead weight"...

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
If JR wants to salvage this roster (outside of dumping coaching) the moves he must try to make in order of importance are:

Horny- 5.3 Not sure if he can make this happen, terrible, terrible signing. Toot toot for me calling this at the time he signed it, and that's not even knowing about the NTC.
Bjug- 4.1 Slide Bleugar into the role or McCann, get pick or prospect back.
JJ- 3.25 They will have to eat at least a million, probably give up a pick or Jarry, not good
Schultz- 5.5 for assets! If they think Marino can be anything close, JR YOU MUST ACT. We need ASSETS, you can't simply let him walk for nothing.

If he can move 3 of the 4, things could look a lot better.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If JR wants to salvage this roster (outside of dumping coaching) the moves he must try to make in order of importance are:

Horny- 5.3 Not sure if he can make this happen, terrible, terrible signing. Toot toot for me calling this at the time he signed it, and that's not even knowing about the NTC.
Bjug- 4.1 Slide Bleugar into the role or McCann, get pick or prospect back.
JJ- 3.25 They will have to eat at least a million, probably give up a pick or Jarry, not good
Schultz- 5.5 for assets! If they think Marino can be anything close, JR YOU MUST ACT. We need ASSETS, you can't simply let him walk for nothing.

If he can move 3 of the 4, things could look a lot better.

In order of importance:

1. Johnson, Johnson, Johnson
2. Bjugstad/Guds are a tie for me but Guds moves to #2 if you can't move Johnson
3. Hornqvist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad