Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Hungry for Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I dont believe the Ho-Sang thing one bit. I feel like Sully would hate him. We also have like 15 NHL forwards once everyone is healthy.

But they won't all be healthy for a while and there'll probably be more soon enough. A bit of extra quality on the cheap to get us through that period isn't a bad idea - see how he fits at the end of it. If he fits and works some, move another. From that perspective, I think he makes sense. If I'm Rutherford, I'm kicking tires on talented forwards on the outs elsewhere right now.

The bit about Sully hating him does ring true though. I don't know if Ho-Sang works from that perspective. But if the price is right, worth a gamble.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
We need to stop with the Gud/JJ + Jugs trade ideas. That's $7 or $8 million in salary cap going one way. Not only can most teams not do that, most teams won't want to because none of those contracts end this year. Maaaaaaaaybe next year at the trade deadline you could get Gud+Jugs++ to a bad team since they'll be on their last year of the contract, but definitely not this year.

Jugs has value by himself, he should be movable to a team looking to upgrade at 3C or just wanting more depth in general. As vanilla as he might be to us with our unreasonably high standards of 3Cs, he's not a bad player.

Someone mentioned using Simon as the add. Honestly, I'd rather move him than Rust if it get's JJ or Guds out of here. I think either would be enough, it's just which one could we more afford to lose. Give me the speed, PK ability, and scoring of Rust.
They wont be going in the same trade.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Defenceman always go for premium prices as the trade deadline gets closer. As long as the Penguins are in the playoff picture JR is smart to wait. JJ might always be negative value, but it will get less negative over time.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I want Ho-Sang, the guy can play. I don't know if his attitude could survive Sid; if it can't, then oh well.

Dude is a really good playmaker, good playdriver, he just doesn't shoot. Which might drive some people on here crazy.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I want Ho-Sang, the guy can play. I don't know if his attitude could survive Sid; if it can't, then oh well.

Dude is a really good playmaker, good playdriver, he just doesn't shoot. Which might drive some people on here crazy.

We just don't have room for that type of player right now. I cannot imagine why we would do that.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
We just don't have room for that type of player right now. I cannot imagine why we would do that.
The guy is talented, and I feel like his main defect (which is not shooting) could be coached out of him. His main problem right now is a coaching staff breathing down his neck and sending him to the AHL if he commits a single turnover.

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The guy is talented, and I feel like his main defect (which is not shooting) could be coached out of him. His main problem right now is a coaching staff breathing down his neck and sending him to the AHL if he commits a single turnover.

If we were a different team in a different era in a different situation - sure. I totally see what sparks your interest. But we are a team with 3 cups in this era and our stars are closing in to the final part of their career. That type of player is a no for me right now.

My opinion. Doesn't mean much. :laugh: I totally understand why you, or others, would want to take a chance. I get it.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
If we were a different team in a different era in a different situation - sure. I totally see what sparks your interest. But we are a team with 3 cups in this era and our stars are closing in to the final part of their career. That type of player is a no for me right now.

My opinion. Doesn't mean much. :laugh: I totally understand why you, or others, would want to take a chance. I get it.
If we didn't have all these injuries I'd agree, I'd say RIGHT now is the only time I'd be interested. I think in the right situation Ho-Sang could really break out and IMO we're the right situation for the next few weeks.

If we get him I'll be happy, if we don't it won't break my heart.

Reactions: Riptide and Peat

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Riikola also being a piece to move would anger me. We need cheap NHL dmen. Focus on saving that salary at this point. I think we have tons of salary that can go:

Bjugs, JJ, and Guds all can go. ZAR can go. But we can be patient now. But those are the salaries i would want out.
Yeah moving Riikola confirms that JJ will be on this roster for the whole season. I hope we don't do it.

Reactions: ColePens

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens have some time here before the LTIR for Malkin and Rust end. GMJR has 4 players coming to the roster two on IR and two on LTIR end of the month. They need to get cap compliant and sending Riikola, Ruhwedel or Marino and the two call ups down to WB is not enough. Some on has to go.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

He’s a cheap right shot RW that is low cost and likely can be waived. How is that something we don’t need?

I’d prefer to go for a veteran like Palmeri, but cost wise if we can get Ho Sang for Riikola it at least makes sense. And Ho Sang’s big argument has been he did what the Isles asked and they still are icing him.

Reactions: Riptide and JackFr

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
and we have a staff that excels at that.:laugh:

Not really. And we’ve seen plenty of dog house players come here and succeed. See Daley, Schultz, etc.

This happened to one specific player. Daniel Sprong. Guess what. He like Ho-Sang is in the AHL. I see no reason not to buy low on a player like that. Give him a spin while we are injured and if nothing works out drop him back into waivers.

If he does work out, neat. We got a top nine right shot, RW like we needed.

Guentzel - Crosby - Ho-Sang
Simon - McCann - Hornqvist
Tanev - Blueger - Kahun
ZAR - Lafferty - AJ works for me for a 5-10 game stretch.

Reactions: Riptide

ColePens

Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
He’s a cheap right shot RW that is low cost and likely can be waived. How is that something we don’t need?

I’d prefer to go for a veteran like Palmeri, but cost wise if we can get Ho Sang for Riikola it at least makes sense. And Ho Sang’s big argument has been he did what the Isles asked and they still are icing him.

Knowing what we know... who is Ho Sang playing for? And we KNOW we need to shed salary for JJ/Guds. So we need Riikola to hopefully play that spot.

It's not even a discussion, IMO. If you take an organizational depth of young dman and move him for a RW... that is completely asinine. Now if it got rid of JJ or Gudbranson... sure. Cool! I dig it.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Not really. And we’ve seen plenty of dog house players come here and succeed. See Daley, Schultz, etc.

This happened to one specific player. Daniel Sprong. Guess what. He like Ho-Sang is in the AHL. I see no reason not to buy low on a player like that. Give him a spin while we are injured and if nothing works out drop him back into waivers.

If he does work out, neat. We got a top nine right shot, RW like we needed.
and rikky......and the group of wbs players that are now getting a chance only because every one is hurt.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Knowing what we know... who is Ho Sang playing for? And we KNOW we need to shed salary for JJ/Guds. So we need Riikola to hopefully play that spot.

It's not even a discussion, IMO. If you take an organizational depth of young dman and move him for a RW... that is completely asinine. Now if it got rid of JJ or Gudbranson... sure. Cool! I dig it.

Riikola ain’t playing if JJ is healthy. And honestly with JJ’s play to start the season I’m not sure there would be much of a difference.

That being said, I doubt NYI even wants Riikola. LD is probably their strongest organizational position. Pelech, Toews, Dobson and Leddy. Riikola would be in the A for them.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The problem with that is McCann hasn't been all that good as a center. Yeah he had the hot game against CBJ after Malkin when down, but since then it's been very hit and miss. Sure we've only had a few games to see it... but I would need to see a lot more before I'd be willing to move Bjugs and give the spot to McCann. I actually like Bluger as a C more than McCann, and I wouldn't want to give him the spot either.

I must have missed the memo that Bjugs is a good center.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Riikola also being a piece to move would anger me. We need cheap NHL dmen. Focus on saving that salary at this point. I think we have tons of salary that can go:

Bjugs, JJ, and Guds all can go. ZAR can go. But we can be patient now. But those are the salaries i would want out.

Apparently you also didn't get the memos about Bjugs being a good center, why it's okay for JR to hold onto JJ and Guds, and why ZAR should be on the ice with 3 minutes left in a tight game.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Riikola ain’t playing if JJ is healthy. And honestly with JJ’s play to start the season I’m not sure there would be much of a difference.

That being said, I doubt NYI even wants Riikola. LD is probably their strongest organizational position. Pelech, Toews, Dobson and Leddy. Riikola would be in the A for them.

Which is why the prudent move for JR-- the one he won't do-- would be to offload Bjugs and Guds and use the cap space to find a proper partner for Marino.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think the real issue is finding teams that will take Bjugstad and Gudbranson without adding cap back.

anigif_enhanced-26509-1406817810-7.gif

P.S.: You'll have to take SOME money back, of course, and probably deal them separately. Maybe you can pull off expiring contracts in the process (JGP for Bjugs, JGP/Hainsey for Bjugs/Guds). I could see something with Minnesota. There are options, but I suspect the big problem right now is that JR values Bjugs/Guds more than he values what he could do with the cap space (of course, maybe he's right, given what a mess he makes of cap space every time he gets a little, but I digress . . .).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad