Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Hungry for Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilThrillPill

Jun 4, 2016
Toronto
Okay, everyone is back healthy. Give me your top 12.

I know AJ won't be staying. I think Lafferty will (he definitely should). I think Bjugs SHOULD be traded and that Kahun will be the #13. Thinking . . .

Jake-Sid-Simon
Gally-Geno-Rust
McCann-Lafferty-Horny
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

I think that's the 'best case' scenario we can hope for.

Then, I think the move right now is you move Bjugs, try to move one of the wastes on defense (JJ or Guds), and then look for a LEGIT partner for Marino.

Dumo-Letang
???-Marino
Pets-Schultz

EDIT: I wonder if Lafferty will get a top 6 look. He's playing RW. Simon won't last forever with Sid and Jake. And, compared to Rust or Tanev (the likely RW's for Geno), Lafferty brings the 200 foot game but also has an offensive level those two don't.
What would we have to give to the Kings to get Alec martinez? Rust/Bgustad + ? (sorry if this is a fantasy world)

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Lafferty and TB have been the two guys I’ve felt could fill that role for about a year now. I always flip flop who I think would be better there. I keep weighing TB’s cerebral game vs Lafferty’s speed and size.

I argued Bjugstad and McCann aren’t the answer there last season and people were umm... less than enthusiastic about that opinion. I thought Bjugstad looked way better at pivot than McCann last season... but this pre-season/season both look blah.

I just think if TB or Lafferty can’t fill that spot, they will have to look outside the org again.

They're certainly looking good so far. Chipping in some points, plus they seem to be handling the various defensive tasks as well (including Lafferty leading the forwards in PK ice time tonight).

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
What would we have to give to the Kings to get Alec martinez? Rust/Bgustad + ? (sorry if this is a fantasy world)

Not sure Martinez is much more than a LD version of Schultz at this point in his career.

Not sure if I'd take Martinez now, but maybe in the off-season? Can play both sides, can log a bunch of minutes, and is only at a $4M cap hit for one season after this one.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
AJ should be in for ZAR still, regardless of tonights game.

ZAR always pulls this shit. I just said it a few days ago, he will soon have a big game and dummy everyone that matters into thinking he’s an NHLer.

It’s the same cycle with him every season.

Sounds like we have another 10 games until Rust & Chucky are back anyway.

Rust I want to see back soon, AG doesn’t matter to me when he returns. He looked slow and frustrating, but I suppose they will need his skill at some point here.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
ZAR always pulls this ****. I just said it a few days ago, he will soon have a big game and dummy everyone that matters into thinking he’s an NHLer.

There is of course also the off-chance that Mike Sullivan (sufficiently dummied if you listen to his post-match interview), know better than Jiggyfly in this isolated context?

I have to agree that he has played too many games post-Wilson hit where he was just not engaged enough to be effective. But when he is engaged, he is an effective player, and very solid positionally, with some scoring touch.... his averages bear that out... at a sufficiently low cap-hit. Excellent weekend from him on the whole.
Like I have said since before the season, I am expecting a break-out season from him if healthy, but the first games of the season sure made me question that.

We shall see.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
There is of course also the off-chance that Mike Sullivan (sufficiently dummied if you listen to his post-match interview), know better than Jiggyfly in this isolated context?

I have to agree that he has played too many games post-Wilson hit where he was just not engaged enough to be effective. But when he is engaged, he is an effective player, and very solid positionally, with some scoring touch.... his averages bear that out... at a sufficiently low cap-hit. Excellent weekend from him on the whole.
Like I have said since before the season, I am expecting a break-out season from him if healthy, but the first games of the season sure made me question that.

We shall see.

The ZAR cycle is

1) 5-10 games of "Uhm... well, he's not making too many mistakes, but..."

2) 5 games of "Oh hey! That's why they like him"

3) Injury

4) Go back to step 1

It has so far been infallible.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

We shall see.

ZAR as I've said before plays well in his own end and on the PK, and that will keep buying him minutes under Sullivan.

He is who he is though, and that isn't changing, despite the occasional games he does things and people get dummied. He's shown you who he is, believe it.

If not for a rash of injuries and JRs odd roster mgmt, his presence would have kept Lafferty in the A. And there are several other guys down there who do things just as well as him defensively, but they can skate and have some actual offensive skill.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
ZAR as I've said before plays well in his own end and on the PK, and that will keep buying him minutes under Sullivan.

He is who he is though, and that isn't changing, despite the occasional games he does things and people get dummied. He's shown you who he is, believe it.

If not for a rash of injuries and JRs odd roster mgmt, his presence would have kept Lafferty in the A. And there are several other guys down there who do things just as well as him defensively, but they can skate and have some actual offensive skill.
They are giving Laff some of ZAR's minutes now, which is exactly what I want. He's getting PK time. He's getting last minute time. That was defaulted to ZAR before. And ZAR's back is against the wall. Credit to him as he elevated his game.

We have some time as these injuries are decently long term. So we are going to get to see it play out.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I agree with @ColePens in PGT

ZAR saw his butt being traded ASAP with these call-ups rocking it.

That's why ZAR went hard last game.

It'll last as long as that threat remains.

It might be that, or it could be he was motivated to atone for his terribad showing in the first Jets game where he made a poor pass that led directly to an Ehlers goal...given his postgame comments, I suggest this was the reason for his improved play

Reactions: EightyOne

JakeNBake59

WizardofFire
Feb 20, 2016
Crosby's back yard
Coyotes lost Hjalmarsson for 3 months
some talk is that they will see how they go from within
also they had scouts at the jets pens game last night but take that with a pinch of salt as the coyotes play them on tuesday

but figuratively speaking who would be desirable in a trade with them? (dont say a certain winger :sarcasm:)

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
also they had scouts at the jets pens game last night but take that with a pinch of salt as the coyotes play them on tuesday

but figuratively speaking who would be desirable in a trade with them? (dont say a certain winger :sarcasm:)

They will promote Ilya Lyubushkin.

Reactions: JackFr

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

they definitely need JJ now! Who cares about the return...

edit...actually have heard proposals of Soderberg for Guds + 5th round pick...

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Wonder is Sami Vatanen is available?

If Schultz continues his meh play, why not try a 1:1 swap? Similar players, similar contracts.

Dumo-letang
Vats-Marino
Pettersson-Riiikola/Gudbranson
JJ

Look for obvious JJ/EG trade.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Nick Bjugstad isn't the answer at 3C (Riley Sheahan 2.0), so I'll take McCann at half the hit there and use the extra cap space where it can make a difference.

The difference between the two is that Bjugstad produces. He played at a 23g/36pt pace last season. And more importantly, he did so as a center. And while McCann costs a fraction of the price, he's also only providing a fraction of the results. At least Bjugs when taking the DZ draws was constantly pushing the play up the ice. If McCann was doing that I'd have less of an issue with him... but that's not what we're seeing.

I argued Bjugstad and McCann aren’t the answer there last season and people were umm... less than enthusiastic about that opinion. I thought Bjugstad looked way better at pivot than McCann last season... but this pre-season/season both look blah.

I just think if TB or Lafferty can’t fill that spot, they will have to look outside the org again.

He's played 2 games - one of which was a disaster for the entire team. I don't think forming hard opinions on that basis is all that sound.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
ZAR always pulls this ****. I just said it a few days ago, he will soon have a big game and dummy everyone that matters into thinking he’s an NHLer.

It’s the same cycle with him every season.

When you can put up the points he's put up while being good defensively, it should show that he is in fact an NHLer. Might not be a great one but make no mistake - he is an NHLer.

Why? This is his 2nd NHL season and 3rd pro season. There's absolutely room for things to change here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad