Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Hungry for Change

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
anigif_enhanced-26509-1406817810-7.gif

P.S.: You'll have to take SOME money back, of course, and probably deal them separately. Maybe you can pull off expiring contracts in the process (JGP for Bjugs, JGP/Hainsey for Bjugs/Guds). I could see something with Minnesota. There are options, but I suspect the big problem right now is that JR values Bjugs/Guds more than he values what he could do with the cap space (of course, maybe he's right, given what a mess he makes of cap space every time he gets a little, but I digress . . .).

I wonder if we could do Bjugstad or Gudbranson + some one like ZAR and a 2nd round pick (2021 obviously) for Palmeri if Jersey continues to airplane.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I wonder if we could do Bjugstad or Gudbranson + some one like ZAR and a 2nd round pick (2021 obviously) for Palmeri if Jersey continues to airplane.

I can't imagine Ray being interested in Guds, but MAYBE Bjugs.

EDIT: Jets? Maybe Bjugs and Guds for Kulikov (expiring deal) and a small plus like a 3rd or 4th? Or how about the Kings? They've got space, need help, and have a few expiring deals.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah moving Riikola confirms that JJ will be on this roster for the whole season. I hope we don't do it.

It makes it more likely but there's still openings for getting a new LD and I reckon that happens if JJ mucks up.

and rikky......and the group of wbs players that are now getting a chance only because every one is hurt.

The way the NHL constructs its roster laws means 90% of players if not more got their start because someone got hurt. Complaining that guys from WBS only got their chance due to injury is like complaining that rain is wet. And Riikola played a pretty buccaneering style last year and got a decent run from it.

I think the real issue is finding teams that will take Bjugstad and Gudbranson without adding cap back.

As long as the cap taken back is in the form of a competent LD that's fine. I think that would be possible to do with either.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
they’ve had their struggles but I’d give it a few more games because JJ-Schultz is a tire fire...the only other option would be switching Petts and Dumo and is Sully willing to break up Dumo-Letang? Doubtful...

I'd actually put MP with Marino or Guds. Yes JJ+JS isn't great... but right now neither P2 or 3 is good. So if we could get one good pairing that isn't constantly getting buried in the DZ I'd take it.

Hell, I'd do Guds for Ho-Sang, and I'm a committed member of the Truculence Committee.

I dunno... after watching that last game I was pinning for him. And it wouldn't surprise me to see him in tonight's game.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Kessel just got dealt because Sullivan got tired of his act. Now there's talk of the Pens bringing in someone who'd piss Sullivan off even more than Kessel, and without Kessel's track record of production?

The difference is that you weren't scratching Kessel or putting him on L4 without repercussions. You can do that with Ho-Sang if it's not working out. I'm with @JackFr on this. He's someone I'd gamble on and see what happens. If it doesn't pan out, no big deal.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Very early days, but New Jersey are where they are in part because Mackenzie Blackwood's goaltending stats are awful. Schneider's isn't great but he can claim to be a victim of the defence, but Blackwood is baaaaaad. He can be sent down without waivers so if they want to bring in a different back-up to challenge Schneider that is an option. Which is a long winded way of saying "I wonder whether Shero would like Jarry".

He probably wouldn't like to move Palmieri though. Statistically their one guy where him being on the ice should end well and does end well. Don't really know who else to target there. Vatanen might be gettable but does he fit what we need right now?

Also... I think that if we got a new LD, he'd probably be tried with Schultz before he was tried with Marino.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'd actually put MP with Marino or Guds. Yes JJ+JS isn't great... but right now neither P2 or 3 is good. So if we could get one good pairing that isn't constantly getting buried in the DZ I'd take it.

I mean their Corsi isn’t great, but I think JJ-Marino has been effective...they’re getting heavy DZ starts and have a decent +/-...imo they’ve been better than P2 so I’d argue we do have two out of three good pairs rn...it can always improve and I’d love to see an even better D core, and hopefully we can get there replacing JJ, but for the moment I’d give Petts-Schultz a longer look unless we’re going to sub out JJ for someone else...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Very early days, but New Jersey are where they are in part because Mackenzie Blackwood's goaltending stats are awful. Schneider's isn't great but he can claim to be a victim of the defence, but Blackwood is baaaaaad. He can be sent down without waivers so if they want to bring in a different back-up to challenge Schneider that is an option. Which is a long winded way of saying "I wonder whether Shero would like Jarry".

He probably wouldn't like to move Palmieri though. Statistically their one guy where him being on the ice should end well and does end well. Don't really know who else to target there. Vatanen might be gettable but does he fit what we need right now?

Also... I think that if we got a new LD, he'd probably be tried with Schultz before he was tried with Marino.

Is Palmieri part of NJ long term though? He likely fetches a Kyle Connor type deal.

Gudbranson + Jarry + 2nd got Palmieri is probably a pretty good deal tbh.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I must have missed the memo that Bjugs is a good center.

Based on both players entire time here, he's been better than McCann in the role. I'm also curious as to what people expect out of him. At least Bjugs could handle the role we need out of him. We have yet to see that out of McCann.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Based on both players entire time here, he's been better than McCann in the role. I'm also curious as to what people expect out of him. At least Bjugs could handle the role we need out of him. We have yet to see that out of McCann.

McCann is being asked to be a 2C. Bjugstad was asked to be a 3C. But, good point.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Is Palmieri part of NJ long term though? He likely fetches a Kyle Connor type deal.

Shero can do better, and I can't imagine he'd have any interest in Guds.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
McCann is being asked to be a 2C. Bjugstad was asked to be a 3C. But, good point.

McCann is nominally the #2 center. In reality the Penguins have a #1 line and a "please just play this shift to a draw" strategy for all other lines right now. So whether McCann or Teddy is the #2 center isn't relevant.

I like McCann a lot but he looks like a winger playing center to me. Really the closest approximation to a #2C we have healthy right now is Guentzel, but he can't be moved there for obvious reasons.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Trading Riikola doesn't make a lot of sense. Particularly in the scenarios bounced around here. We're pretty thin there as is, and we certainly don't want to trade a capable NHL LD with that small a cap hit. So on several fronts it wouldn't be to our advantage.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The difference is that you weren't scratching Kessel or putting him on L4 without repercussions. You can do that with Ho-Sang if it's not working out. I'm with @JackFr on this. He's someone I'd gamble on and see what happens. If it doesn't pan out, no big deal.

I just have an inherent dislike for the player from following his career and watching him play all through his junior days and see him being a "malcontent" everywhere he went, complaining when he felt he didn't get a chance, and then continue with that same sort of attitude during his pro career with the Isles/BPT makes me just want zero to do with the kid.

And that's just based on attitude.

In terms of on-ice play, I just don't see any point in adding a guy like that with Sullivan as the coach (or any coach, really, who expects responsible play away from the puck). All the stuff people criticized Sprong for? Ho-Sang's like a cockier, more stubborn version of Sprong. The only difference is one is more of a playmaker and the other a goal scorer. But everything that held Sprong back is the same things that will hold Ho-Sang back. And maybe more because Ho-Sang doesn't keep quiet about any issues he has with the coach/management.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
McCann is nominally the #2 center. In reality the Penguins have a #1 line and a "please just play this shift to a draw" strategy for all other lines right now. So whether McCann or Teddy is the #2 center isn't relevant.

I like McCann a lot but he looks like a winger playing center to me. Really the closest approximation to a #2C we have healthy right now is Guentzel, but he can't be moved there for obvious reasons.

I didn't comment on what McCann is. I commented on what he's being asked to be. And, whether he's a center or a winger, Nick Bjugstad isn't the answer at 3C (Riley Sheahan 2.0), so I'll take McCann at half the hit there and use the extra cap space where it can make a difference.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

No idea bruv. But - he does have another year after this one so he's not in use or lose territory, and I do think Shero's mind will be dominated (this year at least) by trying to persuade Taylor Hall that NJ is a place to win, and I don't think that happens if he lets go of one of their best current performers. So I think its probably irrelevant whether he's part of them long term; he'll stay until the summer barring an extraordinary offer. That is a pretty big offer there if you like Gudbranson, but...

I mean their Corsi isn’t great, but I think JJ-Marino has been effective...they’re getting heavy DZ starts and have a decent +/-...imo they’ve been better than P2 so I’d argue we do have two out of three good pairs rn...it can always improve and I’d love to see an even better D core, and hopefully we can get there replacing JJ, but for the moment I’d give Petts-Schultz a longer look unless we’re going to sub out JJ for someone else...

JJ-Marino has a -1? That's not that decent...

Lies, damn lies and statistics, but right now we have a grand total of one defensive pairing this season with an xGF% north of 43. I bet you can guess who that pairing is formed of, but if you can;t, it's the one with no member named in your post ;)

Maybe the stats are wrong on this tiny sample but if they're not, we have one good pairing and two gigantic mountains of burning cat vomit. That has to be addressed sooner rather than later.

There is one thing you really struggle with in debating these players and I think it's your emotional connection to them. Every player is different. Every player does get a little more/less cushion with mistakes for what they bring. However there should, at some time, be a standard. Just some examples:

1) Rust: I thought Sully actually was VERY good w/ Rust last year. He gave him time to fight through struggles, which IMO Rust deserved after being such a team player for a couple years. When he didn't, he was moved down the lineup because he can fulfill that role. Rust took full responsibility and when he came out the other side, it wasn't shocking even in the least. He deserved criticism. He criticized himself. It is what it is. And I thought the Pens did the right thing by not panicking and trying to move him. I was pissed this year when he was going to be attached to JJ as trade bait.

2) Letang: Another example you really struggle with. This guy deserves THE BIGGEST leash you can find. Because his great is so damn great. But his bad can be frustrating. I think the coaches do a great job. They've pulled him from the powerplay. They've tried to coach. Letang has given back by trying out their style and even switching his offseason workouts to injury prevention. And that may be why he started a tad less explosive this year but is really finding his legs now. But in all the criticism that has been deserved, the adoration that has been deserved, and even the times #58 is hard on himself - the right move forever has been to keep #58 until his contract is up. And i'm very happy the Pens did so.

3) Sheary: Here is an example because Sheary was anywhere from L1 to L4 and he continued to prove he has NHL scoring ability. When he struggled, he was moved down. When he was good, he was moved up. I still stand by the fact I would have kept him. But that's just me. But what I loved about Sheary is that he could actually play a bottom 6 role and do it well. Same with Rusty.

But now Simon. Simon is an interesting player. He's a top 6 NHLer... or a top 6 AHLer. It doesn't seem like he has that ability to play a bottom 6 role. So it is unique and a tad different. So this is not comparable to Rust/Sheary or anyone else. If anything - it's comparable to Sprong but in a completely different way. Sprong could only shoot like an NHLer. Nothing else. Simon has allllll the talent in the world but struggles defensively and cannot shoot. I think they are giving him chance after chance, and I like that. Might as well find out what you do before moving him. So right now I think it's playing out just fine. I want to see where it goes. Then i look into my post up above outlining the 3 major issues this team has. Then i piece it all together and try to make the best roster adjustment.

Replying to this here because I don't want it to be list when Post-Game Thread is locked, but I think Simon has been decent in the bottom 6. He was really good with that Simon-Bjugstad-Hornqvist line but I liked him with Cullen too. I think that being down in the bottom 6 helps Simon a little at times in that he gets to be the most offensive forward on his line and not be as defensive as he has to be in the top 6 - and also lesser opposition. Lesser opposition tends to mean more space and that gives him that extra fraction of a second he needs to make plays sometimes. I think he's more Rust/Sheary than Sprong. And I think like Rust, he has a tendency to run hot and cold and ideally you'd give him limited minutes (or even bench him) when cold and give him more love when hot. Not quite so feasible right now with all the injuries and kids.

I do worry that Simon might be a bit like Sheary though in that he always looks better regular season than play-offs. But take that as it comes. Sully's been willing to bench him in the past and if Simon is your 13th forward, you're doing okay.

edit: Completely separate point. Bjugstad's 3rd line was the most effective 3rd line we've seen since HBK. I think that goes underappreciated/ignored a bit.

But, at the same time, Bjugstad's line was effective under a very structured model where we tried to hold onto the puck a lot. We seem to be going back more to Sully's original speed game. The Bjugstad 3rd line wasn't that. That's why I'm not against the idea of seeing whether we should move on after a few more games from McCann.

Last edited:
Reactions: Riptide

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I didn't comment on what McCann is. I commented on what he's being asked to be. And, whether he's a center or a winger, Nick Bjugstad isn't the answer at 3C (Riley Sheahan 2.0), so I'll take McCann at half the hit there and use the extra cap space where it can make a difference.

I'm okay losing Bjugs. But I'd have Teddy at 3C and McCann on wing.

Reactions: KIRK and ownal

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm okay losing Bjugs. But I'd have Teddy at 3C and McCann on wing.

I'm a bit hesitant to pencil Blueger in at this point as 3C. He's shown some offensive punch over small sample sizes, but I'm be worried about whether that can carry over to a full 82 games. IMO, the 3C has to be in the 30+ point range as well as do the "other stuff", or it's a weakness. I'm not sure with so few games under his belt, if Blueger's proven enough that I'd be confident he can score 30+ as well as do the other stuff that you'd require of your 3C.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'm a bit hesitant to pencil Blueger in at this point as 3C. He's shown some offensive punch over small sample sizes, but I'm be worried about whether that can carry over to a full 82 games. IMO, the 3C has to be in the 30+ point range as well as do the "other stuff", or it's a weakness. I'm not sure with so few games under his belt, if Blueger's proven enough that I'd be confident he can score 30+ as well as do the other stuff that you'd require of your 3C.

I'll admit that I'm really hoping the 3C answer is internal at this point. I'm already exhausted at the prospect of another season of "we gotta replace Bonino, 3C is the most important position..." talk.

You'd hope between Bjugs/McCann/Teddy/Lafferty, we don't feel obligated to mortgage the farm chasing the mystical 3C again.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

Lafferty and TB have been the two guys I’ve felt could fill that role for about a year now. I always flip flop who I think would be better there. I keep weighing TB’s cerebral game vs Lafferty’s speed and size.

I argued Bjugstad and McCann aren’t the answer there last season and people were umm... less than enthusiastic about that opinion. I thought Bjugstad looked way better at pivot than McCann last season... but this pre-season/season both look blah.

I just think if TB or Lafferty can’t fill that spot, they will have to look outside the org again.

Reactions: ColePens and KIRK

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'd simply ask Velluci if he knows/can work with Ho-Sang.
If he said "Yea", i'd toss a low pick or something for that experiment.
I wouldn't let him near the big boys unless he proved his worth in Wilkes with Velluci.

ETA: On the 3C bit, i believe wholeheartedly that Lafferty can take that role.
He can fly, he knows the DZ, he's chippy/will throw hits that matter/will grow to be offensive enough and he's getting better at FO's.

Last edited:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Lafferty and TB have been the two guys I’ve felt could fill that role for about a year now. I always flip flop who I think would be better there. I keep weighing TB’s cerebral game vs Lafferty’s speed and size.

I argued Bjugstad and McCann aren’t the answer there last season and people were umm... less than enthusiastic about that opinion. I thought Bjugstad looked way better at pivot than McCann last season... but this pre-season/season both look blah.

I just think if TB or Lafferty can’t fill that spot, they will have to look outside the org again.

Okay, everyone is back healthy. Give me your top 12.

I know AJ won't be staying. I think Lafferty will (he definitely should). I think Bjugs SHOULD be traded and that Kahun will be the #13. Thinking . . .

Jake-Sid-Simon
Gally-Geno-Rust
McCann-Lafferty-Horny
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev

I think that's the 'best case' scenario we can hope for.

Then, I think the move right now is you move Bjugs, try to move one of the wastes on defense (JJ or Guds), and then look for a LEGIT partner for Marino.

Dumo-Letang
???-Marino
Pets-Schultz

EDIT: I wonder if Lafferty will get a top 6 look. He's playing RW. Simon won't last forever with Sid and Jake. And, compared to Rust or Tanev (the likely RW's for Geno), Lafferty brings the 200 foot game but also has an offensive level those two don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad