Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Hi-ho away as in the sea

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
  • As cool as the idea is, no Kovalchuk please. We're better without Kessel, we really don't want to reacquire him.
  • Galchenyuk has been much better as of late and looked like the guy who was the top winger in AZ last year. This is his chance to step up and earn himself a lot of money from someone else next year.
  • As much as I want to jump to Kreider or Saad immediately, at this point we owe it to ourselves to take a long look at what we have in Galchenyuk first. If we see it and still want to pay big at the deadline (i.e. 1st and top prospect - do it).
Jake is incredibly important to our team but we can win without him. We're winning without #87 and we get him back in a week. We can make it without #59 though it's gonna suck. Get well soon and we'll see you in the conference finals, Jake.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Idle question - would people have been willing to trade Pettersson for Kapanen/Johansson if Dumo hadn't gone down?

Except for the fact Saad has put up 47+ points 5 times and Bjugstad has done it once. Sure.

Saad gets a Brassard like return. I think we could do Galchenyuk, Poulin and a conditional 3rd for him. Which I’ve pointed out.

I guess you could add Bjugstad in that.

Agreed that Saad is more valuable than Bjugstad but no way he should get a Brassard like return, not when he's 6m vs 5m, W vs C, and is a lot further away from 50+ seasons or 10+ playoffs. There was pretty little question about Brassard still having the ability to be a 5m C when we got him; Saad being a 6m W is a little up in the air. Handing over a Brassard-esque return for him is a no no for me (not to mention Galchenyuk and Poulin is probably worth more than Cole and Gustavsson).

Actually, tbh, looking at their last two seasons, Bjugstad and Saad pretty much matched each other for production. And Bjugstad is 2m cheaper and can play C. I'm not sure I do agree that Saad should be more valuable than Bjugstad now. Certainly not much more than him. There's a strong possibility than Bjugstad will be better value for money than Saad next season.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
  • As much as I want to jump to Kreider or Saad immediately, at this point we owe it to ourselves to take a long look at what we have in Galchenyuk first. If we see it and still want to pay big at the deadline (i.e. 1st and top prospect - do it).
the biggest down side to bringing in new players is fit (and given them time to adjust)....... and if we trade a bunch of assets for a player and he doesn't fit, we're stuck. (and we have seen that before) so trying def-rent players we already have is the much safer way to go. if they don't fit we don't lose anything.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
If we re-sign Jarry for 2 years would he still be an RFA once that deal was up?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
If we re-sign Jarry for 2 years would he still be an RFA once that deal was up?

If he’s 27 when the contract expires he would be a UFA. He’ll be 25 by the end of this season and a 2 year deal would take him right to free agency. And anyone wanting to sign Murray to a one year deal, same thing. He’d be a UFA after next season.

ETA: DeSmith would be a UFA in 2022-23, too. Jarry 2022-23, Murray, 2021-22.

Last edited:
Reactions: wej20

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Give me Zucker or Saad, please and thank you.

Zucker is the superior deal. Cheaper, longer term, more productive, and I think he'd mesh perfectly with either Sid or Geno. That is the ideal deal IMO.

I'm not as sold on Saad as most.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Happy New Year everyone!
I don’t have access to the Rossi article this morning, so this summary is from another poster....FYI

“Rossi has an article today talking about how the Penguins handle Guentzel injury.

For one, Rutherford said it is “was too early to tell” if his deadline plans changed. On Monday, he told Rossi he almost defintely would wait until last minute to make moves, if any. With Guentzel out, Rutherford said “I need some time to think through this."

Rossi suggested after adding Poulin and Legare to the prospect pool last year, the Penguins should be more inclined to deal the 2020 1st rounder, even for a rental.

1) Says #1 trade target should be the Rangers Chris Kreider, that Rangers prices is reportedly a 1st round pick, and although they would probably like a pick higher than the Penguins, trading within the division shouldn't be an issue. Rossi also says doesn't think Kreider will pass up chance at free agency.

2) Sign the free agent Russian winger, Kovalchuk. Rossi mentions a few things, then basically says forget it. Rutherford isn't interested, and says even Malkin has said he would not be a fit here. (I've never seen a Malkin quote on this).

3) Option 3 was to be bold, and dangle Matt Murray. Put out feelers for what type of return he could bring. Jarry's play is one reason. Another is Rossi states Rutherford and Murray's reps don't appear to be on the same page about a long term deal. He has had little communication with them, and says GMJR's words regarding Murray don't sound like a GM wanting to sign him long-term. Rossi also mentioned that Rutherford got burned by Cam Ward, giving him a big extension after his Cup win.

Rossi says the dream scenario would be sending Murray and Galchenyuk out for a 3C and vet goalie, and floated the idea of Murray & Galchenyuk to Ottawa for Pageau and Craig Anderson. Murray is an RFA that would need to be resigned. Andersen, Galchenyuk, and Pageau are all UFAs.”

What creative ways could the Penguins make up for the loss...

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I dont think we can/should trade Chucky now. Like it or not with Guentz out we now need to be a little lucky and have him pan out.

McCann Sid Kahun
Chucky Geno Rust
Simon Bjugs Horny
ZAR Blueger Tanev
Laff Blandisi

This is pretty much what we should be looking at now, and JR’s job is to get the most significant improvements he can on this. The above can beat any team if Sid clicks with those guys and Chucky finds his best self.

We can hope for a miracle recovery on top, but 4-6 months is a ***** of a diagnosis.

However... if I am JR I am absolutely postponing trades as long as possible until we see whether we get some luck with our in-house options for Sid and Geno.

TR, you think we see something like this? I think it's possible.

Simon, Crosby, Hornqvist
Kahun, Malkin, Rust
Tanev, McCann, Galchenyuk
ZAR, Blueger, Blandisi
Lafferty

Or...

Simon, Crosby, Hornqvist
McCann, Malkin, Rust
Kahun, Blueger, Galchenyuk
ZAR, Blandisi, Tanev
Lafferty

I agree with keeping Gally, but not where to slot him. And Sid might be forced to have him on his RW until something is done if he can't do Horny for to long. I don't think putting Gally back at LW is in their best interests. Plus, even if they still decide he's expendable he is driving up his value playing where he's showing signs of re-emergence.

Heck, I'd love to see them try---> Kahun, Galchenyuk, Tanev which releases McCann for one of the top wing slots.

McCann, Crosby, Hornqvist
ZAR, Malkin, Rust<--- we know this happens from time to time/can flop him with Simon too
Kahun, Galchenyuk, Tanev
Simon, Blueger, Blandisi
Lafferty.

Roster is really flexible. In game they can go about any direction they want if something isn't going.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Happy New Year everyone!
I don’t have access to the Rossi article this morning, so this summary is from another poster....FYI

“Rossi has an article today talking about how the Penguins handle Guentzel injury.

For one, Rutherford said it is “was too early to tell” if his deadline plans changed. On Monday, he told Rossi he almost defintely would wait until last minute to make moves, if any. With Guentzel out, Rutherford said “I need some time to think through this."

Rossi suggested after adding Poulin and Legare to the prospect pool last year, the Penguins should be more inclined to deal the 2020 1st rounder, even for a rental.

1) Says #1 trade target should be the Rangers Chris Kreider, that Rangers prices is reportedly a 1st round pick, and although they would probably like a pick higher than the Penguins, trading within the division shouldn't be an issue. Rossi also says doesn't think Kreider will pass up chance at free agency.

2) Sign the free agent Russian winger, Kovalchuk. Rossi mentions a few things, then basically says forget it. Rutherford isn't interested, and says even Malkin has said he would not be a fit here. (I've never seen a Malkin quote on this).

3) Option 3 was to be bold, and dangle Matt Murray. Put out feelers for what type of return he could bring. Jarry's play is one reason. Another is Rossi states Rutherford and Murray's reps don't appear to be on the same page about a long term deal. He has had little communication with them, and says GMJR's words regarding Murray don't sound like a GM wanting to sign him long-term. Rossi also mentioned that Rutherford got burned by Cam Ward, giving him a big extension after his Cup win.

Rossi says the dream scenario would be sending Murray and Galchenyuk out for a 3C and vet goalie, and floated the idea of Murray & Galchenyuk to Ottawa for Pageau and Craig Anderson. Murray is an RFA that would need to be resigned. Andersen, Galchenyuk, and Pageau are all UFAs.”

Right. So they’re keeping the 1st, signing Kovalchuk, making a move for a winger soon, not getting Kreider and signing Murray long term.

Reactions: EightyOne

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Right. So they’re keeping the 1st, signing Kovalchuk, making a move for a winger soon, not getting Kreider and signing Murray long term.

Well it’s Rossi...take it for what it’s worth...not much

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Here’s another article mentioning familiar trade candidate names with some charts...

Brandon Saad and Chris Kreider top a wish-list for the Pens to replace Jake Guentzel
I'm not as high on Kreider as some might be. He has good speed but his hockey IQ is meh. Zucker would be at the top of my wish list, although he's not exactly a clutch playoff performer. Conversely, Saad has a wealth of playoff experience and has performed well when it mattered most. Albeit on a much better team.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Happy New Year everyone!

Happy New Year!

I'm not sending out Galchenyuk, huge mistake at the moment. The Pens will be over flooded with centers, and I'd send out Bjugstad before Gally. You just lost your best winger. You can't send out your next top pedigree winger out after Rust.

I hope he really thinks harder. Go a route where you use Bjugstad, Lafferty, DeSmith, 1st 2020, POJ,(if it makes sense, even if I don't condone it) Murray.

The Pens have plenty of quality to get what they need, more than I have listed above.

Pageau should be a target, not a fan of Murray going for Andersen, but I'm really not a fan of adding Pageau at the cost of Galchenyuk.

It's not really adding depth. A Pageau/Bjugstad at whatever the extra cost is, is worth ten fold.

Bjug (sorry to say) is the guy without a niche here. Maybe if Hornqvist wasn't here he could be tried for the net front presence on the PP by just being mass vs sight for the goaltender. They are flooded at RW and he's not as valuable at the C-position with at the cost of 4.1 is the closest denominator to covering bringing in Pageau at 3.1

Bjug, 1st 2020 and Lafferty
for
Pageau +2nd (Dallas)

Keep it simple, and get a D-man elsewhere.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Happy New Year!

I'm not sending out Galchenyuk, huge mistake at the moment. The Pens will be over flooded with centers, and I'd send out Bjugstad before Gally. You just lost your best winger. You can't send out your next top pedigree winger out after Rust.

I hope he really thinks harder. Go a route where you use Bjugstad, Lafferty, DeSmith, 1st 2020, POJ,(if it makes sense, even if I don't condone it) Murray.

The Pens have plenty of quality to get what they need, more than I have listed above.

Pageau should be a target, not a fan of Murray going for Andersen, but I'm really not a fan of adding Pageau at the cost of Galchenyuk.

It's not really adding depth. A Pageau/Bjugstad at whatever the extra cost is, is worth ten fold.

Bjug (sorry to say) is the guy without a niche here. Maybe if Hornqvist wasn't here he could be tried for the net front presence on the PP by just being mass vs sight for the goaltender. They are flooded at RW and he's not as valuable at the C-position with at the cost of 4.1 is the closest denominator to covering bringing in Pageau at 3.1

Bjug, 1st 2020 and Lafferty
for
Pageau +2nd (Dallas)

Keep it simple, and get a D-man elsewhere.

Yeah, I really don't think that Murray is in the plans to be traded before the end of the season but who knows...if JR could get a very good veteran goaltender back, he might if the rumors about Murray thinking he's playing well and doesn't want to change things up are true...I do think JR will be trading for a winger, and out of all the options, I think Saad is the most likely...just because he's overpaid for next year and Bowman likes to get out of those contracts...Chicago is always tight to the cap so I don't see trading Bjug or Gally there to be an options...they'd want picks and/or prospects or a young player with control...could definitely see an interest in Murray here too with their goaltending up in the air...

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
As someone who has never been a fan I'm surprised I'm even saying this but for now they should plug Gooch into Jake's spot. I don't think it's going to work out but it's simply the most logical thing to start with considering his uptick in play as of late.

Just totally gutted about all of this. Went from being immensely excited about this team to resigned to them struggling to score much of the rest of the year. That sounds melodramatic and I hope it proves to be... but I dunno if people really get how super important Jake was to feeding this team steady goal production. The guy is damn near automatic at this point in his career and now that's gone. And to make matters worse it's not as if this team is bursting with intriguing scoring wings in-waiting. It was said earlier but I really, really don't envy JR now.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Bjugstad, Riikola, a 1st and 3rd for Saad and Gustafsson would be what I'd be pushing for. Essentially breaks down to Bjugstad and a 1st for Saad and Riikola and a 3rd for Gustafsson. Saad slides onto Crosby's LW, which opens you up to keeping Guentzel with Malkin once Guentzel gets back, McCann stays at 3C (which is where he should be playing) and Gustafsson is a big upgrade on Riikola and a potential option for a Schultz replacement.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
Well right now when our season is in jeopardy there should be more desire to take a gamble and dangle Murray for wingers help. Thats a gamble but what can we do at this point.. We are short of players and we have a surplus at G position..

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
As someone who has never been a fan I'm surprised I'm even saying this but for now they should plug Gooch into Jake's spot. I don't think it's going to work out but it's simply the most logical thing to start with considering his uptick in play as of late.

Just totally gutted about all of this. Went from being immensely excited about this team to resigned to them struggling to score much of the rest of the year. That sounds melodramatic and I hope it proves to be... but I dunno if people really get how super important Jake was to feeding this team steady goal production. The guy is damn near automatic at this point in his career and now that's gone. And to make matters worse it's not as if this team is bursting with intriguing scoring wings in-waiting. It was said earlier but I really, really don't envy JR now.

Since Jake went down (uncontrollable sobbing in the background), I’ve been playing this on repeat with the “s” removed...he’s gone and it’ll take the devil to replace him....

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Bjugstad, Riikola, a 1st and 3rd for Saad and Gustafsson would be what I'd be pushing for. Essentially breaks down to Bjugstad and a 1st for Saad and Riikola and a 3rd for Gustafsson. Saad slides onto Crosby's LW, which opens you up to keeping Guentzel with Malkin once Guentzel gets back, McCann stays at 3C (which is where he should be playing) and Gustafsson is a big upgrade on Riikola and a potential option for a Schultz replacement.
Why would Chicago be drawn into such a deal? I'm not seeing much in the way of motivation from their perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad