Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Hi-ho away as in the sea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
Bless his heart and that inside/outside move he'd always try with nearly no good results but keep going back to anyway. Nobody could quite put themselves offside like ol' Rico could, either.

But no seriously those were some dark but surprisingly fun years. Helps put stuff in perspective, too. I was always very, very proud of those ~11-14K fans that just... kept on showing up despite how comically terrible and futureless the team was at that time.

We used to get into the games with student rush pass- $20 for essentially glass seats. Maybe that's partially why I'm cool with selling out now and ok with a basement dweller for another short stint. Honestly that really made the Sid/Geno era that much sweeter.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Koltsov was one of my favorites. It's just a shame his brain couldn't catch up to his legs.:laugh:

His hands couldn't catch up to his legs, either.

Really nothing could catch up to Kolsov's legs at the time... including opposing players. Problem was what he would choose to do after that. Which was largely nothing.

Was easily one of my favorite prospects, too at one point. The first prospect I ever actually followed was Morozov.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
We used to get into the games with student rush pass- $20 for essentially glass seats. Maybe that's partially why I'm cool with selling out now and ok with a basement dweller for another short stint. Honestly that really made the Sid/Geno era that much sweeter.

For sure. I remember going to at least one completely free game. I don't even know if it was a student program (though I was in school at the time) but I remember the seats were right at the glass and I got to see the Penguins shoot at the net I was basically sitting behind twice. Not that it mattered much since the other net was the one being filled. But I think I just had to be a registered member of the official site (had been for a while at that point) and apply for them in advance. Sure enough a pair of tickets showed up a few days later. Literally giving them away... haha. Easy to laugh now but pretty hopeless at the time.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
That and I think it was a panicked response to getting swept so badly. Saad is also more of a “this is what he is” player now, and in his last 3 seasons has had 35 in 82, 47 in 80 (48 pace) and is currently on pace for 43 points. Chicago isn’t what they used to be, but he’s not reliably putting up low 50s every season anymore.
We know exactly what we'd be getting I believe. He's not Jake, not even close. This is to help bridge that gap a bit but clearly we can't fully make up for what we lost here. I honestly don't see many better options relative to our situation. If you get a Kreider you get a guy who's not exactly the best guy defensively. His offensive acumen is better and he is more fleet of foot, but I question his decision making and puck management (as he has a lot more giveaways than takeaways) -24. Saad's more sound and is a +11 in takeaways I believe. Saad while unremarkable is the safer bet IMO. Zucker if he comes back ok, is also better at managing the puck.

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
His hands couldn't catch up to his legs, either.

Really nothing could catch up to Kolsov's legs at the time... including opposing players. Problem was what he would choose to do after that. Which was largely nothing.

Was easily one of my favorite prospects, too at one point. The first prospect I ever actually followed was Morozov.

Yeah, there were a lot of stumbling trying to make a decision, and that sometimes meant crashing into the boards of his own accord.

Back then I used to really follow everything and have grown out of it due to obligations as a growing adult. Loved going to both drafts here.

Reactions: BlindWillyMcHurt

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Yeah, there were a lot of stumbling trying to make a decision, and that sometimes meant crashing into the boards of his own accord.

Back then I used to really follow everything and have grown out of it due to obligations as a growing adult. Loved going to both drafts here.

Yeah I mean that's the only reason I'm even here... wanted to keep up with the team's prospect pool and soak in as much as I could. That's literally all they had going for them, after all.

I remember "losing" Ovechkin and being massively pissed. But then catching up with some Geno highlights from the KHL (RSL at the time) and feeling much, much better afterward.

Think it worked out OK.

But yeah like you... the years have just gotten busier and busier. The Penguins found success and I've largely fallen way behind on keeping up with prospects. Though something tells me that that cycle will start over again far sooner than I want it to.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Saad, Zucker or Palms would be perfect really.
Kreider behind them.
Lower key easier to acquire guy like Namestnikov is starting to intrigue me more and more. Very good defensively/can playmake and has good history playing with elite talent.
Just dunno if JR would go back to the OTT well again after the Brass deal.
But if you did get him right at this moment, you could still be a player at the DL since you'd still have top assets and cap room.

It really is too bad Kessel denied the Zucker deal. What could have been...

I know his deal was signed with TOR but if i was ever a GM, NMC/NTC's only go to generational talents.
If can handcuff you in many ways now with the expansion draft rules.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Saad, Zucker or Palms would be perfect really.
Kreider behind them.
Lower key easier to acquire guy like Namestnikov is starting to intrigue me more and more. Very good defensively and has good history playing with elite talent.
Just dunno if JR would go back to the OTT well again after the Brass deal.

I know his deal was signed with TOR but if i was ever a GM, NMC/NTC's only go to generational talents.
If can handcuff you in many ways now with the expansion draft rules.
Palmieri would be great but the asking price would likely be way too much. Zucker and Saad make a lot of sense. I agree about Kreider, I'd put him in the next tier.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I still don't think Palmieri or Kreider are realistic options for us. I highly doubt the Devils (and Shero) or the Rangers are looking to bolster the Penguins' Cup chances by trading us players that perfectly fit our needs.

Saad or Zucker are probably the guys we have a shot at, Zucker if the Wild start to flounder and Guerin feels the need to make a move.

I'm also genuinely curious as to what Nashville would pony up for Schultz now that Perry just brained Ellis in the Winter Classic. Don't know how bad Ellis is injured, but it looked preeeeeeeetty brutal.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Another option could be Rakell since we love trading with ANA...but I’m not sure he’s available and likely would cost a lot if he was...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->