Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread:(G-DAY) Ned; Watch Out For That First Step, It's A Doozy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I don't really care about the end of contracts, tbh, because the end of Petry's contract is likely at the end of Sid and Geno and Letang's careers anyway. I have a really hard time believing we'll even be making the playoffs in 2025.
come on man! you know every September we are cup contenders.:laugh: who do you think your talking to?

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Yeah, but there's probably a few pure and innocent naifs out there who think this team is going to keep on being in the playoffs FOR EVER and that Sid is never going to retire. I want to spare their feelings.
:)
edit; good thing i don't have a clue what naifs means :laugh: but i'm sure its a compliment.

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
I think Marcus Petterson is hungry. And because he's Swedish, I think he's hungry for fish.

This this how content works here?

ronduguayshair

Oct 23, 2017
Only somebody with season tickets would know the answer.

I wouldn't guess what a player is thinking. That's the point. I am a season ticket holder though. Seeing the whole ice it is sometimes glaring who's not buying into the system and take shifts off.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens have to sign Letang as a top pairing RD who has some good play left. How long not sure but he isn't showing any real signs of physical limitation currently. I think 3 years at say 8 million is my number. Longer than that or more money is problematic as to Pens having enough talent to have any shot here.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Speaking about re-signing our FAs, I wonder what people make of Burke’s comments to Seth Rorabaugh…after saying the team basically had no cap space to be players at the TDL, he said the following:….

“(Hextall) has been in talks with both of those players (Geno and Letang) We’ll see where it goes. It’s too early. We still have plenty of time before we have to make a decision. We’ve had discussions with them, and we’ll keep those confidential. But certainly, we’ve had substantive talks with both players. We’ll see where it goes. We have time.”
• What does the future hold for the Penguins? What will they look like on the second anniversary of Burke and Hextall’s arrival?
“We’ll have a lot more answers after the trade deadline. That’s when we’ll know if players are going to extend or not or they’re going to go somewhere else. But we’ve got lots of time. I’ll answer that question at the right time.”

Overall, he could be saying: 1) we’re going to trade UFA players who don’t commit to resigning before the deadline; 2) it could just be posturing to get a deal done that the Pens favor if there’s an impasse; or 3) he could just be blowing smoke regarding either/or not making moves at the TDL or doing something at the TDL regarding our players. Thoughts?

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
Pens have to sign Letang as a top pairing RD who has some good play left. How long not sure but he isn't showing any real signs of physical limitation currently. I think 3 years at say 8 million is my number. Longer than that or more money is problematic as to Pens having enough talent to have any shot here.

Well it looks like he's going to want 4-5 years. He's not going to continue to produce at a near PPG pace. He'll probably fall back to somewhere between .70-.80. That's still hard to replace.

I don't understand everyone's pessimism for this team. With all the injuries and playing in a competitive division we're 8th in point % in the league. This team is absolutely a contender. Now when the playoffs roll around and they stop calling penalties it will be a crapshoot again but there are a lot of teams that wish they were in this position. As soon as our players turned 30 everyone started putting nails in the coffin.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Well it looks like he's going to want 4-5 years. He's not going to continue to produce at a near PPG pace. He'll probably fall back to somewhere between .70-.80. That's still hard to replace.

I don't understand everyone's pessimism for this team. With all the injuries and playing in a competitive division we're 8th in point % in the league. This team is absolutely a contender. Now when the playoffs roll around and they stop calling penalties it will be a crapshoot again but there are a lot of teams that wish they were in this position. As soon as our players turned 30 everyone started putting nails in the coffin.

it’s not just the age…Do you trust Jarry or any of our other goalies to play above a .920 save % in the POs or outplay the opposing goalie, which is a must? Do you trust Sullivan to make the necessary adjustments in the POs, which likely will include breaking up GCR, as we have two years of history that says that line is not a PO line that will get thru the interference and win board battles? Your answers to those questions will say everything about what you think our chances are this postseason

Last edited:

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Speaking about re-signing our FAs, I wonder what people make of Burke’s comments to Seth Rorabaugh…after saying the team basically had no cap space to be players at the TDL, he said the following:….

“(Hextall) has been in talks with both of those players (Geno and Letang) We’ll see where it goes. It’s too early. We still have plenty of time before we have to make a decision. We’ve had discussions with them, and we’ll keep those confidential. But certainly, we’ve had substantive talks with both players. We’ll see where it goes. We have time.”
• What does the future hold for the Penguins? What will they look like on the second anniversary of Burke and Hextall’s arrival?
“We’ll have a lot more answers after the trade deadline. That’s when we’ll know if players are going to extend or not or they’re going to go somewhere else. But we’ve got lots of time. I’ll answer that question at the right time.”

Overall, he could be saying: 1) we’re going to trade UFA players who don’t commit to resigning before the deadline; 2) it could just be posturing to get a deal done that the Pens favor if there’s an impasse; or 3) he could just be blowing smoke regarding either/or not making moves at the TDL or doing something at the TDL regarding our players. Thoughts?
I think he’s just saying words without them meaning anything. Hextall has always been pretty tight lipped if I recall, and Burke is probably just playing along. I wouldn’t be surprised if they already have a framework in place for new contracts with Malkin and Letang

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

“Pittsburgh's the last team to win with a small, fast team. The last 3 Cup winners have been big, they play long pants hockey, they play ugly hockey. I think we need to look at that & see, have we kept up with the joneses here?"
-Burke

I wouldn’t bother paying attention to anything he says. How’d they do at making the team more physical this summer?

200.gif

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad