Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread:(G-DAY) Ned; Watch Out For That First Step, It's A Doozy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
Petry kind of makes sense to me if we're doing a hail-mary reconfigure of the blueline in the offseason and we're trading off Dumo, Petts/Marino, and Zucker and thus can accomodate the extra hits. But I don't think that's a feasible solution or even really a good idea.

That said, trading Petts and taking on Petry means we're only adding about 2.5 in cap, so again, trimming the fat elsewhere makes it feasible.

I'd obviously like Petry over Petts.....hell I'd take Petry over Klingberg whos been thrown around. I guess I am more or less saying the signing of Petry should have nothing to do with Tanger. #1 Priority on the backend should be Tanger

If you have the option to gut Petts and shed some other weight and ad Petry sure I'm down, although the 6.25 per is a little rich for me for someone who will be 38 at the end of their contract. Petry isn't as athletic as Letang so I don't thing he would age as well. Could he be sufficient, absolutely, but IDK if I wanna pay 6.25 for someone who is sufficient

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't really care about the end of contracts, tbh, because the end of Petry's contract is likely at the end of Sid and Geno and Letang's careers anyway. I have a really hard time believing we'll even be making the playoffs in 2025.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I dunno why people don't want Petry, he would be amazing on the 2nd pair. I think his crappy season is more due to Habs blowing goats. If he can be retained by 2 teams to 4M then even better.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I dunno why people don't want Petry, he would be amazing on the 2nd pair. I think his crappy season is more due to Habs blowing goats. If he can be retained by 2 teams to 4M then even better.

I get the worry because he's gonna be old at the end of that deal.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I don't because we only need to worry about the next few years, after that we will be used to getting bad contracts for a while as we rebuild.

Yeah, but there's probably a few pure and innocent naifs out there who think this team is going to keep on being in the playoffs FOR EVER and that Sid is never going to retire. I want to spare their feelings.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Yeah, but there's probably a few pure and innocent naifs out there who think this team is going to keep on being in the playoffs FOR EVER and that Sid is never going to retire. I want to spare their feelings.
No no, Crosby will be joining the rebuild playing until he's 60 years old.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
I don't really care about the end of contracts, tbh, because the end of Petry's contract is likely at the end of Sid and Geno and Letang's careers anyway. I have a really hard time believing we'll even be making the playoffs in 2025.

My point is there are concerns of Petry falling a little with his 6.25 cap hit even as soon as next year. That's a hit and a little risky considering we probably only have a 3 year max window, as I said I don't think he would age as well as someone who is more athletic like a Letang. Maybe something safer out there with a Petts/Zuck dump....IDK

Reactions: AuroraBorealis

PensPlz

Dec 23, 2009
Pittsburgh
Petry isn't going to do anything. I think this defense is good enough as is. It all just depends if Jarry is going to shit the bed again or not. If he does then Petry won't help. Need goals to compensate in order to get us out of the first round.

And secondary goal scoring is drying up already. Banking on Rodrigues, Kapanen, Zucker, and even Carter to get hot again (like he was last year) to score in the playoffs is a recipe for failure. Without them guys chipping in then the Pens are dead in the water if Jarry turns into swiss cheese again

If Zuck is out until the playoffs (or even if we can keep him out and then he makes a miraculous recovery ala Kane and Kucherov) then trade for someone hungry for a cup and can play playoff hockey. Someone like Giroux. It will cost. But if this is the last cup run of the big 3, then do it. Idc.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
My point is there are concerns of Petry falling a little with his 6.25 cap hit even as soon as next year. That's a hit and a little risky considering we probably only have a 3 year max window, as I said I don't think he would age as well as someone who is more athletic like a Letang. Maybe something safer out there with a Petts/Zuck dump....IDK
I'm against Petry as well. He's already fallen off a cliff this year. 3 more years at 6.25 and hoping for a resurgence is a no-no. He can't move like Letang. Those later years are gonna be rough most likely.
I would much rather make the safe play and pay Tanger 2.25 more AAV or w/e. He's still playing well, now. Still highly motivated and expecting to play until 40. We already know his fit here. Petry is guesswork.

What's most encouraging for me with Letang is that he's been more durable in his later years. This is a big tipping point because availability used to be a huge concern. Considering his impact on the games, this is critical.

Last 3 years:
61/69 games
55/56 games
42/46 games (Covid)

Pretty impressive at his age, with his history and role on the team.

I don't because we only need to worry about the next few years, after that we will be used to getting bad contracts for a while as we rebuild.
I'm not against taking bad contracts that seep into our rebuild years, but only if we're getting assets in return. That would not be the case here. We may not be concerned about the future today, but during our rebuild we will be.
We need to start going younger so we can recoup assets near the end of their contracts.

With good management we could shorten the rebuild by a year or 2. Can't just do whatever and ignore rebuild years because we're not contenders. Every year needs to be part of the process to get us closer to the Cup.

When we signed JJ to 5 years people said we wouldn't be in contention at the end of it anyway. Here we are now though, with his buyout costing us 2 mil next year and limiting our flexibility with signings in the summer.

Last edited:
Reactions: Giskard

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I personally don't care 3 or 4 years from now, that's my window to win. Maybe McDrai decide to bolt Edmonton and join Pens when Crosby retires in which case I would care but that's likely not happening. I don't wanna rush the rebuild.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I personally don't care 3 or 4 years from now, that's my window to win. Maybe McDrai decide to bolt Edmonton and join Pens when Crosby retires in which case I would care but that's likely not happening. I don't wanna rush the rebuild.
That's how you feel right now. In 4 years you may feel differently. Who knows?
People's perceptions of our team in 2022 vary greatly from what they were expecting the team to be now when talking about it in 2017.

I'm not talking about rushing the rebuild. I just mean not tacking on years needlessly through bad decisions.
Petry won't be able to replace what Letang does, and letting Letang walk to save 2 mil a year would crater us imo.
That position is too influential on results for the team to to leave it with question marks.

Petry's play has hard declined this year and I read he's struggling mentally. Too risky for my blood.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
People's perceptions of our team in 2022 vary greatly from what they were expecting the team to be now when talking about it in 2017.

I'm not talking about rushing the rebuild. I just mean not tacking on years needlessly through bad decisions.
Petry won't be able to replace what Letang does, and letting Letang walk to save 2 mil a year would crater us imo.
That position is too influential on results for the team to to leave it with question marks.

Petry's play has hard declined this year and I read he's struggling mentally. Too risky for my blood.

Pens would keep Letang though, Petry (retained) would be filling in for Marinos spot at 2RD. I aint taking Petry at 6.25, but at 4M I would.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I get the worry because he's gonna be old at the end of that deal.

I guess the reality of the deal is it has to involve Pettersson or Marino. So realistically you are stuck with one of these players for the next three years. Would you rather take the risk on the player that has shown he can be a # 1 on a Stanley Cup Finalist or the Olli Maatta clone?

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

He's struggling mentally because he's stuck in Canada with their more extreme COVID restrictions. He wants to be in the US, if we can get him for like Petts, POJ and a pick, you gotta risk it.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
I dont think the Pens should or will trade POJ. We need cheap, young defensemen on our blueline. Trading them away just puts us in the same position we are now, with an overpriced blueline sucking capspace away from fixing other issues.

Reactions: Tender Rip

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Three or four years from now? Is Sid and Geno gonna find the fountain of youth or something? We're running on fumes now and you think the window is open for three or four more years? :eek:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Oooooopppps, yea. Hextall’s lack of activity is getting to my brain.
What can he do under the circumstances? We're not trading high draft picks, we don't have cap space and we don't have much in the way of young assets down on the farm to offer.

Maybe Kapanen if he continues to trend as he has but what exactly do you expect him to do? A quality depth forward or defensemen or a back up goalie. Something asset wise that won't cost much. We're in a very precarious position.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's 2.25 extra million for a top pairing RD.

He was a #1 in the Canadian division, posting 20 games 0 goals, 6 assists and a +/- negative 2.

That extra 2.25 hampers icing a competent defensive corps while you hand out two good defensive parts and a pick.

This is just the worst possible player to be going after. On ice, cap wise, age and term. Plus the possibility of losing Letang over it.

It's quite brutal. TBO

Nothing suggests a good outcome with a Petry acquisition.

We should be trying to add depth for a bottom pairing RD position. That's not Petry in any way.

Reactions: Pengu

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
He was a #1 in the Canadian division, posting 20 games 0 goals, 6 assists and a +/- negative 2.

That extra 2.25 hampers icing a competent defensive corps while you hand out two good defensive parts and a pick.

This is just the worst possible player to be going after. On ice, cap wise, age and term. Plus the possibility of losing Letang over it.

It's quite brutal. TBO

Nothing suggests a good outcome with a Petry acquisition.

We should be trying to add depth for a bottom pairing RD position. That's not Petry in any way.

Petry has been one of the best analytical defensemen in the league for the last 4 or 5 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad