Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Does Anyone Know What’s Going On?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

Some gems from that thread:

I've said this a few times, but they can have a bottom 6 of:

Sundqvist-Fehr-Dupuis
Kunitz-Bonino-Bennett

That 3rd line is looking REALLY good right now when Fehr comes back.

Bonino-Fehr-BB (hope he can bounce back).

Plotkinov-Crosby-Kessel
Perron-Malkin-Hornqvist
Bonino-Fehr-BB

Damn, that top 9 is looking like a fantasy pipedream. Compare that top 9 to the one Shero got fired to. IS THIS REAL LIFE????? JR in over a year has done an INFINITY BETTER job then Shero did in his 8 years, like holy ****! Can't wait for October.

Bonino-Sundqvist-Fehr

Kunitz - Crosby - Dupuis
Kessel - Bonino - Malkin
Rust - Fehr - Hornqvist
Perron - Craig Adams Re-signed - Plotnikov

Not picking on anyway, just funny. I be fair, I thought they were signing Cody Franson so...

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Sutter’s stats previous to being acquired looked damn good too.. mainly for the same reasons..

I mean Bonino has scored similar rates (per 82) for every team he has played for. Before during and after the Penguins.

Edit: Bonino also had a longer history and on more than 1 team plus good playoff stats in multiple years.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I mean Bonino has scored similar rates (per 82) for every team he has played for. Before during and after the Penguins.

Edit: Bonino also had a longer history and on more than 1 team plus good playoff stats in multiple years.

Sutter wasn’t necessarily bad for us in the playoffs following 2013.

I dunno, I think you are rewriting history a little here.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Is it just me, or is this board's search function terrible? I'm trying to find posts where I mention Bonino, but the results only go back to April of this year.

Believe me, I struggled to find the confirmed Bonino trade thread. Went back and it's not in the timeline it should be. I still don't know where it came from. Used search and it finally popped up.

Weird.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I remember Sutter having a few really strong games against Columbus/NY in the 2014 playoffs.

Had me believing he had more potential for all of one whole offseason.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Sutter’s stats previous to being acquired looked damn good too.. mainly for the same reasons..
I'm confused. Do we now think Sutter and Bones were bad outside of the HBK run?

Sometimes I don't understand what this board wants from a 3C.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm confused. Do we now think Sutter and Bones were bad outside of the HBK run? Sutter was limited offensively and sort of a middle of the pack 3C, but both produced what a 3C is supposed to and both were good defensively.

Sutter's offensive game was limited. He wasn't a good playmaker, didn't have high offensive IQ, and mostly generated off the rush, which is why most were happy to see him go. We got him fairly young so people thought he might develop in those areas, but he actually regressed.

Bonino's a goal-scorer too, but he's got a more diverse set of tools and he's a smart offensive player.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Sutter's offensive game was limited. He wasn't a good playmaker, didn't have high offensive IQ, and mostly generated off the rush, which is why most were happy to see him go. We got him fairly young so people thought he might develop in those areas, but he actually regressed.

Bonino's a goal-scorer too, but he's got a more diverse set of tools and he's a smart offensive player.
Agreed on his limited offensive game absolutely. He's probably lower third offensively but was always upper third defensively (not sure about the last few seasons in that regard). I get he might not have fit the best but I don't think I could call him a bad 3C. Or at least not as bad as some make him out to be.

At a certain point people have to start to ask themselves if every 3C that comes through is bad, are my expectations too high or are we just not setting up our third line to be productive for other reasons?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Sutter turned me off during the ‘13 run and he was playing like he had a severe flu every night.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Agreed on his limited offensive game absolutely. He's probably lower third offensively but was always upper third defensively (not sure about the last few seasons in that regard). I get he might not have fit the best but I don't think I could call him a bad 3C. Or at least not as bad as some make him out to be.

At a certain point people have to start to ask themselves if every 3C that comes through is bad, are my expectations too high or are we just not setting up our third line to be productive for other reasons?

Sutter has similar strengths and weaknesses as McCann at center does so far in his young career - fast, defensively sound, can score goals, but isn't someone you can count on to control play the way you need a center to. That's why the latter moved to wing.

Our expectations are where they need to be, I think. We're trying to win a championship, and our path to a championship has always required a 3C who can handle heavy defensive responsibilities and control play in the offensive zone.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA

I think my point more is that saying the 15-16 team looked better because of Bones and Cullen is Monday Morning QBing. Most of us thought Bonino would be 4C or a winger once Fehr was healthy.

Reactions: EightyOne

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I think my point more is that saying the 15-16 team looked better because of Bones and Cullen is Monday Morning QBing. Most of us thought Bonino would be 4C or a winger once Fehr was healthy.
Fehr point

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
And what if he ends up getting the Craig Smith deal? You still feel that way? What if he wants a two year deal, but wants expansion draft protection?

alot of what ifs there......all I am saying is that Granlund would be a welcomed addition to the roster in my eyes in respose to your "None of these players are great and would likely do very little to push the needle to making us any more competitive than we are right now"

I disagree and think Granlund would move the needle in making our team competitive while also providing a player who could play anywhere on the top 9.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
alot of what ifs there......all I am saying is that Granlund would be a welcomed addition to the roster in my eyes in respose to your "None of these players are great and would likely do very little to push the needle to making us any more competitive than we are right now"

I disagree and think Granlund would move the needle in making our team competitive while also providing a player who could play anywhere on the top 9.

If we can get Granlund for one year at 2-3 mil sure. But, if he is willing to sign that contract why hasn’t he?

And like I said is Granlund a notable improvement over any of our top six forwards?

If not, why is he signing here?

And if he is a bottom six forward are we simply paying for a name that people know versus a player that fits in the bottom six? Seems a whole lot like what we did to Galchenyuk last year granted Granlund is better defensively.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Maybe my brain's short-circuiting, but I don't remember it that way at all, and it seems like an odd proposition to project a natural center like Bonino- who had been more productive than Fehr - to 4C or the wing.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Maybe my brain's short-circuiting, but I don't remember it that way at all, and it seems like an odd proposition to project a natural center like Bonino- who had been more productive than Fehr - to 4C or the wing.

He hadn’t at that point though. He had been more productive up with Getzlaf and Perry and on the PP with ANA and VAN fans weren’t happy with the deal, but also not super happy with Bones either.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
He hadn’t at that point though. He had been more productive up with Getzlaf and Perry and on the PP with ANA and VAN fans weren’t happy with the deal, but also not super happy with Bones either.

Sure he did. He was coming off his most productive season at ES to date, where he was more productive than Fehr at ES and overall.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Sure he did. He was coming off his most productive season at ES to date, where he was more productive than Fehr at ES and overall.

Judging by your posts in the thread you didn’t bring this up once.

We are talking retrospectively how we felt in 2015 heading into the season. Most of us had Fehr painted as the legit 3C (including the press) and Bonino and Cullen pieces that would fit in around Beau Bennett and Plotnikov.

I’m just saying maybe we just take a step back and look at the fact we have McCann, Bleuger, Rodrigues and Jankowski all in similar spots.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Judging by your posts in the thread you didn’t bring this up once.

We are talking retrospectively how we felt in 2015 heading into the season. Most of us had Fehr painted as the legit 3C (including the press) and Bonino and Cullen pieces that would fit in around Beau Bennett and Plotnikov.

I’m just saying maybe we just take a step back and look at the fact we have McCann, Bleuger, Rodrigues and Jankowski all in similar spots.

I'm just saying that surprises me. I don't remember projecting him as anything other than our 3C, but I might be wrong.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm just saying that surprises me. I don't remember projecting him as anything other than our 3C, but I might be wrong.

Well, Fehr was going to be injured heading into the season. So he was our hypothetical 3C.

Then he proceeded to put up 8 points in 42 games and everyone wanted him traded. Which is another lesson to learn from. We won a cup with a 3C that scored 9 goals all season with most of those coming in March and April.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013

O not a ton... just a 50 point shutdown center that's good on the dot. Really no team has won a cup without this standard of production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad