Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Does Anyone Know What’s Going On?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
How exactly is Wennberg not coming off an exceptionally poor offensive season?

He had a worse G/P60 than Jankowski. Let's be honest. As per usual, you had names you wanted. You didn't get one of them, so now you're upset.

Wennberg has always been a terrible goal scorer. That's what your argument hinges on? Come on.

All along, I said the Pens needed a playmaking presence on the 3rd line to help a shooter like McCann - whether he was playing wing or center. The Pens didn't get it, in any form.

We have McCann and Bleuger who will be a fine 3C and 4C roll out if Jankowski or Rodrigues don't work out.

See above.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Wennberg has always been a terrible goal scorer. That's what your argument hinges on? Come on.

All along, I said the Pens needed a playmaking presence on the 3rd line to help a shooter like McCann - whether he was playing wing or center. The Pens didn't get it, in any form.

See above.

Wennberg isn't a playmaking presence though. As @JackFr's chart points out he is in the bottom percentile for primary assists.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

"I like this for the Panthers. Low risk, Wennberg is still a good passer, and Florida can give him every opportunity to make up some of his lost ground. In terms of playdriving, he’s an average player. Had some poor shooting luck this year so could be a percentage regression candidate." JFresh's Free Agent Frenzy Live Blog

He's an average player at play driving which is what I assume we mean by "playmaker" in the 3C hole right? Or do you think our 3C just needs to be able to make passes?

Point still stands, I'm not really keen on saying any of Wallmark, Wennberg or Jankowski are notably better than each other. Bleuger should be 3C over all of those options.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
"I like this for the Panthers. Low risk, Wennberg is still a good passer, and Florida can give him every opportunity to make up some of his lost ground. In terms of playdriving, he’s an average player. Had some poor shooting luck this year so could be a percentage regression candidate." JFresh's Free Agent Frenzy Live Blog

He's an average player at play driving which is what I assume we mean by "playmaker" in the 3C hole right?

I want a player who can get McCann the puck, winger or center. Jankowski ain't that.

Reactions: 888 98 twins

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
We have top 6 players and we have bottom 6 players. I do not think we have "3rd line" or "4th line" players. Camp and the ensuing results will determine who plays where. I think at the moment, everyone is getting too hung up on 3C vs 4C as if there is a huge difference at the moment. I high doubt this will be the markings of the past where a 3rd line plays 15 min and a 4th line plays 6-7 min. I think both will be getting around the 12 min mark unless there is a line that starts to differentiate themselves. I don't think that will be based on names either. If it's Scevious-Jankowski-ERod rocking it and become deserving of more minutes...who the fudge cares? What's the argument against that? Is it embarrassment that ERod is your 3RW? And who are you "embarrassed" by? Some dopes on HF? This is all before any of them set a foot on the ice.

Let's see how camp and the first 5 or so games of the RS goes before we mutilate our bodies and minds over 3rd line vs 4th line or the names on the back of the jerseys at each position.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
And what makes you so confident Wennberg is over Bleuger?

I don't. But I do know that JR has said he envisions McCann with Jankowski, and that's a big part of what bothers me. Jankowski is the opposite of what I wanted in a complementary player for McCann.

The other part is that I simply don't think we have enough offense in the bottom 6.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
We have top 6 players and we have bottom 6 players. I do not think we have "3rd line" or "4th line" players. Camp and the ensuing results will determine who plays where. I think at the moment, everyone is getting too hung up on 3C vs 4C as if there is a huge difference at the moment. I high doubt this will be the markings of the past where a 3rd line plays 15 min and a 4th line plays 6-7 min. I think both will be getting around the 12 min mark unless there is a line that starts to differentiate themselves. I don't think that will be based on names either. If it's Scevious-Jankowski-ERod rocking it and become deserving of more minutes...who the fudge cares? What's the argument against that? Is it embarrassment that ERod is your 3RW? And who are you "embarrassed" by? Some dopes on HF? This is all before any of them set a foot on the ice.

Let's see how camp and the first 5 or so games of the RS goes before we mutilate our bodies and minds over 3rd line vs 4th line or the names on the back of the jerseys at each position.

I never put too much stock into camp. I’ve seen players look good in camp but nothing really comes of it . It’s when the real games start you get to see what’s what.

It is fair to make some assumptions before they start playing because we have the history of each player available to us all. We’ve seen a little (or a lot) of each player too and there is lots of stats available.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I definitely agree we have a clear demarcation between top 6 and bottom 6 this year. Can’t decide how to feel about that.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The season needs to start so that JR can begin unloading first round picks to fix his mistakes from this offseason.

1st round pick and Poulin for a caliber of player JR could have simply signed this offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad