Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Does Anyone Know What’s Going On?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I think my point more is that saying the 15-16 team looked better because of Bones and Cullen is Monday Morning QBing. Most of us thought Bonino would be 4C or a winger once Fehr was healthy.

Exactly.

Stops by to see people talking about Mike Johnson, Eric Fehr, and Brandon Sutter . . . :laugh:

AnimatedIgnorantAmphibian-small.gif

Tell your boy JR to stop signing the modern equivalents of these guys, then

Reactions: KIRK and Gurglesons

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
I always remembered him being pissed it was the 4c spot and was moved to wing. They traded for Bones the same day they signed Fehr and unless that bloke took too many hits to the head, he couldn't have expected to be 3C over Bones.

I am pretty sure it was for the 4C spot, Cullen was originally brought in as depth for the LW/C option while Fehr recovered from his surgery, took over the 4C job far too easily as an old timer.

I mean even as wingers we started that season with something like Kessel, Plotnikov (lol), Kunitz, Dupuis, Hornqvist, Perron...
This is what I remember too. Bonino was 3C, Fehr to be 4C with Cullen as the temporary 4C until Fehr recovered from I think it was a shoulder injury. But also remember people being excited or at least happy about all three, even Cullen as a depth guy.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Jankowski won't be our 3C.

Regardless of who is 3C and who is 4C, the plan from our front office seems to be for Blueger and Jankowski to be our bottom 6 centers, and for McCann to move to LW. I haven't seen anything that suggests otherwise, but if you have, I'd like to see it.

If that's the case, our bottom 6 centers going into '15-'16 were roughly twice as productive at ES than our present tandem. That's a huge difference.

And once again. Nobody was making these arguments in 2015. You're using ES points which nobody was talking about back then on this forum.

People used total production, and Bonino was more productive by any metric.

This idea that Fehr was widely projected by our fanbase to be the 3C over Bonino despite being the older, less productive player isn't something I recall, or have seen anything to support.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I hope the Pens keep a close eye on Roslovic this year and through the Seattle expansion.

RH shot, lots of speed and skill, and Winnipeg doesn't seem to know what to do with him. I'd like to see what he could do on RW anywhere in our top 9.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Regardless of who is 3C and who is 4C, the plan from our front office seems to be for Blueger and Jankowski to be our bottom 6 centers, and for McCann to move to LW. I haven't seen anything that suggests otherwise, but if you have, I'd like to see it.

If that's the case, our bottom 6 centers going into '15-'16 were roughly twice as productive at ES than our present tandem. That's a huge difference.

This idea that Fehr was widely projected by our fanbase to be the 3C over Bonino despite being the older, less productive player isn't something I recall, or have seen anything to support.

This is correct. Obviously bottom 6 center is a question mark for this team, but we do need to be honest that this top 6 should be one of the best of the Crosby/Malkin era (emphasize should).

The bottom 6 is going to come down to chemistry and McCann being a 15+ goal guy.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
This is correct. Obviously bottom 6 center is a question mark for this team, but we do need to be honest that this top 6 should be one of the best of the Crosby/Malkin era (emphasize should).

The bottom 6 is going to come down to chemistry and McCann being a 15+ goal guy.

The top 6 does look really good, provided Kapanen can find chemistry with one of our star centers in a way that he couldn't in Toronto.

Reactions: Shady Machine

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Hey now. Id take Bobby Farnham over ZAR.

Change my Mind.

Hilarious that after he got claimed by NJ he went on a mini-terror to start there. I was happy for him but people here were pulling their hair out. Quite funny.

Pretty sure we had the actual Stefan Noesen (or family member) posting here at one point. The profile made a thread on him and when I looked at his posts he seemed to post about Noesen and only Noesen with every team he went to before/during/and after us

Jesus, I forgot all about that poster and Noesen himself. Obscure Pens player #123566. Remember having Zack Boychuck?

I hope the Pens keep a close eye on Roslovic this year and through the Seattle expansion.

RH shot, lots of speed and skill, and Winnipeg doesn't seem to know what to do with him. I'd like to see what he could do on RW anywhere in our top 9.

Yeah, that would be a great get. It's just my gut feeling, but I do think GMs will be more active trading leading up to the draft. I think VGK got quite the bit of the sandwich that irked some, especially with the deals after the draft. I can't imagine Francis will be left with the full coffers like VGK was. Could be wrong but I think GMs go more out of their way to reposition themselves better and with that, I think we will see a lot of "take this contract off my hands and I'll give you a 1st" stuff. I don't anticipate Seattle being very good their first year.

Off the wall deadline deal hope:

Pens trade for Ryan Getzlaf at 50%.

Getzlaf has been their franchise player for quite awhile now though...is he the kind of guy that would leave?

Reactions: Tacitus Kilgore

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Our front office doesn’t make decisions. The day Fehr signed he was slated as the 3C by the same sources you are citing. So either go one way or the other.

On the other side of the coin our wingers heading into 15-16 on the bottom six were Farnham, Perron, Bennett and Plotnikov so a total of 22 ES points amongst them heading into G1.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Our front office doesn’t make decisions. The day Fehr signed he was slated as the 3C by the same sources you are citing. So either go one way or the other.

On the other side of the coin our wingers heading into 15-16 on the bottom six were Farnham, Perron, Bennett and Plotnikov so a total of 22 ES points amongst them heading into G1.

Link? I haven't been able to find a quote like that anywhere. The only reference to Fehr I saw from Rutherford was this:

Fehr offers versatility as he can play either right wing or center, Rutherford said.

Contrast with Bonino:

“Nick is a really smart player,” Rutherford said. “He really has good hockey sense. He can play in all situations. He can play on the half wall of the power play. He also kills penalties. He’s a guy who almost got 40 points last year and 15 goals.”

Doesn't sound like JR was slotting Fehr in over Bones.

Penguins ship Brandon Sutter to Canucks, sign center Eric Fehr

And we had all of Bonino, Fehr, and Cullen heading into '15-'16. The bottom 6 was in pretty good shape.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Link? I haven't been able to find a quote like that anywhere. The only reference to Fehr I saw from Rutherford was this:

Contrast with Bonino:

Doesn't sound like JR was slotting Fehr in over Bones.

Penguins ship Brandon Sutter to Canucks, sign center Eric Fehr

And we had all of Bonino, Fehr, and Cullen heading into '15-'16. The bottom 6 was in pretty good shape.

Tuesday’s deal was simply an opportunity to land two potentially key forwards while only giving up only one. Bonino is a center, but could move to the wing on either Sidney Crosby’s or Evgeni Malkin’s line. He had 15 goals and 39 points last season. Fehr, 6-4, 215 pounds, can take Sutter’s job as No. 3 center. He recorded 19 goals and 33 points last season.

“(Fehr) was a very good shut down guy in that third center position,” Rutherford said.

Sutter has a $3.3 million cap hit, and he would have been an unrestricted free agent next summer. The Penguins believed they wouldn’t be able to re-sign him. Bonino makes $1.9 million, and the savings on exchanging those two players gave the Penguins the cap space required to sign Fehr, who also has the potential to play wing in the top six if the Penguins want size there.

Once again, yes we had good bottom six depth in Fehr, Cullen, and Bonino.

But, many of us were not out there thinking it was contender status stuff. We thought Fehr was a 20 goal guy and was the real steal for that depth and that Bonino would be a good 4C with Cullen fitting in until Fehr worked through his injuries. We got some surprises from players.

Much like this team this year. I don't know how you look at our bottom six and think it isn't good. Nearly every player in the bottom six Bleuger, Tanev, McCann, Sceviour, Jankowski has 10 - 15 goal potential.

Bennett - Bonino - Perron
Farnham - Cullen - Plotnikov

2017 is hard to show because Crosby was injured on G1, but Tom Sestito was a regular.

Jared McCann - Nick Bjugstad - Dominik Kahun
Zach Aston-Reese - Teddy Blueger - Dominik Simon

Are these bottom six much better than what we will potentially run next year?

McCann - Bleuger - Tanev
Rodrigues - Jankowski - Sceviour

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Once again, yes we had good bottom six depth in Fehr, Cullen, and Bonino. But, many of us were not out there thinking it was contender status stuff. Much like this team this year. I don't know how you look at our bottom six and think it isn't good. Nearly every player in the bottom six Bleuger, Tanev, McCann, Sceviour, Jankowski has 10 - 15 goal potential.

I mean, that showed Yohe's opinion, and then Rutherford saying what Fehr did last year, not where he was slotted for the upcoming year with a player like Bonino on the team.

I don't think it's a good bottom 6 right now. I can't bring myself to project every player who had a down year last season automatically returning to form. Center is by far the most important forward position and we're a lot weaker there based on how these players performed last year. Whatever their "potential", the likes of Jankowski and Sceviour were not offensive factors at all in their most recent season.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I mean, that showed Yohe's opinion, and then Rutherford saying what Fehr did last year, not where he was slotted for the upcoming year with a player like Bonino on the team.

I don't think it's a good bottom 6 right now. I can't bring myself to project every player who had a down year last season automatically returning to form. Center is by far the most important forward position and we're a lot weaker there based on how these players performed last year. Whatever their "potential", the likes of Jankowski and Sceviour were not offensive factors at all in their most recent season.

I find it odd you spent all summer defending how we should keep McCann and now that we have him he is a weak option at C. Like what exactly did you expect to happen if we kept McCann?

And to your first point, so basically exactly what Rutherford and our media has said about Jank right?

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I’m proud to say I was high on bringing in Cullen. Given how freaking good he was for us.

There was definitely some uncertainty about 3C though. We were just pumped to be rid of Sutter.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I find it odd you spent all summer defending how we should keep McCann and now that we have him he is a weak option at C. Like what exactly did you expect to happen if we kept McCann?

I like McCann, but I said all along that if we needed to move him to get a good 3C, I'd do it.

And to your first point, so basically exactly what Rutherford and our media has said about Jank right?

No, Rutherford spoke about what he figured the 3rd line would be next season:

Rutherford suggested Rodrigues, capable of playing all three forward positions, will be the team’s third-line right winger.

“If you look what we did today, (Jared) McCann would be the left winger, Jankowski would be in the middle and Rodrigues on right wing,” Rutherford said in a conference call. “That gives us speed on the wings, that gives us the defensive center that we’re looking for.”

California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) | TribLIVE.com

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I like McCann, but I said all along that if we needed to move him to get a good 3C, I'd do it.

No, Rutherford spoke about what he figured the 3rd line would be next season:

California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) | TribLIVE.com

Don't see anywhere in there where Rutherford says they will be the 3rd line. He just said that McCann - Jankowski - Rodrigues would be a line. He said it possibly could be the 3rd line.

"He scored enough goals that we would be comfortable with him as our third-line center because of his defense," Rutherford said. "And if he can score in that 14-17 goal range like he did the two years prior, we'd be pretty pleased with that."

He's doing the same exact thing he did with Bonino and Fehr in the quotes and you're taking one and running it while diminishing the other and saying Bonino is the "clear" 3C.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Don't see anywhere in there where Rutherford says they will be the 3rd line. He just said that McCann - Jankowski - Rodrigues would be a line. He said it possibly could be the 3rd line.

"He scored enough goals that we would be comfortable with him as our third-line center because of his defense," Rutherford said. "And if he can score in that 14-17 goal range like he did the two years prior, we'd be pretty pleased with that."

The phrasing and his line projection make the implication pretty clear. But if Rutherford WERE expecting NotMcCann-Blueger-Tanev to form a good 3rd line using this roster, that's just as worrisome.

Neither of those lines look good.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
The phrasing and his line projection make the implication pretty clear. But if Rutherford WERE expecting NotMcCann-Blueger-Tanev to form a good 3rd line using this roster, that's just as worrisome.

Neither of those lines look good.

So basically, we should've kept McCann, but also somehow acquired a 3C despite literally not a single 3C worth while moving in the off season.

Oh, I forgot.. Alexander Wennberg and his 5 goals (4ES) and 17 (13ES) assists or Wallmark and his 12 goals (9ES) and 13 assists (9ES) is a notable improvement over Bleuger in the 3 spot cos we know their names and they weren't here last year.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
So basically, we should've kept McCann, but also somehow acquired a 3C despite literally not a single 3C worth while moving in the off season.

I literally said a post ago that I said all summer I would've moved McCann to get a good 3C.

I also would have preferred UFAs Wennberg or Wallmark - who are not coming off exceptionally poor offensive seasons - to Jankowski. This is all old hat though. The bottom line is that our bottom 6 is bad, and it's obviously worse than what we were working with entering '15-'16, particularly at center. There's no equivalency here.

That doesn't mean it can't improve, but that's where it's at now.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I literally said a post ago that I said all summer I would've moved McCann to get a good 3C.

I also would have preferred UFAs Wennberg or Wallmark - who are not coming off exceptionally poor offensive seasons - to Jankowski. This is all old hat though. The bottom line is that our bottom 6 is bad, and it's obviously worse than what we were working with entering '15-'16, particularly at center. There's no equivalency here.

That doesn't mean it can't improve, but that's where it's at now.

How exactly is Wennberg not coming off an exceptionally poor offensive season?

He had a worse G/P60 than Jankowski. Let's be honest. As per usual, you had names you wanted. You didn't get one of them, so now you're upset.

We have McCann and Bleuger who will be a fine 3C and 4C roll out if Jankowski or Rodrigues don't work out.

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2F8d2f26e5-d661-40d3-8de8-902a9489e89c_1272x816.png

Like, I have no idea why you'd want Wennberg at nearly 3 times the salary of Jankowski other than that you know his name unless you think the issue with our bottom six is needing a guy who never shoots, can't shoot and passes a lot that is overrated defensively.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad