Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Does Anyone Know What’s Going On?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I don’t see the big difference between this team’s wing depth and the 15-16 squad heading into the series.

I don’t really look at it like that. That’s 5 years ago. Different team. We have 3 forwards, 2 D men & 0 goalies from back then.

My opinion is based on what I think this team can do this season. Sure we can make the playoffs but I don’t see anything too special.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
I don’t really look at it like that. That’s 5 years ago. Different team. We have 3 forwards, 2 D men & 0 goalies from back then.

My opinion is based on what I think this team can do this season. Sure we can make the playoffs but I don’t see anything too special.
At this point with us it's a lot less about line-up and much more about desire. I haven't seen the Pens wanting it more than the other team the last 3 series.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

And I think the general sentiment heading into 15-16 was the same. Will it end the same way? Doubtful, but it is important to remember when viewing the squad and feeling like we missed out on mild improvements like Granlund or Haula.

Maybe it’s just me, but I feel nearly identical about this roster with those adds versus seeing what happens if we are forced to go with O’Connor or Lafferty in season.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
And I think the general sentiment heading into 15-16 was the same. Will it end the same way? Doubtful, but it is important to remember when viewing the squad and feeling like we missed out on mild improvements like Granlund or Haula.

Maybe it’s just me, but I feel nearly identical about this roster with those adds versus seeing what happens if we are forced to go with O’Connor or Lafferty in season.

I don’t feel that way. We need more or should have started a retool a year earlier but that’s past now.

Yeah overall talent wise things might not be a huge difference but I think we have more bland players (not sure if that’s the word I’m looking for). Where as back then there was more players who were very good to elite at certain aspects that matched up well with where the league was at.

The mix was better overall. The team is less likeable now from my perspective.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don’t feel that way. We need more or should have started a retool a year earlier but that’s past now.

Yeah overall talent wise things might not be a huge difference but I think we have more bland players (not sure if that’s the word I’m looking for). Where as back then there was more players who were very good to elite at certain aspects that matched up well with where the league was at.

Like who exactly? We had a past his prime Kunitz in the top six and Rob Scuderi, Olli Maatta and Ben Lovejoy playing top four minutes in our D.

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida

Vanilla is the word you are looking for.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
was anyone really stoked on bones before the first cup run?
I thought a lot of people were? I don't watch a ton of games outside of the Pens, so most info I get on Western Conference players is from this board. The impression I got on here when he was signed was a top-tier defensive 3C who could chip in some points.

I pretty distinctly remember when Sutter was traded here people were optimistic because he was one of the best shut down centers in the league and was young, but people being more into Bonino because he was up there as well defensively but had produced more offensively.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Listening to Schism and thinking about Sully playing JJ-Schultz during "I KNOW THE PIECES FIT".

source.gif

LrQa.gif

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005

I think it is great that we have that turnover because that was needed to keep the team young and fast around the core. The players left are all the top players with Crosby, Malkin, Rust, Dumoulin, and Letang.

This team has added some nice pieces over those years since that Cup team. Guentzel, Zucker, and Kapanen have been added to the top six to replace Sheary, Kunitz, and Hornqvist from that teams top 6. Those are all major upgrades from that Cup team. Sheary obviously was never that type of player who should of been in the top 6 and Kunitz was on his last leg at that point and no longer the player he once was and about a .5 point a game player. So this top 6 of Crosby, Malkin, Rust, Guentzel, Zucker, and Kapanen is much more skilled and faster than that 2016 teams Crosby, Malkin, Rookie Rust, old Kunitz, and Hornqvist top 6.

The 3rd line is what will need to prove itself to make a line like that teams. I don't think they need to be as good as HBK because obviously Pens are loading up the top 6 like the 2017 Cup team that moved Kessel up on the Malkin line. I think a McCann-Jankowski-Poulin line could give the Pens that type of play.

That 2016 team needed several rookies filling important positions such as Sheary and Rust on the top 2 lines, Dumoulin on the top pairing, and others like Wilson and Khunhackle on the lower lines. Having a rookie like Poulin, O'Connor, POJ, Maniscalco, or some other rookie could provide a boost like that team had. Fortunately we don't need any rookie to be in our top 6 and top pairing like that team did. I think it is very realistic to have someone like a POJ, Poulin, or other rookie to fill a spot if needed. We already know the 4th line can play as strong 3rd line because the Blueger line played that spot all last year and had very good analytics going against other teams top lines many nights.

McCann going back to wing and being near a 20 goal scorer and playing in his better position as a LW is a great fit for a 3rd line winger. Jankowski had an awful year moved down to a 4th line and was saddled with terrible linemates. Jankowski's other two years in the league he had very good season's with 17 goals as a rookie and 14 goals and 32 points the next year. I think with McCann and someone like Poulin as his wingers Jankowski could easily get back to his 14-17 goal and 30+ points.

When dropping real money payroll to under $75 million you are going to need to relay on someone stepping up. I think we do have the prospects that could step up if needed and fortunately we don't have near the holes that 2016 team had to fill. In all our positions I think we have a good veteran option besides that 3 RW. Poulin stepping into that spot could really make this team complete. From what I have read recently Poulin has improved his skating and looks ready for the jump from the last scouting report in his games this season. I really hope to see that McCann-Jankowski-Poulin line to start the year. Because if that line clicks which I believe it can that makes this team very strong with a 4th line that has already proven to be a strong 3rd line last season to help Pens finish with the 7th best record. That 4th line able to step up to play as a 3rd line was a major part of way the Pens had such a strong season despite having their 3rd line Center out for all but 10 games and one of Malkin and Crosby out in all but a few games. This team has to hope for a Jankowski and Poulin success but every team needs hope for some positions to be filled with question marks. With money reductions I am very happy with how this team filled out.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I think it is great that we have that turnover because that was needed to keep the team young and fast around the core. The players left are all the top players with Crosby, Malkin, Rust, Dumoulin, and Letang.

This team has added some nice pieces over those years since that Cup team. Guentzel, Zucker, and Kapanen have been added to the top six to replace Sheary, Kunitz, and Hornqvist from that teams top 6. Those are all major upgrades from that Cup team. Sheary obviously was never that type of player who should of been in the top 6 and Kunitz was on his last leg at that point and no longer the player he once was and about a .5 point a game player. So this top 6 of Crosby, Malkin, Rust, Guentzel, Zucker, and Kapanen is much more skilled and faster than that 2016 teams Crosby, Malkin, Rookie Rust, old Kunitz, and Hornqvist top 6.

The 3rd line is what will need to prove itself to make a line like that teams. I don't think they need to be as good as HBK because obviously Pens are loading up the top 6 like the 2017 Cup team that moved Kessel up on the Malkin line. I think a McCann-Jankowski-Poulin line could give the Pens that type of play.

That 2016 team needed several rookies filling important positions such as Sheary and Rust on the top 2 lines, Dumoulin on the top pairing, and others like Wilson and Khunhackle on the lower lines. Having a rookie like Poulin, O'Connor, POJ, Maniscalco, or some other rookie could provide a boost like that team had. Fortunately we don't need any rookie to be in our top 6 and top pairing like that team did. I think it is very realistic to have someone like a POJ, Poulin, or other rookie to fill a spot if needed. We already know the 4th line can play as strong 3rd line because the Blueger line played that spot all last year and had very good analytics going against other teams top lines many nights.

McCann going back to wing and being near a 20 goal scorer and playing in his better position as a LW is a great fit for a 3rd line winger. Jankowski had an awful year moved down to a 4th line and was saddled with terrible linemates. Jankowski's other two years in the league he had very good season's with 17 goals as a rookie and 14 goals and 32 points the next year. I think with McCann and someone like Poulin as his wingers Jankowski could easily get back to his 14-17 goal and 30+ points.

When dropping real money payroll to under $75 million you are going to need to relay on someone stepping up. I think we do have the prospects that could step up if needed and fortunately we don't have near the holes that 2016 team had to fill. In all our positions I think we have a good veteran option besides that 3 RW. Poulin stepping into that spot could really make this team complete. From what I have read recently Poulin has improved his skating and looks ready for the jump from the last scouting report in his games this season. I really hope to see that McCann-Jankowski-Poulin line to start the year. Because if that line clicks which I believe it can that makes this team very strong with a 4th line that has already proven to be a strong 3rd line last season to help Pens finish with the 7th best record. That 4th line able to step up to play as a 3rd line was a major part of way the Pens had such a strong season despite having their 3rd line Center out for all but 10 games and one of Malkin and Crosby out in all but a few games. This team has to hope for a Jankowski and Poulin success but every team needs hope for some positions to be filled with question marks. With money reductions I am very happy with how this team filled out.

Every post doesn't need to be six paragraphs mainly of the same points you've made in your previous manifestos :)

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

giphy.gif

Reactions: EightyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad