Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Do we really need to pay attention to the alarm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Day 375, Jack Johnson is still a Pittsburgh Penguin.

UncommonHandsomeBoar-small.gif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I was going to ask if you would do Rust to Vancouver for Virtanen, but looking at Vancouver's roster, dear lord they have a ton of Rust caliber wingers already. They're spending $25 million combined on Eriksson, Miller, Ferland, Baertschi, Roussel and Pearson, that's hilariously bad for the overall ability of that group.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I haven't heard any big changes. My understanding was Johnson or Maata would go as a cap casualty. The Penguins evidently like their "depth" smh

JR’s reeled you in too with that eh? Careful you don’t wind up with JJ while believing it.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012
JJ is staying......The organization likes him and with another year under his belt he has picked up they system much better and will set career numbers.

Jack Johnson is here to stay

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I was going to ask if you would do Rust to Vancouver for Virtanen, but looking at Vancouver's roster, dear lord they have a ton of Rust caliber wingers already. They're spending $25 million combined on Eriksson, Miller, Ferland, Baertschi, Roussel and Pearson, that's hilariously bad for the overall ability of that group.

I damn near posted "they signed Pearson!? When did that happen?". Then...I unheld my butt and blood flowed back to head.

Virtanen I would probably do but Im not sure that solves the Pettersson cap room problem.

I think a decent swap would be Fischer with Arizona or Perlini with Chicago (assuming his cost is near the 1mil mark). Then you can send ZAR out alone or with JJ.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017

I hate to re-direct an actual trade discussion, but I think that's why many are so loathe about the Tanev deal: you can't fill your roster up with a bunch of middling wingers and expect to do much
Those types are fine and all that- you have to have foot soldiers like Hags, Rust, Dupius, Talbot, etc. But your roster can't be littered with them or else you end up like Vancouver.

Sorry for derailing your proposal

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
JJ is staying......The organization likes him and with another year under his belt he has picked up they system much better and will set career numbers.

They like him so much they tried to deal him for an overpriced 4th line center :naughty:

Reactions: SEALBound

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

I damn near posted "they signed Pearson!? When did that happen?". Then...I unheld my butt and blood flowed back to head.

Virtanen I would probably do but Im not sure that solves the Pettersson cap room problem.

I think a decent swap would be Fischer with Arizona or Perlini with Chicago (assuming his cost is near the 1mil mark). Then you can send ZAR out alone or with JJ.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Did someone legit link us to Gusev or is it just speculation?

He's been linked with nearly every team because every team is looking to add a legit talent.
Vegas is ripe to be poached with some of their current bad contracts (Reaves/Eakin/etc). So a team with Cap space could easily get some picks/prospects from them for taking those guys

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Really? Aside from Ericsson and Baertschi that’s a pretty solid group of wingers.

I don’t think they add any more cap because their off season signings are already going to kill their cap space in a year or two when Boeser, Petts and Horvat all resign.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
It basically says that AG has good patience with the puck and a really good shot—especially his one timer. If anyone can bring his game to the next level it is Malkin. Both players are great at carrying the puck into the O zone and Malkin excels at carrying the puck out of the D zone. Then it shows some videos of some nasty goals. Theres also a chart that looks like a horizontal bar graph.

:laugh:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
They like him so much they tried to deal him for an overpriced 4th line center :naughty:

And then people here viciously defended Phil Kessel after he nixed the deal. Thanks Phil. But muh ntc rights!!

If we had done that swap though, do we still see the Maatta trade? I think if you do both, you still have to send a guy out. Or maybe you offer Rask to the rest of the league for peanuts. What ifs man...get ya thinkin.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I don’t think Chicago can take the cap for Rust for Perlini.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Article discussing Schultz and why his situation with the team is a difficult one*

HockeyBuzz.com - Ryan Wilson - The Justin Schultz conundrum

*This is not an endorsement of Ryan Wilson, HockeyBuzz or any of their writers, subsidiaries or advertisers. This is merely placed here for discussion purposes only and fair comment. Any similarities between other posts or comments is merely coincidental

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

From another poster:
"OK, so, I started this post originally by saying I'm not as concerned with JJ going into the season, as I was looking at his numbers yesterday, and thought they were much better with Schultz at the end of the season. Turns out, they weren't any better. Below is a look at 5v5 numbers for 9 defenseman (includes Oleksiak, Gudbranson, Riikola who played over 300 TOI....and excludes Trotman and Ruhwedel).

Season Totals (5v5 play): CF% 46.13 (7th), SF% 45.12 (9th), GF% 43.40 (9th), SCF% 48.21 (8th), HDCF% 47.25% (8th), HDGA 33 (9th), SA/60 35.01 (7th), GA/60 2.72 (9th), SCA/60 27.61 (8th), HDCA/60 11.76 (9th), HDGA/60 1.5 (8th), Hits 206 (1st), Blocks 116 (1st)

Those season totals are pretty bad. Not in the top 6 of any category, except hits and blocks where he lead the team in both. But, if we take at when Schultz came back, and the last 25 games they played together, here are Johnson's 5v5 totals:

CF% 44.97 (worse), SF% 44.96% (marginally worse), GF% 59.26 (much better), SCF% 46.83% (marginally worse), HDCF% 48.18 (better), SA/60 35.03 (marginally worse), GA/60 1.72 (much better), SCA/60 27.53 (marginally better), HDCA/60 11.1 (marginally better), HDGA/60 .47 (much better)

Yeah, they aren't much better at all with Schultz, meaning JJ is on LD....meaning, the argument that he got much better playing on LD at the end of the season is a myth"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig