Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Clever Thread Title Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I just want to see what we do this summer, tbh. We may beat the Isles. We may beat whoever makes it out of the Caps-Bruins thunderdome. But we've got zero shot against the likes of Tampa, Florida, Colorado, Vegas, or Minny, imo.

If Hextall gets aggressive for one, maybe two more runs, I'll be interested to see what he does. I really think essentially standing pat and keeping the roster largely the same is a big mistake. We're fighting tooth and nail with an Isles team that's down Lee, has a hobbled Barzal, and Varlamov playing well below expectation. We need some work for sure, mainly in the middle-6. Sort out Geno's line and either promote Tanev to play with McCann and Carter or find another winger for that line as well.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Eichel gives me less diva vibes than "I'm dying alive" in Buffalo vibes, but maybe that's the same thing. I think the situation with how they handled his injury has permanently poisoned the well and he could do well elsewhere. I don't think we have the assets to make a run for him, but there is part of me that is deeply intrigued by trying to keep our window open grabbing a young star instead of waiting for us to be terrible and hopefully draft one.

I agree, but the cost is a consideration too.

I think Eichel, at 24, signed up forever, and with what he's done in the league, will get a blue chip asset+ in return. The Rangers could offer someone like Lafreniere/Kakko and attach someone like Sherterkin/Chytil in exchange for Eichel and maybe a bit extra. People have talked about LA offering Turcotte. Point is, Buffalo should land a bigtime young asset to add to Cozens, Dahlin, Mittelstadt (and whoever they draft this year) and suddenly make their "window" for all of them maturing somewhere around 2025. The kind of player we just dont have right now. They'd be insane to take anything less if they pull the plug on Eichel.

Reinhardt should probably still get a good return, but he might fly under the radar a bit and have a lower price. If a few teams get into a bidding war over Eichel, I doubt many will be happy to settle for second best when Sam is not in the same tier of franchise player. Getting him isnt the kind of seismic move in the tier of a Thornton, Seguin or Hall trade. Especially if its a team looking to take that next step and vault themselves out of lotteryville. A 25 year old Reinhardt is a good player, but he's a great complimentary guy, IMO.

To me, that's the kind of guy we might be lucky enough to afford, and could probably take himself to the next level coming into a situation where a team's culture and expectation matches the player's reputation.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I threw out this scenario last night, how would people feel about a McCann-Carter-Legare 3rd line for next year, assuming Legare shows he's NHL ready? I think that McCann-Carter duo really needs a big net front presence for that line, and I think Legare's probably the best candidate for that job. I'm concerned with the overall lack of playmaking talent on that line, but Carter has succeeded on similar lines in the past (such as Pearson-Carter-Toffoli).

Reactions: Darren McCord

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I threw out this scenario last night, how would people feel about a McCann-Carter-Legare 3rd line for next year, assuming Legare shows he's NHL ready? I think that McCann-Carter duo really needs a big net front presence for that line, and I think Legare's probably the best candidate for that job. I'm concerned with the overall lack of playmaking talent on that line, but Carter has succeeded on similar lines in the past (such as Pearson-Carter-Toffoli).

It's an intriguing idea. I forgot that Legare's a RW.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015

My far out dream is you move Zucker and both Poulin and Legare are ready.

McCann - Geno - Kap
Poulin - Carter - Legare

(I have this unreasonable desire to see them play in JR's together. Win a championship and then move up to the NHL together) Very Carter/Richards like. So it makes sense Carter would be there center lol

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
My far out dream is you move Zucker and both Poulin and Legare are ready.

McCann - Geno - Kap
Poulin - Carter - Legare

(I have this unreasonable desire to see them play in JR's together. Win a championship and then move up to the NHL together) Very Carter/Richards like. So it makes sense Carter would be there center lol

I think it's a lot more likely that Sullivan would do Poulin-Malkin-Kapanen and McCann-Carter-Legare. Sullivan loves his duos and he has already said the duos are Malkin-Kapanen and Carter-McCann.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I think it's a lot more likely that Sullivan would do Poulin-Malkin-Kapanen and McCann-Carter-Legare. Sullivan loves his duos and he has already said the duos are Malkin-Kapanen and Carter-McCann.

I totally agree and I think those would actually be better lines. You put two big bodies on each line. Again its unreasonable lol.

Poulin - Carter - Legare would be a huge line though all over 6 ft and over 200lbs. Would be a ton of fun to watch. again if they pan out.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
That would be fine with me too, and it spreads the rookies out. It's good to have more experience on each line.

Guentzel - Crosby - Rust
Poulin - Malkin - Kapanen
McCann - Carter - Legare
ZAR - Blueger - Tanev
Gadreau - Angello/Zohorna/EROD/O'Connor etc

If you're moving Zucker and Pettersson out, the cap room is available to sign Ceci.

Letang - Dumoulin
Matheson - Ceci
POJ - Marino

Something makes me wonder whether Hextall and Burke don't go looking for some beef to replace Zucker and Ceci though.

Reactions: Darren McCord

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but there's zero chance they rely on 2 rookies who haven't played in the NHL to fill top 9 spots.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but there's zero chance they rely on 2 rookies who haven't played in the NHL to fill top 9 spots.

Hextall pretty consistently relied on rookies to play significant roles in his time with Philly.

Konecny, Provorov, Patrick, Hagg and Sanheim all fall in that category. Poulin starting in the NHL next year right out of juniors would be less aggressive than what Hextall did with all of Konecny (2nd/3rd line minutes at age 19), Provorov (top pair minutes at age 19) and Patrick (3rd line minutes at age 18).

In addition, Gostisbehere went from NCAA to top-4 defenseman under Hextall's watch as well, although he was older coming out of the NCAA than Poulin would be going into next year.

Reactions: Kristopher Letang

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Bringing a post from the PGT into here. Seeing Pettersson's usage in the playoffs makes me pretty confident that he's going to be shipped out after the season. Sullivan should be using his 2nd and 3rd D pairs like how he used them in 2016-2017, with them getting both around the same minutes and both facing tough matchups. Instead, he's giving Matheson-Ceci like 23 minutes a game, while Pettersson hasn't even hit 11 minutes in the last 2 games. In the regular season, Pettersson wasn't used by that, but the playoffs are ultimately what matters for this team. If you're not going to rely on your 3rd pair when the playoffs roll around, you shouldn't be paying them significant money just to have a stronger 3rd pair in the regular season.

With how Sullivan is currently using Pettersson, you can easily replace him with someone substantially cheaper. I think Sullivan is making a mistake in how he's using the Pettersson-Marino pair, but if he's going to continue relying on Matheson like he has, they need to just move Pettersson and make Matheson-Marino their 2nd pair going forward. If Sullivan is going to use his D pairs like "a top-4 D and a sheltered 3rd pair", this team shouldn't be spending significant money on their 3rd pair. As in I'd suggest going with something like POJ-Ruhwedel for next year, or maybe signing another cheaper guy like Ceci (not Ceci himself) to play with POJ on the 3rd pair.

That is not only from the POV of "if Matheson is being used like a #3D, you don't need a $4 million 3rd pair LD", but also from the POV of "if Sullivan is using the 2nd pair like a 1B pair, you can't justify paying Marino $4 million to play on the 3rd pair".

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Hextall pretty consistently relied on rookies to play significant roles in his time with Philly.

Konecny, Provorov, Patrick, Hagg and Sanheim all fall in that category. Poulin starting in the NHL next year right out of juniors would be less aggressive than what Hextall did with all of Konecny (2nd/3rd line minutes at age 19), Provorov (top pair minutes at age 19) and Patrick (3rd line minutes at age 18).

In addition, Gostisbehere went from NCAA to top-4 defenseman under Hextall's watch as well, although he was older coming out of the NCAA than Poulin would be going into next year.
Different situations. The Flyers were rebuilding. The Pens are win now.

But hey, if Poulin and Legare are both in the lineup on opening night next year, you can dig up this post and throw it in my face.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Different situations. The Flyers were rebuilding. The Pens are win now.

But hey, if Poulin and Legare are both in the lineup on opening night next year, you can dig up this post and throw it in my face.

They finished with between 82 and 98 points in Hextall's years as GM. Provorov jumping right into the Flyers top pair happened in a season after the Flyers had 96 points. Same with Konecny jumping into the Flyers top-9. They were "retooling" but they were still competitive. I think the Penguins are in a similar situation, albeit better.

I don't think it would be that much different. The Penguins are a win-now team, but Hextall also is keeping an eye on the future and plans on retooling the team. Giving guys like Poulin, Legare and POJ significant roles seems like the obvious way to do that.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I just want to see what we do this summer, tbh. We may beat the Isles. We may beat whoever makes it out of the Caps-Bruins thunderdome. But we've got zero shot against the likes of Tampa, Florida, Colorado, Vegas, or Minny, imo.

If Hextall gets aggressive for one, maybe two more runs, I'll be interested to see what he does. I really think essentially standing pat and keeping the roster largely the same is a big mistake. We're fighting tooth and nail with an Isles team that's down Lee, has a hobbled Barzal, and Varlamov playing well below expectation. We need some work for sure, mainly in the middle-6. Sort out Geno's line and either promote Tanev to play with McCann and Carter or find another winger for that line as well.

Pens have zero shot against Minnesota? Are you high? They could beat any of those teams, aside from maybe Tampa. But Tampa is playing with a dead Hedman, so maybe even them.

Reactions: Malkinstheman

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
For the youth movement next season...

OUT
Zucker
ZAR
Jank

IN
Zohorna - I must be crazy but that guy has IT. He is going to be a good winger. Skill, speed, size. Give him time to prove more. I'm most excited with him right now. And the other turds like Lafferty/DOC/Angello aren't close to him.

Legare/Poulin - at least one needs a shot, if not both.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
They finished with between 82 and 98 points in Hextall's years as GM. Provorov jumping right into the Flyers top pair happened in a season after the Flyers had 96 points. Same with Konecny jumping into the Flyers top-9. They were "retooling" but they were still competitive. I think the Penguins are in a similar situation, albeit better.

I don't think it would be that much different. The Penguins are a win-now team, but Hextall also is keeping an eye on the future and plans on retooling the team. Giving guys like Poulin, Legare and POJ significant roles seems like the obvious way to do that.
They missed the playoffs a couple years and squeaked into the playoffs by a couple points in the others only to lose in the first round. I'm not going to debate the semantics of 'rebuilding' vs. 'retooling'. They were in a different position. One where it's much easier to give opportunities to unproven young guys.

Keeping an eye on the future means they aren't going to trade away picks and prospects as frivolously as JR did. It doesn't mean they are all of a sudden going to go with a youth movement throughout the lineup. They will probably leave 3LD open for POJ/Riikola/Freidman to battle for and a bottom 6 winger position for Poulin/Legare/Zohorna/O'Connor /etc. to battle for.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Are you leaving that slot on the roster open all summer? Who's playing there if he's not ready?

I mean, it's a pretty cool idea if he's ready. But that's a big assumption.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
For the youth movement next season...

OUT
Zucker
ZAR
Jank

IN
Zohorna - I must be crazy but that guy has IT. He is going to be a good winger. Skill, speed, size. Give him time to prove more. I'm most excited with him right now. And the other turds like Lafferty/DOC/Angello aren't close to him.

Legare/Poulin - at least one needs a shot, if not both.
Can throw Petts and POJ in there as well, out/in respectively.

Still hoping Seattle takes one of Zucker or Petts and we deal the other. Starting to worry they're gonna take Carter though.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Are you leaving that slot on the roster open all summer? Who's playing there if he's not ready?

I mean, it's a pretty cool idea if he's ready. But that's a big assumption.

I'd be fine with leaving that spot open all summer. If he's not ready, try Poulin, Zohorna or someone else. Or you can bump Tanev up to the 3rd line and try guys like Angello, Lafferty and such with ZAR and Blueger.

3ladesof5teel

Feb 20, 2012

Zero shot muahahahahaha

Keep doubting, like the 50% crowd did all season.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The only spot I really see is on the 4th line, where we may have two spots if ZAR and E-Rod both want too much money and walk. I'm sure Sully, if he survives the summer as coach, won't split up TB-Tanev but I'd absolutely move Tanev up to play with McCann and Carter on the 3rd line. I'm trying really hard to find a physical, scoring line guy like Hyman, Coleman or even Bennett to play with Geno and Kap.

That gives you a forward corps of

Jake-Sid-Rust
Kap-Geno-Hyman
McCann-Carter-Tanev
?-TB-?

Guys like Poulin, Legare, Zoho, Angello, DOC, etc. battle it out for those 4th line spots, though I'm pretty sure Poulin and Legare are getting at least a full season in WBS before they make the jump to the NHL.

-edit- It doesn't matter what I or any one of us thinks though, because the one universal absolute in Sully's eyes is the ZAR-TB-Tanev line. :laugh:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad