Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Clever Thread Title Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

seabs926

Jun 14, 2009
Uh, that's not true. They only need to trade 1 of those guys to become cap compliant and they're comfortably under the cap if they trade 2 of them.
And can't make any real changes to the roster. As an example, if you get rid of Rust and Pets:

Guentzel-Crosby-XX
Zucker-Malkin-Kapanen
McCann-Carter-XX
XX-Blueger-Tanev
XX

Dumoulin-Letang
Matheson-Marino
POJ-XX
Ruhwedel

Jarry
CDS

Leaves only ~9.5M in cap space (assuming Blueger signs for 1.75M, as an example). You typically like to leave at least 1M in space for injuries so they'd only have ~8M to sign a top line RW, top 9 F and fill out the bottom of the roster. Even if the bottom of the roster (2 Fs and a 6th D) cost a total of 3M, you've only left yourself 5M to sign a 1st line winger and a 3rd line winger. That's a forward group that's no better than this year and a D group that’s worse than this year. If you want to sign Ceci then you’re probably left with ~3M to sign a 1st liner and 3rd liner.

So yes, we would be tight to the cap without the ability to make real changes to the roster unless we trade 3 players with sizable salaries.

Last edited:

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
I could see Letang sign back to pit on a two year 6 mil aav and Malkin sign a 7 mil aav for two years, that alone gives the pens so much.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Anyone that questions Malkin's heart and desire to be on this team after this year is frankly nuts. I feel like you could sell Geno on a discount extension to ride out the sunset and make some cap space for one last bite at the apple; Letang I'm less sure about, especially after he had a great season.

Phil68

Jun 13, 2009
And can't make any real changes to the roster. As an example, if you get rid of Rust and Pets:

Guentzel-Crosby-XX
Zucker-Malkin-Kapanen
McCann-Carter-XX
XX-Blueger-XX
XX

Dumoulin-Letang
Matheson-Marino
POJ-XX
Ruhwedel

Jarry
CDS

Leaves only ~9.5M in cap space (assuming Blueger signs for 1.75M, as an example). You typically like to leave at least 1M in space for injuries so they'd only have ~8M to sign a top line RW, top 9 F and fill out the bottom of the roster. Even if the bottom of the roster (3 Fs and a 6th D) cost a total of 3.5M, you've only left yourself 4.5M to sign a 1st line winger and a 3rd line winger. That's a roster that's no better than this year.

So yes, we would be tight to the cap without the ability to make real changes to the roster unless we trade 3 players with sizable salaries.
I would rather Evander Kane over Sucker. Even lets say Kane does not score, he has size plus speed and has a mean streak. This would create time and space for Crosby or Malkin. Rust plus Petts get you another really good defensement. Samuel Poulin is coming plus and we have this year's 1st rounder. Keep Carter at line 3 with Tanev and someone else. Or Depending on how talks go Tarasenko, bring him here

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
What's Dan Cloutier up to? At least he'll blast a guy in the ankle or cup check someone for getting close to his crease. Nobody on the blueline's gonna defend that area. :laugh:

orby

Jun 16, 2013
Erie, PA
www.youtube.com
Geno played better than I expected in this series - he was probably the Pens' best or second-best player - but I am still really worried that he's falling off a cliff in terms of health/physical condition. His injuries have really piled up over the years and I just don't know how many seasons he has left in him where he can play anywhere near 82 games at anywhere close to his full capacity. I would certainly love to see him take a discount deal to finish his career here, but I'm not sure it'll happen.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Oh Geno's body's in shambles. Hands are still there, as is the passion, but as they say... The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised.

Love the dude but I want no part of paying him the ~$24 million, 3-yr deal he's gonna be getting.

spcastlemagic

Jul 3, 2006
Why not pull a Kucherov and give Geno LTIR to rest and recoup and use that money to flesh out the roster? If anybody could use some extra time off it’s the big guy. Fair game, right?

Reactions: HandshakeLine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad