Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Clever Thread Title Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
With the projections you can input what you believe the cap will be so it would take the flat cap into consideration.

*snip*

But that - unless I've missed something - only takes into account what percentage of the cap they're making, not how the cap scenario is affecting what teams have to give. Which radically affected contracts last year, and will probably have some effect this year.

If Hyman gets 6.5m, that'd make him equal to the third highest paid UFA last summer. I don't think Hyman's about to be the third most valuable UFA this summer. So... skeptical about how much faith to put in this.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Damn, if Reinhart was available, I'd be over the moon if we managed to land him.

That's awesome to see. And I wish NHL GMs were more amenable to moving struggling youngsters rather than hanging onto them forever while they wither on the vine. Obviously they don't want to look dumb and see the player blossom as soon as they leave, but at the same time, better it happens somewhere (in this case where it probably wont bite them in the ass) than they just scuffle along until the window to deliver on their promise is shut. Strome in Chicgao, too.

Virtanen is another one. Recent allegations aside, that guy has seemingly been dangled or shipped out in trades for years. Nolan Patrick might be another, assuming his body can survive.

I get why teams like Calgary hold on to Bennett for so long...because shit like this happens. Not Calgary has egg on their face. That being said, I don't know if Bennett does anywhere else what he's doing in Florida. It is literally the best scripted situation for him.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I get why teams like Calgary hold on to Bennett for so long...because shit like this happens. Not Calgary has egg on their face. That being said, I don't know if Bennett does anywhere else what he's doing in Florida. It is literally the best scripted situation for him.

Calgary could have probably got this from him if they'd pressed hard enough for it - it's a long, long time since Bennett's had linemates of quality, or had them consistently. A lot of that's on Bennett for not playing above his situation, but if Calgary had really wanted him to work they could have given him that situation.

I think in general, realising they don't have a situation in which to get the best from a young player and therefore seeking a trade early isn't something NHL teams are good at. A lot of optimism and overrating human resilience out there.

Reactions: Extra Texture

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
But that - unless I've missed something - only takes into account what percentage of the cap they're making, not how the cap scenario is affecting what teams have to give. Which radically affected contracts last year, and will probably have some effect this year.

If Hyman gets 6.5m, that'd make him equal to the third highest paid UFA last summer. I don't think Hyman's about to be the third most valuable UFA this summer. So... skeptical about how much faith to put in this.

Doesn’t take into consideration of what cap each team has but there is a lot of data they are basing it off.

55 point pace over the last 3 years and he has attributes GM’s love. If he gets the term I can see it. AAV drops to 5.4 mil if it’s a 4 year deal.

We’ll find out. I haven’t checked too many of last years predictions but the one I have they are generally pretty close with the AAV.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm happy to give them some flexibility, but I don't think I'd go as far as Rust + Blueger/POJ + 1st, but would happily do Pettersson.

Also... 7m, not sure we can do that.

I was being pretty generous with that package for sure, but it'd probably have to be generous to trade him within the conference, and the Sabres are likely going to prioritize adding a center. 7 mil would be tight, but I think we can swing it with some moving parts.

Part of it is sort of seeing the writing on the wall with Malkin too. He's 35 this year, missed 27 games last season, and 23 games out of 56 this season. Missing 1/3 of the season or more is probably going to be the norm from here on out. What's that worth after next season?

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I was being pretty generous with that package for sure, but it'd probably have to be generous to trade him within the conference, and the Sabres are likely going to prioritize adding a center. 7 mil would be tight, but I think we can swing it with some moving parts.

Part of it is sort of seeing the writing on the wall with Malkin too. He's 35 this year, missed 27 games last season, and 23 games out of 56 this season. Missing 1/3 of the season or more is probably going to be the norm from here on out. What's that worth after next season?

We have a thread for that ;)

Right and Wrong

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Bennett’s success is coming from him playing big minutes, all situations and center.

It came from him being given opportunity on a different team, period. He’s better off in Florida so he can play center probably. But it’s not like we’d need him for his production.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Which is the issue with assuming it works here is my point. It’s the same type of usage Calgary asked out of him.

He wasn’t playing on a scoring line with legit talent in Calgary.

And with Malkin’s health being very questionable at this point, it’s not like center is out of the question for him here.

Like Kirk has referenced. At the very least he could play a roided up Talbot role for 71.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
He wasn’t playing on a scoring line with legit talent in Calgary.

And with Malkin’s health being very questionable at this point, it’s not like center is out of the question for him here.

Like Kirk has referenced. At the very least he could play a roided up Talbot role for 71.

His 2nd, 3rd and 4th most common linemates this year in Calgary were Backlund, Monahan, and Gaudreau.

People are really sleeping on how damn good Huberdeau is. Kind of coincidence that Hornqvist did the same shit Bennett is doing while with him, eh?

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
His 2nd, 3rd and 4th most common linemates this year in Calgary were Backlund, Monahan, and Gaudreau.

People are really sleeping on how damn good Huberdeau is. Kind of coincidence that Hornqvist did the same shit Bennett is doing while with him, eh?

No idea why you're arguing this considering you wanted the f***ing guy here, but ok.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Because I’m willing to admit I was wrong. Carter was the only pick up we needed.

The rest of the squad is good enough to win us the cup. We have a 2nd line that can win a cup.

images

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town

Yeah, but do they have egg on their faces? They held onto Bennett for 400+ games, through a variety of coaches, through 6+ seasons. And their highly touted 4th overall pick never fulfilled his offensive promise stuck in that situation. Because of the linemates or whatever the reason was, it just didnt happen. And despite hanging onto him that long, they still turned him into a couple of second rounders, a return most people thought was still pretty high.

I agree with your point about Florida, it was a great situation for him to walk into. But my point is that he might've blown up in a lot of places after a trade, because it seems it was more about getting out of Calgary than it was finding the perfect landing spot. In that respect, no, I dont think Calgary should be embarrassed or rueful at all, especially when nobody can say they gave up on him "too early". And in a world where Gaudreau was taken in the fourth round, Florida's second rounder might net them a player who is a much better fit on the Flames.

In the end, this is a much better result, for everyone, than Sam Bennett staying there until he's 27, considered a complete bust, and becomes a journeyman to recover what's left of his career. In that sense Calgary gets very little, the player gets no second chance, and no other team in the league benefits.

The flipside is a team giving up on a player way too quickly. Washington not knowing what they had in Filip Forsberg when they shipped him for Erat is one. Another is the Strome situation with Chicago (now realizing he didnt have much time there at all...but Arizona seem uniquely good at screwing up their high draft choices). In cases like that, egg their dumb asses.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'd still really like to take a big run at Hyman, with fall back options being Coleman or Bennett. They all bring an element I think our middle-6 is sorely lacking, Geno's line in particular.

Should be something good available if we get lucky with Seattle and manage to dump some deadweight in Petts, Zucker, and Riikola.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I'm sure I've missed a lot in the past four pages but yeah no thanks on locking up Ceci for anything much above what we got him for this year. No need for this to have been anything but a tidy bit of business on both ends

Reactions: Tom Hanks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad