Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: Clever Thread Title Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
(also Coleman is the man, but probably out of our reasonable price range)

I think you could probably get Coleman for something like 4x4, which I think could be workable for the Penguins. But I'd rather just give McCann a top-6 spot instead of just continuously jerking him around as a 3rd liner, despite him putting up like a 60 point pace.

If they're signing anyone like Coleman, I hope it involves a Rust trafe and the Penguins top-6 wing duos as Guentzel-FA and McCann-Kapanen.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I think you could probably get Coleman for something like 4x4, which I think could be workable for the Penguins. But I'd rather just give McCann a top-6 spot instead of just continuously jerking him around as a 3rd liner, despite him putting up like a 60 point pace.

If they're signing anyone like Coleman, I hope it involves a Rust trafe and the Penguins top-6 wing duos as Guentzel-FA and McCann-Kapanen.

Who's your third line wingers there?

The thing with Coleman I see is that, correct me if wrong, he's primarily a RW. Which means he's right up against Tanev for a role. Not a lot of point to both. Either you trade Rust and give Coleman his role, or Tanev goes and Coleman comes, but unless one of them plays LW a lot better than I know...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

The thing with Coleman I see is that, correct me if wrong, he's primarily a RW. Which means he's right up against Tanev for a role. Not a lot of point to both. Either you trade Rust and give Coleman his role, or Tanev goes and Coleman comes, but unless one of them plays LW a lot better than I know...

Tanev and likely a young player or a cheap-ish UFA. I wasn't aware Coleman was primarily a RWer, but if they signed any big name winger, I'd hope it would also include a Rust trade

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Coleman plays LW predominantly from my viewing.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010

Coleman is basically Tanev if he scored goals from a play style perspective

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA

Coleman plays LW as well. I actually think Coleman can play all 3 forward positions if my memory serves me correct

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Coleman plays LW as well. I actually think Coleman can play all 3 forward positions if my memory serves me correct

NaturalStatTrick's telling me he plays C but I'm reasonably sure he hasn't done that for a while. Still, if he's been playing LW in Tampa, that changes things.

edit: Three seasons. Guess he could but nobody's getting him for that.

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Re Coleman, Sports Forecaster says he can play all three forward positions. And in going to that website, I accidentally clicked on St. Louis reminding me that Jaden Schwartz is UFA.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
I’d love to be able to clear out enough space to take runs at Schwartz and Coleman. I don’t think it’s possible but this lineup would be pretty good:

Jake Sid Rust
Schwartz Malkin Kapanen
McCann Carter Coleman
Poulin Blueger Tanev

Reactions: Extra Texture

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
NaturalStatTrick's telling me he plays C but I'm reasonably sure he hasn't done that for a while. Still, if he's been playing LW in Tampa, that changes things.

edit: Three seasons. Guess he could but nobody's getting him for that.

He was a C when he originally came in the league. He then played LW below Hall and was the LW with Goodrow and Gourde.

Reactions: Peat

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I’d love to be able to clear out enough space to take runs at Schwartz and Coleman. I don’t think it’s possible but this lineup would be pretty good:

Jake Sid Rust
Schwartz Malkin Kapanen
McCann Carter Coleman
Poulin Blueger Tanev
If an exposed Zucker is taken in the Seattle draft, and we find a way to move Petts for picks/prospects, that would give us 11 million in space. I would say its certainly possible with that kind of money, but we'd be all in for those upgrades alone

Schwartz is a player I've coveted here for a long time. I worry a bit looking at his numbers, but if we lose Zucker and could get Schwartz on anything close to 5M I'd take that all day. Also, as a "backup" I guess there is also Hyman, if we can woo him.

I guess if we're talking Schwartz AND Coleman, though, both Ceci and ZAR are total goners.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
He was a C when he originally came in the league. He then played LW below Hall and was the LW with Goodrow and Gourde.

Well cancel what I said about there not being the spot for him and Tanev, personally he'd be the ideal LW for Malkin-Kapanen.

I'd also be happy using him on the third line, but to go back to where I was going to go with Empo's point before I got Coleman's positions wrong - I would like this team to be planning on some major scoring depth on the third line next season (i.e. McCann). I know we need to support Sid and Malkin a lot, but part of that support's got to be having the scoring to take care of their bad days as well as helping prevent them.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Well cancel what I said about there not being the spot for him and Tanev, personally he'd be the ideal LW for Malkin-Kapanen.

I'd also be happy using him on the third line, but to go back to where I was going to go with Empo's point before I got Coleman's positions wrong - I would like this team to be planning on some major scoring depth on the third line next season (i.e. McCann). I know we need to support Sid and Malkin a lot, but part of that support's got to be having the scoring to take care of their bad days as well as helping prevent them.

I mean Carter is still our 3C next year eh?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's kinda hard to plan on having "major scoring depth on the 3rd line" when they'll probably have a $5 million 3rd pair LD and a $9 million 4th line if they keep ZAR. I don't think there's a reasonable way to be able to accomplish that, so I'd rather just play McCann with Malkin and let the chips fall where they may with the 3rd line. Maybe you could afford something a bit better if you don't retain ZAR and let Zohorna take his spot, but I'm kinda skeptical that they're going to let ZAR go tbh.

I don't think it's smart to spend big bucks on a Coleman caliber guy just to put one of McCann or Coleman in the bottom-6. I don't think it works because they've probably spent all of the "luxury forward" money they had available between Tanev and ZAR.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It's kinda hard to plan on having "major scoring depth on the 3rd line" when they'll probably have a $5 million 3rd pair LD and a $9 million 4th line if they keep ZAR. I don't think there's a reasonable way to be able to accomplish that, so I'd rather just play McCann with Malkin and let the chips fall where they may with the 3rd line. Maybe you could afford something a bit better if you don't retain ZAR and let Zohorna take his spot, but I'm kinda skeptical that they're going to let ZAR go tbh.

I don't think it's smart to spend big bucks on a Coleman caliber guy just to put one of McCann or Coleman in the bottom-6. I don't think it works because they've probably spent all of the "luxury forward" money they had available between Tanev and ZAR.

Then don't keep the 9m 4th line (which I'm guessing you're not if you're earmarking Tanev for the 3rd line anyway). Maybe get a little aggressive with the blueline too.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Then don't keep the 9m 4th line (which I'm guessing you're not if you're earmarking Tanev for the 3rd line anyway). Maybe get a little aggressive with the blueline too.

I think this is probably the best option. I'm tentatively fine with keeping ZAR, but it should be something like ZAR-Blueger-Lafferty as the 4th line with Tanev on the 3rd line.

I'm also not sure I like the idea of shipping out Matheson or Pettersson, both of who I still think the Penguins need, just to get a luxury upgrade on the 3rd line. I don't know that you should go Zohorna-Carter-Tanev on the 3rd line to start, but I don't think you need a Coleman caliber guy or a McCann caliber guy on that line either.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Zar rights for a draft pick petts taken by Seattle Zucker for a 2nd and 4th Rust for 1st and prospect

Jake Crosby Colman
Mccan Malkin Kap
? Carter Gaudreau
? Teddy Tanev

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
It's easy to have major scoring depth on your 3rd line when you take care of the salary cap bloat that is Zucker and Petts. One gets taken by Seattle, hopefully. The other is dealt for futures. That's $9.5 million freed up by moving a 3rd liner who isn't a good fit, and a bottom pairing guy who has replacements waiting in-house. Dump Riikola as well, as Sully's never going to play him and that's just a dead $1 million+ in cap.

Jake-Sid-Rust
?-Geno-Kap
McCann-Carter-Tanev
Zoho-TB-E-Rod
Angello

Dumo-Letang
Matheson-?
POJ/Friedman-Marino

Jarry
DeSmith

Plenty of cash to find the final piece for Geno+Kap, and a partner for Matheson. Hell, you've got options in the bottom-6 too. McCann-TB-Carter and Zoho-Gaudreau-E-Rod as your 3rd and 4th line respectively. Keep TB and Tanev together on the 4th line and go grab another middle-6 winger for McCann-Carter. Lots of versatility.

You just gotta find a scoring line winger to complete Geno's line and decide whether you want to keep Ceci around or try your hand at either finding a new partner for him or promoting Marino and giving Matheson-Marino another shot, though I'm not sure that's in our best interest with how badly Marino's struggled this season. I'd have no problem with last season's Marino there, but that isn't who we've been getting 90% of the time this year.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It's easy to have major scoring depth on your 3rd line when you take care of the salary cap bloat that is Zucker and Petts. One gets taken by Seattle, hopefully. The other is dealt for futures. That's $9.5 million freed up by moving a 3rd liner who isn't a good fit, and a bottom pairing guy who has replacements waiting in-house. Dump Riikola as well, as Sully's never going to play him and that's just a dead $1 million+ in cap.

Jake-Sid-Rust
?-Geno-Kap
McCann-Carter-Tanev
Zoho-TB-E-Rod
Angello

Dumo-Letang
Matheson-?
POJ/Friedman-Marino

Jarry
DeSmith

Plenty of cash to find the final piece for Geno+Kap, and a partner for Matheson
. Hell, you've got options in the bottom-6 too. McCann-TB-Carter and Zoho-Gaudreau-E-Rod as your 3rd and 4th line respectively. Keep TB and Tanev together on the 4th line and go grab another middle-6 winger for McCann-Carter. Lots of versatility.

You just gotta find a scoring line winger to complete Geno's line and decide whether you want to keep Ceci around or try your hand at either finding a new partner for him or promoting Marino and giving Matheson-Marino another shot, though I'm not sure that's in our best interest with how badly Marino's struggled this season. I'd have no problem with last season's Marino there, but that isn't who we've been getting 90% of the time this year.

That is not "plenty of cash" to fill those two needs. You will be able to fill one of those holes if you do that, not both unless you go with cheap options (as in probably worse than McCann on Malkin's LW).

Edit: actually it depends on what Blueger and ERod sign for.

Reactions: HandshakeLine
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->