Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Banana Pancakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Another option for JJ—take on Ericsson from DET, who’s a FA next year, with $2 mil retained...again, we gain about $1 mil in cap space and DET gets a younger LD with a couple more years term and we get out from under JJ’s term for next season’s cap crunch...

I thought about Ericsson too when I did my Wings proposal. What incentive are we giving the Wings to do that trade though? If it was Johnson's contract was just 2 years then maybe we throw in a mid round pick but it is 4 years (even though the caphit isn't really that big a deal).

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I thought about Ericsson too when I did my Wings proposal. What incentive are we giving the Wings to do that trade though? If it was Johnson's contract was just 2 years then maybe we throw in a mid round pick but it is 4 years (even though the caphit isn't really that big a deal).

Yeah, all of my proposals include JJ and a 3rd round pick because I don’t want to give up any more...we’re trading their crap for our crap and we’re giving them a 3rd for either retaining some or for their bother in buying him out...these would all be teams with cap space the next few years

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

I think I'd do that. Gives the Pens $2.75M in space which would be used on Pettersson. When Trotman is sent down that means the Pens could sign Pettersson to around a $3.25M cap hit.

It still leaves the Pens with 8D though. Which I guess isn't terrible. Maybe I'm too used to the 14F and 7D format. But I do like Martinez. Losing Rust sucks, but getting Martinez and getting rid of JJ absolutely strengths the defensive corp.

And when one of Schultz or Letang inevitably goes down, Martinez can switch to RD. Not saying he's a good RD, but he can do it.

cc @ownal
If you can pull that off you put Ruh on waivers and don't look back.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
This is the worst time of Summer. Pens news slows to a trickle, the Pirates are always out of it by now, Football is a ways away, August is usually too hot to enjoy most things. Plus, I still get a feeling of sadness when I see all of the back to school stuff. :laugh:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Remember too that Therrien started the 2008-2009 season without Gonchar or Whitney. Look, the guy hit his expiration date, but he was in a pretty brutal spot, and the end was inevitable once it became apparent he'd lost Sid.

Right, and even good coaches hit those which is why I say he wasn't a bad coach.

He didn't win, but they could have buckled down and did just the same as when Sully joined. This is it, get to work. They made a pact before and they survived it. They are grown men, if they can't get together for a common goal then they are not trying at all. MT did all the hard work and DB reaped the rewards and took the credit. MT should have been kept on in some fashion. He deserved to be able to cash in on a ring, even to this day.

Therrien had a system. You can say it sucked, but he most certainly had a system.

He also could adjust as games went on.

IIRC, he is also the last coach to regularly use the stars in a PK role where it wasn't a necessity. He's also the last HC to stack a line when they were down. *Crosby and Malkin* together at the end of games to try and catch up. Plus he was the last to have a split PP. All clear advantages never used since on a regular basis.

Yeah, the team got better, but not to the point it was better to not have both do more together, or more in general.

Sid did some PK'ing in the playoffs out of necessity. Bonino injured, and face-offs. I'm sure you get what I'm getting at.

Edit: Happy B-day to G and @Soggy Biscuit!!!

With "Rum Cake" you get to captain your own ship.

f66042dc4d4aab45e31ab9a401cb1a8c.jpg

Who cares what the crew say's...

Last edited:
Reactions: KIRK

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The 2008 Pens never had the puck, despite having a really damn good team. On top of that, MT was an asshole who like 1 or 2 French guys on the team liked and everybody else disliked or hated. A decent enough coach if you have a bunch of unprofessional young players, but you will never ever win with him.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
The 2008 Pens never had the puck, despite having a really damn good team. On top of that, MT was an ******* who like 1 or 2 French guys on the team liked and everybody else disliked or hated. A decent enough coach if you have a bunch of unprofessional young players, but you will never ever win with him.

I don't know. If Malkin's ribs weren't ****** up by Richards in game 1 of the ECF, perhaps the Pens win that 2008 Cup finals instead of losing in 6. I mean, it's not unlike the argument one could make about Datsyuk.

I'm not Therrien mark, by the way, just questioning the 'you will never win with him' hyperbole.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
NY Rangers buying out the near 7M cap hit of Kevin Shattenkirk.

Jim Rutherford embraces the near 7M combined cap hit of Jack Johnson and Erik Gudbranson.

Thoughts?

tenor.gif

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I don't know. If Malkin's ribs weren't ****** up by Richards in game 1 of the ECF, perhaps the Pens win that 2008 Cup finals instead of losing in 6. I mean, it's not unlike the argument one could make about Datsyuk.

I'm not Therrien mark, by the way, just questioning the 'you will never win with him' hyperbole.

By talent alone. Pens probably should have been swept by Detroit. The Pens in 2008 had such brutal stats across the board. They were bottom 5 in CF%, FF% and middle of the pack in xGF. Basically it was a very, very talented team who was forced to play go into a shell and play counter attack hockey instead of actually dictating the play for 100% of the game.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
By talent alone. Pens probably should have been swept by Detroit. The Pens in 2008 had such brutal stats across the board. They were bottom 5 in CF%, FF% and middle of the pack in xGF. Basically it was a very, very talented team who was forced to play go into a shell and play counter attack hockey instead of actually dictating the play for 100% of the game.

EXCEPT . . . Crosby was out for a chunk of the season and Malkin is better suited to playing counter hockey than attacking hockey.

As an aside, I've always thought that was an interesting situation with Crosby and Malkin . . . each one is better suited to playing systems that happen to be polar opposites (Sid overwhelms on the attack, while the counter system allows Malkin to gamble and counter).

If you look at that team in 2008, I think it was a similar situation, where some guys were better suited to attack and some were better suited to counter . . . I mean, Hossa and Sykora were 'counter' players. So, I'm not sure the 'if we'd attacked' line holds, and that argument is supported by Shero having to make some changes along with the coach for all of it to make sense.

THAT SAID, again, I am NOT defending Therrien. I was among the first to want him gone. And, I am NOT disagreeing with the stats, although I am not going to make the numbers the end all and be all.

It's just far more complicated than saying 'well, if we'd ONLY attacked in 2008'.

What if Malkin had been healthy in the 2008 Finals? Would the Pens and their countering style may have won?

What if Datsyuk had been healthy in the 2009 Finals? Would the Pens attacking style have carried the day in the last 4 of 5 games?

Better still, IF Malkin is healthy and Datsyuk can barely skate in 2008, who wins? And, if Datsyuk is healthy and Malkin can barely skate in 2009, who wins?

In the end, the difference between why Therrien's countering system failed in 2008 and why Bylsma's attacking system worked in 2009 had less to do with the systems themselves and infinitely more to do with which team's star Russian was healthy and which team's star Russian was not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Therrien is a horrible coach and a worse human being. The 2008 and 2009 championships had very little to do with coaching and a lot to do with our star players. I still argue we win in 2008 if Therrien isn’t a clown and scratches Letang.

Letang goes from being on the ice for tons of team production in the Flyers ECF and playing 18ish a night to scratched after two games of averaging 11 minutes. And they replace him with Sydor who the Wings abused along with Scuds and Gill. And while Whitney was still a solid puck mover at that point he wasn’t a good skater so you had a D of Lidstrom, Kronwall, Rafalski just crushing us.

2009 we had Letang, Orpik, and Gonchar leading our team giving us a counter to the Wings transition game.
Why do you say he's a ''worse human being'' exactly? Do you know him personally?

Reactions: KIRK

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
NY Rangers buying out the near 7M cap hit of Kevin Shattenkirk.

Jim Rutherford embraces the near 7M combined cap hit of Jack Johnson and Erik Gudbranson.

Thoughts?

I couldn't image this board's meltdown with the nearly 7.5M in dead space the Rangers have in 20-21 (total of all 3 buyouts they have on the books). Nor our approx 3.5M in dead space in 20-21 if we bought out both Johnson and Guds.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I couldn't image this board's meltdown with the nearly 7.5M in dead space the Rangers have in 20-21 (total of all 3 buyouts they have on the books). Nor our approx 3.5M in dead space in 20-21 if we bought out both Johnson and Guds.

Just wait till next season when Shatty's buyout penalty goes to 6m+.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Former Pens head coach, Michel Therrien, once fired the team's 'omelette guy' because the Penguins started off their season slow
I'm allergic to eggs so I'd likely fire him also. Even so I don't think that makes him a terrible guy. Maybe the ''omelette guy'' was an ass clown. Maybe there's a bit more to it than just that. The possibilities are endless.

Reactions: Trade

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
I'm allergic to eggs so I'd likely fire him also. Even so I don't think that makes him a terrible guy. Maybe the ''omelette guy'' was an ass clown. Maybe there's a bit more to it than just that. The possibilities are endless.
I heard the Omelette guy banged Therrien’s wife.

Reactions: Trade
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad