Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread - Banana Pancakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
I'm wondering, who will this board's mancrush be this season? We had Boedker, Duchene, Ferland/Dzingel recently. Maybe Spurgeon?

Reactions: JackFr

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Want to start your morning extremely depressed? Micah McCurdy just introduced a with and without tool. Turns out Johnson literally single-handedly torpedoed Malkin and Kessel this season.

hiCQm4t.png

vuDBrp4.png
vIgT3jD.png

What a surprise, cherrypicking 2 plots based on proving your own conclusion may end up faulty. Wow, color me shocked.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Doesn’t a - on the second graph mean a good thing? So Johnson w/ Kessel and Malkin was terrible without Schultz, obviously.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Doesn’t a - on the second graph mean a good thing? So Johnson w/ Kessel and Malkin was terrible without Schultz, obviously.

The point is that Schultz was a much bigger anchor on Kessel and Malkin. Malkin and Kessel were mostly not impacted offensively by Johnson, but were way worse defensively. Schultz dragged them down both offensively and defensively. The comment that Johnson "single handedly" brought down Malkin and Kessel is just wrong, that's the point I'm getting at. Johnson wasn't even the biggest problem on the Penguins 2nd pair when Schultz was healthy.

I've been getting at for months that Schultz was heinously bad last year, but everyone just wants to complain about Johnson and ignore that.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Man, good thing the coach worshipped the altar of a cokehead and a dude who loved to criticize the effort of his own team while sucking.

Instead of you know.. the future elite D, two best Cs in the league and one of the best two-way wingers in the history of the game.

Ya know something, you talk like they "wanted" the job, Back then.

Both of those players back then, and not using 20/20 many years after the fact factors like you are using to down play them were very much good players and respected in that room.

There's a difference in leading by example, Sid, and being a leader vocally. We all know Geno didn't want the job, limited english and all. Letang wasn't even close to being mature enough for the job. Maybe you mean't to say Gonchar?

People and their mangrudges.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Related to the defense but not Johnson or Schultz, but I'm more and more convinced that Pettersson is the Penguins 2nd best defenseman already from these charts. He's going to skyrocket in people's eyes next year around the league, dude is a legitimate 2-way monster.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The point is that Schultz was a much bigger anchor on Kessel and Malkin. Malkin and Kessel were mostly not impacted offensively by Johnson, but were way worse defensively. Schultz dragged them down both offensively and defensively. The comment that Johnson "single handedly" brought down Malkin and Kessel is just wrong, that's the point I'm getting at. Johnson wasn't even the biggest problem on the Penguins 2nd pair when Schultz was healthy.

I've been getting at for months that Schultz was heinously bad last year, but everyone just wants to complain about Johnson and ignore that.

Schultz came back from a split bone in his leg and was bad. Jack Johnson just sucks.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Who’s cares though? Schultz had a way smaller sample size coming off a bad injury.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Who’s cares though? Schultz had a way smaller sample size coming off a bad injury.

You should, because this team is going nowhere unless Schultz reverts back to 2016-2017 form. You can complain about Johnson all you want, but Schultz being bad hurts the Penguins a lot more than Johnson being bad does. Schultz rounding back into form helps the Penguins more than not playing Johnson does.

Schultz came back from a split bone in his leg and was bad. Jack Johnson just sucks.

Injuries don't excuse the level of bad he was last year. If he was that affected by the injury, he shouldn't have played.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
You should, because this team is going nowhere unless Schultz reverts back to 2016-2017 form. You can complain about Johnson all you want, but Schultz being bad hurts the Penguins a lot more than Johnson being bad does. Schultz rounding back into form helps the Penguins more than not playing Johnson does.

Injuries don't excuse the level of bad he was last year. If he was that affected by the injury, he shouldn't have played.

It’s definitely bad news if he doesn’t bounce back but it’s pretty likely that a historically good player bounces back from an injury, as opposed to a bad player becoming not bad at 32.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It’s definitely bad news if he doesn’t bounce back but it’s pretty likely that a historically good player bounces back from an injury, as opposed to a bad player becoming not bad at 32.

That's just the problem here, Schultz isn't a "historically good" player. He's a guy that had 1 amazing season, 1 good season and a bunch of crap. Outside of 2016-2017, he has never played above a #4 level.

It's just weird that I've heard almost nothing regarding Schultz's bad season from an injury, but a ton of people were saying stuff about Letang last off-season because he was terrible last year due to an injury.

Reactions: KIRK and Khelandros

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
That's just the problem here, Schultz isn't a "historically good" player. He's a guy that had 1 amazing season, 1 good season and a bunch of crap. Outside of 2016-2017, he has never played above a #4 level.

It's just weird that I've heard almost nothing regarding Schultz's bad season from an injury, but a ton of people were saying stuff about Letang last off-season because he was terrible last year due to an injury.

A number 4 is all he needs to be. Being a number 4 isn’t a bunch of crap.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

Players can't be sat out or left on LTIR because they are rusty.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006

Schultz was sidelined for 4 months with an injury that made his leg bend in a way that a leg was not meant to bend.

What was JJ's excuse?

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
“That you heathen fans never gave him a fair shake!”- JR...probably.

For all we know, that was JJ settling in, and he was good for the latter part of the season. I'm not 100% on just chopping it off at the feet just yet. In a proper role he might be okay sheltered on that 3rd pairing doing PK duty.

This team just couldn't afford having so many of the same ilk unless it's a good PMD RD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad