Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap Thread: A New Error?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pittsburgh1776

Aug 9, 2010
I doubt that. He put Tanev with Malkin in a game earlier this season. Replaced Zucker if memory serves. Showed some chemistry, and that was it . . . Zucker back with Malkin the following game.

People might not like this, but hell he even showed chemistry with Sprong. I remember the game. Everyone was down on Sprong and he had no confidence; they put him with Malkin for a couple shifts and it just seemed like Geno was trying to find him to get him going. Eventually saucer'ed a crazy pass and Sprong put it away with a great shot. I think Malkin could have made something of that kid but they never put him with Geno again as I recall. Could be wrong. Malkin likes shooters.

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
Yeah, and I remember when they were put together. They looked dangerous immediately. They just got eachother as players and everyone had a role. Malkin was comfortable enough with them that he became a shooter, and that's the most dangerous version of Geno.

I guess I just didn’t understand your “yikes” comment in regards to them.

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
People might not like this, but hell he even showed chemistry with Sprong. I remember the game. Everyone was down on Sprong and he had no confidence; they put him with Malkin for a couple shifts and it just seemed like Geno was trying to find him to get him going. Eventually saucer'ed a crazy pass and Sprong put it away with a great shot. I think Malkin could have made something of that kid but they never put him with Geno again as I recall. Could be wrong. Malkin likes shooters.

Sprong was a poor mans Tangradi, whom was a poor mans Bennett. Malkin can play with snipers, you just need to get him one.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018

Malkin-Sprong would have been a defensive disaster just like Malkin-Kessel was by the end.

You need a semblance of defensive responsibility with Geno.

I feel like we need Rust back with Geno at least, but also then maybe Kapanen doesn't jive with Crosby. Sheesh.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Neal returned Nov. 9.
Here's the Natural Stat Trick game log, complete with linemates: Evgeni Malkin - Game Log - On Ice - Natural Stat Trick

11/9/13 - Malkin played 11:22 even strength with Neal, 9:16 with Jokinen, 3:46 with Bennett.
11/13/13 - 10:49 with Neal, 9:34 with Jokinen, a little over a minute with Sid and Kunitz.
11/15/13 - 8:42 with Jokinen, 8:13 with Neal, 2:36 with Dupuis.
11/16/13 - 9:00 with Neal, 8:07 with Jokinen
11/18/13 - 12:34 with Neal, 10:55 with Dupuis. Malkin played 0:48 with Gibbons, and Gibbons scored a goal on that shift.
11/20/13 - 10:40 with Neal and Dupuis. Malkin played 0:55 with Bennett. Bennett scored a goal.
11/22/13 - 10:34 with Neal, 6:31 with Dupuis, 3:55 with Jokinen. Neal and Jokinen assisted on Malkin's second period goal, which finally ended his goalless skid.

So, Bylsma gave Jokinen-Malkin-Neal four games together. It wasn't good in the first two, took steps forward in the third, and regressed in the fourth.

Then, what did Bylsma do?

He broke them up for two games.

Then? On 11/22, he gave them another shot, but it was limited minutes for Jokinen.

They played together a grand total of 35 minutes before that 11/22 game, and the only reason I suspect they got a shot after that is because they took a step forward in that 11/22 game.

So, the LONGEST it took for a good Malkin line to show chemistry was 35 minutes of ice time together.

Kind of makes my point about Zucker and Malkin and anyone (it's 7 games and about 100 minutes, give or take, I think together with Kapanen)

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
He's passing when he should hold the puck and vice-versa. He isn't in the right spaces or doesn't move the puck to the right spaces. He's overly deferring to Geno which again is also a Geno problem.
all of these things are what you would except from a guy that was over think things. if thing start to go right most of those things will disappear. imo

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
I think Malkin-Kapanen has been fine, but you need more of a playmaker on the left side. Or a guy who makes space out there.

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Malkin-Sprong would have been a defensive disaster just like Malkin-Kessel was by the end.

You need a semblance of defensive responsibility with Geno.

I feel like we need Rust back with Geno at least, but also then maybe Kapanen doesn't jive with Crosby. Sheesh.

Actually, the thing I'd love to see on that line on the LW is someone who can bring a little ugly, physicality, and ability to create space, while being skilled enough to play there (not elite skill but instead skilled enough).

@Gurglesons mentioned Boone Jenner. I said a Nick Foligno circa a couple of years ago type. Others have mentioned Sam Bennett.

I'm actually okay with Kapanen with Malkin. You can at least watch those two together and see they're on the same planet. It's not perfect (last game, Kapanen went all tunnel vision a la Tyler Kennedy, which is something he can do dating to his time in Toronto), but you can see the chemistry.

Reactions: SEALBound

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think Malkin-Kapanen has been fine, but you need more of a playmaker on the left side.

I don't think it's a playmaker per se that you need there. I think THAT is a spot you need some nasty or ugly. Skilled enough/good enough at reading Malkin to make enough plays, especially in transition? Absolutely. But, you need some nasty there too. Aside from Jake-Malkin-Rust, that's always been the essential ingredient with one winger in the very best Malkin lines.

Reactions: Gurglesons

DesertedPenguin

Mar 11, 2007
So, Bylsma gave Jokinen-Malkin-Neal four games together. It wasn't good in the first two, took steps forward in the third, and regressed in the fourth.

Then, what did Bylsma do?

He broke them up for two games.

Then? On 11/22, he gave them another shot, but it was limited minutes for Jokinen.

They played together a grand total of 35 minutes before that 11/22 game, and the only reason I suspect they got a shot after that is because they took a step forward in that 11/22 game.

So, the LONGEST it took for a good Malkin line to show chemistry was 35 minutes of ice time together.

Kind of makes my point about Zucker and Malkin and anyone (it's 7 games and about 100 minutes, give or take, I think together with Kapanen)
Malkin played with Jokinen and Neal in the season opener on October 3. That's when Neal got injured and missed a month.

They also played two preseason games together.

Jokinen-Malkin-Neal was an idea conceived in the offseason, given time through training camp and preseason, started on opening night, shelved because of injury, and then continued once Neal was healthy. They also played on the power play together, especially Neal and Malkin.

You asked for a line that eventually produced and didn't click right away. There's your answer.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I don't think it's a playmaker per se that you need there. I think THAT is a spot you need some nasty or ugly. Skilled enough/good enough at reading Malkin to make enough plays, especially in transition? Absolutely. But, you need some nasty there too. Aside from Jake-Malkin-Rust, that's always been the essential ingredient with one winger in the very best Malkin lines.

You need Young Kunitz.

I realize that Young Kunitz is incredibly difficult to get but that's the guy. Physicality, speed, defensive awareness, offensive IQ (which I'm talking myself into as the crucial ingredient that Zucker lacks).

I've always like Boone Jenner and wonder if he could be that guy - and if CBJ would entertain Zucker for Jenner straight-up.

Reactions: Andy99

The Grim Reaper

Apr 18, 2017
Hobart, Tasmania
I think Malkin-Kapanen has been fine, but you need more of a playmaker on the left side. Or a guy who makes space out there.

1920px-Patric_Hornqvist_2017-12-09_2.jpg

Reactions: Darren McCord

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Alright I’ve solved it. We’re going full Hextall/Burke/Ghost of JR.

McCann for Bennett
Zucker, Jarry, Poulin for Gibson and some AHL jobber
Pettersson for Kassian and 3rd round pick

Guentzel-Crosby-Rust
Bennett-Malkin-Kapanen
ZAR-Blueger-Tanev
Scevior-Jankowski-Kassian

Dumoulin-Letang
Matheson-Marino
Joseph-Ceci

Gibson
DeSmith

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I’d argue Jake and Rust were playing that type of hockey on that line too.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Malkin played with Jokinen and Neal in the season opener on October 3. That's when Neal got injured and missed a month.

They also played two preseason games together.

Jokinen-Malkin-Neal was an idea conceived in the offseason, given time through training camp and preseason, started on opening night, shelved because of injury, and then continued once Neal was healthy. They also played on the power play together, especially Neal and Malkin.

You asked for a line that eventually produced and didn't click right away. There's your answer.

Again . . .

Jokinen-Malkin-Neal showed chemistry right away. But, after 35 minute together (38 if you want to count that opening game until Neal was hurt), the results weren't there, and Bylsma broke them up.

After a few games apart, he gave them one last limited shot together on 11/22, and the results followed the chemistry at that point.

At that point, he stuck with the line.

If THAT is your example of a line that took time to click (i.e., where results followed chemistry), then I don't see how you argue in the same breath it's no biggie to wait another 100 minutes to see if a line that has neither results nor comparable initial chemistry suddenly develops both.

EDIT: Ironic that even Bylsma recognized you don't stick with a line that isn't working and have to mix things up for Malkin to hope a spark catches, even if mixing it up means trying Brian ******* Gibbons.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I’d argue Jake and Rust were playing that type of hockey on that line too.

To a degree, sure, but I think you know what I meant . . . that Malone or Kunitz or Hornqvist element in MMS or KMN of HGH respectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad