Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap - No man of the flesh could ever stop me

Status
Not open for further replies.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
The Pens speed covers up for the bottom six faceoff woes, but if you think that is an ideal situation against playoff teams, then you have a very bad perspective...

They really should make a huge push for Pageau... literally tell the Sens they can negotiate a contrat with him and we want him as a pure rental for next years 2nd and a prospect

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I kinda think we should just stay put and get healthy(lol).

Unless Erik Gubranson is available of course.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Its still a weakness that can be looked at. If were adding another forward, why not one who can win faceoffs?

You can. I still wouldn’t change the PK though. It works really well.

For example Boston have one of the best PP’s in the league and haven’t scored on us. We’ve actually outscored them with a shorty.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
The Pens speed covers up for the bottom six faceoff woes, but if you think that is an ideal situation against playoff teams, then you have a very bad perspective...

They really should make a huge push for Pageau... literally tell the Sens they can negotiate a contrat with him and we want him as a pure rental for next years 2nd and a prospect

Let me get this straight, you think the Penguins should trade what little assets they have left to move their faceoff% from 48 to 50?

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Let me get this straight, you think the Penguins should trade what little assets they have left to move their faceoff% from 48 to 50?

Last I checked (maybe a month ago) Teddy was 50/50 at ES face offs too. 40/60 on the PK but it hasn’t hurt us.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I see no more polite way to put it - anyone more focused on our PK's face-off percentage than how many it concedes and how many it scores has a very faulty idea of what matters.

While I don't disagree... it wouldn't hurt to get someone who's a lot better in the circle. Our PK is showing that you don't need to win every draw... but winning more would certainly be preferable.

Reactions: Ryder71

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Last I checked (maybe a month ago) Teddy was 50/50 at ES face offs too. 40/60 on the PK but it hasn’t hurt us.

I also don’t think it’s impossible for it to be advantageous to not win the puck back into your own corner every single time, especially if you can use your speed to force shots away from high danger and pressure high. Many powerplays let PKs “win” so they use the extra man to create turnovers right away.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I also don’t think it’s impossible for it to be advantageous to not win the puck back into your own corner every single time, especially if you can use your speed to force shots away from high danger and pressure high. Many powerplays let PKs “win” so they use the extra man to create turnovers right away.
Sully And the team obviously disagrees with the idea it isn’t a big deal since they did a whole segment on it... and players keep mentioning it as something important

Its absurd to argue that not getting possession of the puck is an ok strategy... its a problem and people just want it not to be because they want Blueger and McCann to be the centers... they have flaws there... its ok to get someone else to take draws... that doesn’t diminish the other two... it just eliminates a glaring weakness

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
It’s a big factor, not going to lie.

The over the top anger about depth players is just the worst.

While I don't disagree... it wouldn't hurt to get someone who's a lot better in the circle. Our PK is showing that you don't need to win every draw... but winning more would certainly be preferable.

If that someone is a worse PKer than Blueger and ends up getting his minutes, there's a good chance it hurts.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
The over the top anger about depth players is just the worst.

If that someone is a worse PKer than Blueger and ends up getting his minutes, there's a good chance it hurts.

Pageau is a better Pk guy than Teddy... also a better even strength guy and a better faceoff guy... in fact I am pretty sure he trumps him across the board... Teddy stays at a4c ... Pageau takes 3C... Bjugstad ends up a 4th or 3rd line winger... it makes that bottom six a real bastard to play against through and through

Reactions: Ryder71

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Pens need a second line winger type of addition if they want to go on a run.

Maybe trade Kahun and a pick for a second line LW that will actually work with Malkin-Rust.

Reactions: ownal

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Forget JPG. Forget a bottom 6 vet. Forget a depth defenseman.

This team lives or dies with two related things:

1. Sid and Geno attacking.

The top 6 is so diluted that it's just not happening. Some nights, it's Sid attacking. Some nights, it's Geno. Some nights, it's none. BUT, if the Pens are going to win another cup, it needs to be both of them. When the Pens were winning without Sid, it was one stacked line of Jake-Geno-Rust setting the tone, and the whole attacking mentality flowed from it.

2. The defense starting the attack and supporting transition. Losing Marino killed, but he'll be back.

Honestly, the moves right now are (a) a top 6 winger (not necessarily a top, top guy, but someone to add to the mix who's a better complement than what we've got now) and (b) a defensive partner for Marino so we can ride the **** out of our top two pairings.

I don't think that's how JR is leaning, but any move that doesn't address the two real issues/weaknesses is little more than rearranging the furniture.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Pens need a second line winger type of addition if they want to go on a run.

Maybe trade Kahun and a pick for a second line LW that will actually work with Malkin-Rust.

One thing we saw today is why I prefer Rust-Geno-Horny. It's ugly, ugly, and ugly (Horny and Malkin are oil and water, and Rust shouldn't be on the left side), but it's the best option the Pens have right now.

The other option, by the way, MIGHT be this: Find a legit guy to mesh with Geno and slide Rust up with Sid and Zucker. Then, if you go far enough when Jake returns, you deal with the 'problem' of who plays with whom.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
One thing we saw today is why I prefer Rust-Geno-Horny. It's ugly, ugly, and ugly (Horny and Malkin are oil and water, and Rust shouldn't be on the left side), but it's the best option the Pens have right now.

The other option, by the way, MIGHT be this: Find a legit guy to mesh with Geno and slide Rust up with Sid and Zucker. Then, if you go far enough when Jake returns, you deal with the 'problem' of who plays with whom.

I'm not opposed to sliding Rust up to the top line to play with Crosby and Zucker, but it won't stay that way for long if Simon is still on the roster.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Even Dupuis scored more often though.

FamousUnfoldedCusimanse-max-1mb.gif

Reactions: Shockmaster

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
They need to figure out the lines. McCann not at center sucks. Crosby is still wobbly five on five, Simon isn’t reliable. I’m hoping Marino and Dumo and a depth move is enough.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Second + Zar for Smith. 3rd for Sheary.

Sheary - Crosby - Zucker
Smith - Malkin - Rust
Kahun - McCann - Horny
TB - Bjugstad - Tanev

Bjugstad only because of his FO %. TB can play LW.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad