Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap - No man of the flesh could ever stop me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
I dont really see the issue with signing Bogo. Hes gonna be 9th on depth chart. Id much rather get him for free rather than spend a 4th for a guy like Sreit.
Exactly. Streit played a whopping 3games for us in the 2017 cup run with fairly limited ice time. That was with Letang already out. If we’re talking getting a guy to be Trotman-level depth then I’m okay with Bogo. He’s a vet guy who could be a presence in the locker room, and with a healthy D Riikola/Ruh would come before him anyway.

Now, if people want to improve this D more drastically by shipping out Schultz for assets, and then using those assets to chase a good D addition to actually get drastically better, I’m all for that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Malkinstheman

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'm indifferent on Bogo.
On one hand theres not much out there left unless you pony up for Gustafsson.
It's whatever for me.

I believe the best D to be:

Dumo-Letang
JJ-Marino
MP-Riiko/JS/Ruh

I really like the idea of getting JJ-Marino back together cuz it's an ideal spot for JJ and they were actually decent when together this season.
When you think about that pairing, it wouldn't be the easiest pairing to play against either.
The one man breakout machine complimented JJ the best.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Man, how lucky were the Pens that summer? First they win the Cup (which always involves at least some amount of luck to accomplish), then they manage to have only a few players that needed new contracts, and nobody who was going to break the bank to re-sign. As a result, JR had no reason to make any significant UFA signings that summer.
Yeah looking back, it’s kinda nice we managed to stay out of that debacle right after the cup. It’s just astounding how that class’s talent imploded almost overnight, minus stamkos (who of course stayed home). I’d love to crunch those points vs salary numbers

It’s kind of amazing how, especially under JR, the mid season trade has usually been the method of improving this team. I always wish for cap space so that we can be players on July 1, and add to this team without losing more futures, but it’s probably for the best we stay the hell away.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
The way I see it, signing Bogosian would basically be a tryout for next year. Bring him in at league minimum, give him a few games during the regular season, and if he looks ok he’s your bottom pairing guy for the next season.

Will he look ok though? That I seriously doubt.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada

Wow, I honestly didnt think it was THAT bad

Thats something that needs to be addressed. Bring in a solid PK guy. I wonder what the cost of Boyle would be from the Panthers if they decide to sell.

Please repeatedly hold on to your butt in anticipation for the return of our Irish prince.

giphy.gif

In regards to bringing him back?

tenor.gif

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Seen a chart today that showed the steep drop in our 5v5 shot share.
We miss Dumo/Marino immensely.
Gustafsson would be a really solid get atm cuz you pair him with Marino and you are most likely having alot of fun in the OZ.

Dumo-Letang
Gustafsson-Marino

Is the type of top 4 that can tilt ice pretty heavily.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Gustafsson could be fun but isn’t he like a super liability in his own zone? I doubt he would play over JJ then.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Gustafsson could be fun but isn’t he like a super liability in his own zone? I doubt he would play over JJ then.

Think of it as giving the F group high octane gas which is the best defense for this current squad.
The biggest thing is outlet passes/keeping possession/joining the rush/D support in the OZ.
Those things would do wonders vs Gustafsson losing his man here and there.
There may be interest but doubt it's gonna happen so Bogosian it probably is with Sheary or Simmonds up front probably.

Reactions: Andy99

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
@Coastal Kev Whats your thoughts on possibly getting Simmonds. Assume you are all for it, yea? Or is he simply not an effective banger anymore?
We need a banger junkie's input.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Being a contract year Bogo will probably go to the team where he’s going to play the most.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I see no more polite way to put it - anyone more focused on our PK's face-off percentage than how many it concedes and how many it scores has a very faulty idea of what matters.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Its something that eventually needs to be addressed. Crosby cant be the only guy that we can rely on to win a faceoff.

Where there goes that dream...

It’s not affecting our PK though. The numbers are good and we’re a threat to score.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad