Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap - Bargain Bin Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Doesn’t one only have to see that Dumo is still not on the ice long past projections for his return to be worried...at least about how effective he’ll be upon return....that in and of itself should be screaming “trade for a depth LD now” don’t you think?

I hear you, but apparently Rutherford is in a field of uncertainty, and given he knows a lot more about Dumo's medical condition than us, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt despite remembering well how Letang's 2017 went.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
it’s 10 days from the deadline...not weeks...and if he wants 48 hours before that, then that’s a week from now...what is going to learn about Dumo in that time? The dude is not skating weeks past estimates for his return...that should raise at least concerns about his effectiveness when he returns sufficient to trade for a depth D man you would think...

Thw quote wasnt about Dumo.

he was asked if he was going to make anymore move and the response was hes going to make that decision about 48 hours before the deadline so he can get more info on all of our injured guys.

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019
Doesn’t one only have to see that Dumo is still not on the ice long past projections for his return to be worried...at least about how effective he’ll be upon return....that in and of itself should be screaming “trade for a depth LD now” don’t you think?
I'm more worried about the prospect of Schultz as a 3RD than the remote possibility that Johnson or Petts has to play 1LD. Maybe it's just me, but Schultz has not looked right at all since coming back. I hold my breath every time he steps on the ice.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I'll also post any scout list tweets i see this time of year:

I realize we play them next so could be nuttin'.

PIT was also at another game last night:

Far as PIT scouting games. The reported latest ones are:

NJ/PHI game.
BOS/MTL game.
ARI/OTT game.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Flyers are pretty good this year, I hope they play Washington in the first round if they make it.

I think I’d like Namestnikov if he’s cheap, I liked his game when he was in Tampa.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Namestnikov and Boedker are 2 good guesses for who the Penguins are looking at. Both of those guys make a lot of sense as depth forwards that would be fairly cheap to add. You probably wouldn't have to pay more than a 4th for them, based on what Frolik was just traded for.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Ideally any rental dman would be left sided because a) Dumo's the real point of concern b) Riikola plays his off-side better than any of the RD unless we wanna go Letang-Marino again which doesn't sound a wonderful plan.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I think Namestnikov and Boedker are 2 good guesses for who the Penguins are looking at. Both of those guys make a lot of sense as depth forwards that would be fairly cheap to add. You probably wouldn't have to pay more than a 4th for them, based on what Frolik was just traded for.

Boedker?! Doesn't he have to play to be scouted? Game log:

- TheHockeyNews

I'd only take him as a last resort and hopefully at 50% retained. And as a future 6th or 7th.

Re: Bogosian

Maybe in the off season signed to a 1 year, $1M deal.

Reactions: Louis Hensler

Louis Hensler

Jul 24, 2019
Ideally any rental dman would be left sided because a) Dumo's the real point of concern b) Riikola plays his off-side better than any of the RD unless we wanna go Letang-Marino again which doesn't sound a wonderful plan.
They way they're playing right now, I like Cough Drop as a 3LD better than I like either Ruh or Schultz as a 3RD. For that reason, I think RD may be a greater need (especially since Dumo probably will be back).

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
They way they're playing right now, I like Cough Drop as a 3LD better than I like either Ruh or Schultz as a 3RD. For that reason, I think RD may be a greater need (especially since Dumo probably will be back).

The lack of certainty on Dumo is far, far more worrying to me than current form on the 3rd pairing. There's a bunch of ways we can wrangle our way around the latter; the former is turning into our single biggest loss so far.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I disagree. I'm more confident in Riikola being the #4 LD than either Riikola or Ruhwedel being the #4 RD. If you get someone like Bogosian, you can keep guys on their natural sides with injuries to 1 LD and 1 RD. If you acquire Hainsey, you have to slide Riikola to RD and that's not preferable.

Before someone responds to me with "I'd rather have Hainsey than Bogosian as a player", I'm just making a point here :laugh:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If JR eyed F's, wonder if Namestnikov would still be doable.
Probably cost a B/C level prospect and a 3rd at most.

Zucker-Sid-Kahun/Simon
Namestnikov-G-Rust
Simon/Kahun-McCann-Horny
BART

Again, as said before, he's good defensively and has history of producing with elite talent.
Also a UFA so no cap tied up for next season and OTT is probably 100% willing to deal him cuz he's likely walking at the end of the season.
ETA: Also a regular PK'er.
While everyone else pays large for Krieder, Toffoli, Smith etc. we can swoop in for a really nice pickup on the cheap or cheaper.

This would be if another long term F injury happens and/or Bjugs is still out 48 hours before the deadline.
I believe you and I briefly discussed Namestikov as a secondary option maybe a month ago? He wouldn't be a bad add, although there might be one or two I'd prefer. But yeah, he could likely be had for cheap and would definitely be an upgrade over some of our bottom depth players..

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

MayorofWBS

Apr 14, 2015
Mars
I'd rather this team got Miles Of Wood. I think he's a buy low guy that can really pay off in the Pens system.

Aston-Reese + 4th for Miles Wood.

For an LD, if JR added a sweetener then I wonder if the Devils would see if Greene would come with salary retained.

Like Miles Wood the player...hate his salary for the Penguins. He would have to payoff in our system or we'd be sucking mud on the cap. Let's face it, Jim's not going to be hard *** with our RFAs. Not his MO at all. Its not like we going to resign them on sweetheart deals. The bottom 6 would be getting $$$. Defense is $$$ with Pett's new contract (hate the contract, not the player...but too long of a deal for a player of his ilk).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad