Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salary Cap - Bargain Bin Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
You can get a mil and a quarter from moving Desmith instead?

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
Keep in mind, goalies tend to bring jack all in trades. Trading a tendy is not the way the org should be looking to get picks back.

I don't think they'd do it for the return, but for the cap space, as Emp mentions. But I think there are work-arounds for that, especially if we can promote the WB/S kids and get rid of Schultz (who's pretty much as good as gone anyway) and Bjugs, which should alleviate a bit of the up-coming goalie cap hit.

Reactions: EightyOne

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
But their backups are usually not playing at an elite level, no? That has to change some of the questions, as well.

Like if Jarry really is getting serious mentions for the Vezina in his rookie season, wouldn't that raise his star in the organization as well?

Grubauer in 2017-2018 had a .923 save% in 35 games, after having a .926 save% in 24 games the previous year. I think he's the closest comparison to Jarry that you can come up with.

But I edited something into that post, I can see a situation arise where Murray is at threat of getting an offer-sheet the Penguins just can't match, so they'd trade him for a little bit more than what his offer-sheet compensation would be. That's what happened with Hamilton in Boston. His offer-sheet compensation is probably a 1st, 2nd and 3rd, so I could see a team with multiple 1sts or 2nds easily offering that at the draft this year. Ottawa makes a lot of sense for that, they have 2 high 1sts and 3 2nds (1 high, 2 lower), so while I don't think they'll get either one of the high 1sts, getting all 3 2nds isn't crazy to suggest.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Based on injury and consistency, going Murray-Desmith is a riiiiisk.

If we're trying to maximize cap WHILE being risky anyway, I save like 4mil going Jarry-Desmith which is extremely riiiiisky, too.

But saves money. Soooo

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't think they can keep both. Not without it hurting elsewhere. I'm not sure they should try. Right now its fine and dandy but you go into next season with goaltenders who've done everything needed to justify a starting berth and can't both have one, particularly with a fight to the death over who stays looming thanks the expansion draft, and maybe that's a situation that poisons things. It's not like one of them and DeSmith isn't a decent goaltending combo. I love the ultimate depth but its added value over one of them and DeSmith probably isn't gigantic.

Would you trade Draft Pickson straight up for Yetmore-Cups?

Obviously, but sadly only his far less talented cousins Maybemore-Cups are available, and working out which of that many is our man is not so easy...

Reactions: EightyOne
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad