Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salad Cap Thread: I'll take my salad with extra salt

Status
Not open for further replies.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Is Daniel Sprong actually an NHLer? Who knows. But you are about to get a prerecorded 4 paragraph response with lots of numbers thrown at you.

I know

That record has been broken since Lord Kessel's fat ass was jettisoned

Despite the team STILL having one of the best Powerplays in the league

As if they really just want Letang taken away so we can all feel the pain they had when Phil left

Or some stupid ass shit like that

"reeee no one can one time on the left wall ree"

Ok so... Let's gameplan around that...."deficiency"... Which... It isn't even because again... PP isn't a problem. As if 5 PPGs are going to matter. Which is like the difference of the pens and top ten.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lol I like how @Gurglesons and @Empoleon8771 were THIIIIIS close to agreeing with each other

But... Just couldn't let it happen

The extent of which we disagree here is pretty minor. I think we both agree that we need a 4C, but the disagreement would be about how good of a 4C we need. I'm also not totally sold on ERod as an everyday player. His overall stat line looks decent, but when you realize he did that with top-6 usage, Its much less decent :laugh:

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
The extent of which we disagree here is pretty minor. I think we both agree that we need a 4C, but the disagreement would be about how good of a 4C we need. I'm also not totally sold on ERod as an everyday player. His overall stat line looks decent, but when you realize he did that with top-6 usage, Its much less decent :laugh:

I think the other side of the coin is we haven’t seen Rodrigues getting favorable opposition.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I think the other side of the coin is we haven’t seen Rodrigues getting favorable opposition.

Break it down and Rodrigues has -

1 point in 75 minutes with Crosby
2 points in 60 minutes with Malkin (pretty much all with Kapanen)

Then 1 point in 16 with McCann-Kapanen and 1 point in 20 with Tanev-Kapanen. He's had 28 minutes with none of Sid, Kapanen, or Geno - not sure on linemates, but probably Jankowski, Blueger, other guys, and that's 28 minutes at 0-3 and putrid advanced stats.

So bad with Crosby, good with Malkin (mightn't have had much to do with it, but good...), good in small samples in Kapanen middle six lines, and bad with none of them. These are all very small samples, but right now he looks like Kapanen's Dom Simon, only with worse possession results.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm for it but I don't get how that's a good deal for NJD.

It's not a bad one. They're a team that seems to need NHL quality and bodies all over the place, particularly guys who may have some future. Next year they'll have 12 roster spots to fill with 42m, and I imagine one of them will be LD as they've only got Butcher and Ty Smith under contract there for next season. They can afford to protect him under a 7-3 if they're not protecting Subban, which seems fairly sensible at 9m for 1 year of a guy who seemed to hit regression early. Looking at The Athletic, they seem to reckon Zajac is worth somewhere between a 3rd and a 5th. I know I've hammered the case for Pettersson's trade value being in the pits right now, but does it make sense for NJD to forgo a mid-draft pick to get an NHL standard dman who might improve, even if he's maybe a little overpaid for the foreseeable?

If Hextall offered it, I don't see why they wouldn't take it unless they really don't see a fit for him on their LD. He'd be one bounce-back season closer to economic normality from fetching a better pick in trade if nothing else.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
In the ‘21 playoffs?
Either way Zajac is an UFA who’d likely go back to the Devils immediately. They’d not deal a youngster.

Zajac is a vet gamer, makes our 4th line a matchup line and helps special teams a ton - especially the PK.

He can also take and win a key special teams faceoff.

Which we're in short supply of these days.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
Looking at The Athletic, they seem to reckon Zajac is worth somewhere between a 3rd and a 5th.

Honestly, I think that is oddly low. I'd have no problem at all with Hextall giving up a 2nd, and I am sure another contender would do so gladly at the deadline also if they need a bottom6 C. We've done much worse before, and he ticks a lot of the "need here and now and in the playoffs" boxes.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Honestly, I think that is oddly low. I'd have no problem at all with Hextall giving up a 2nd, and I am sure another contender would do so gladly at the deadline also if they need a bottom6 C. We've done much worse before, and he ticks a lot of the "need here and now and in the playoffs" boxes.

I can't find an example of a guy who cost a 2nd last deadline but when you had guys like DeMelo, Cousins, Scandella, Namestnikov etc.etc. going for 3rds and 4ths last year, I don't see why Zajac should cost more. Cousins is the best comparable, very comparable last few seasons to Zajac minus the insane and unsustainable scoring rate Zajac is on. Top 6/4 guys cost 2nd +, bottom 6ers/bottom pairs cost 3rd to 5ths - that seems to be the way it is.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
I can't find an example of a guy who cost a 2nd last deadline but when you had guys like DeMelo, Cousins, Scandella, Namestnikov etc.etc. going for 3rds and 4ths last year, I don't see why Zajac should cost more. Cousins is the best comparable, very comparable last few seasons to Zajac minus the insane and unsustainable scoring rate Zajac is on. Top 6/4 guys cost 2nd +, bottom 6ers/bottom pairs cost 3rd to 5ths - that seems to be the way it is.

Well, Zajac is also a guy who has been a 1B center for a long, long time does well despite getting the toughest assignments on a bottom feeder for most of recent history. He is being played much like a second line C on the Devils in terms of ice time, and with special teams time and matching up against opponents best, I think that wouldn't change much even if Hischier was back.

In any case, if NJ would do it for less than a 2nd, the more reason to do it I suppose.
I'd just prefer if it was Petterson because of the cap-flexibility it'd provide, as well as re-aligning our cost structure a bit, being able to play a more cost-efficient player on the third pairing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad