Salary Cap: Pittsburgh Penguins Salad Cap Thread: I'll take my salad with extra salt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Yeah I can also agree with this.

I edited this into that post after, but I think they're a Phil Kessel caliber difference maker plus a completely revamped bottom-6 F and bottom-3 D away from being what I'd call a legitimate contending team on paper. But at that point, I think it's legitimate to question whether this team can win without moving on from Sullivan. Not because Sullivan is bad, but because I think this team probably needs that jolt of energy from that big of a shakeup for me to think this team can contend.

I think this team could easily be a contender. I don’t see why if healthy we wouldn’t have a chance to make it through to the conference finals

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think this team could easily be a contender. I don’t see why if healthy we wouldn’t have a chance to make it through to the conference finals

I don't think this team will be a legitimate challenger with McCann-Blueger-Tanev and ZAR-Jankowski-ERod as their bottom-6 unless Crosby and Malkin turn the clocks back to 2014.

I don't think you can contend with a purely defensive bottom-6 that will be producing as little as that bottom-6 would likely be producing. You could maybe sell me that the 3rd line is okay and you just need to beef up the 4th line, but I'd feel more comfortable with Tanev on that 4th line.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't think this team will be a legitimate challenger with McCann-Blueger-Tanev and ZAR-Jankowski-ERod as their bottom-6 unless Crosby and Malkin turn the clocks back to 2014.

I don't think you can contend with a purely defensive bottom-6 that will be producing as little as that bottom-6 would likely be producing. You could maybe sell me that the 3rd line is okay and you just need to beef up the 4th line, but I'd feel more comfortable with Tanev on that 4th line.

McCann - Blueger - Tanev at this point would be three players pacing for 35+ pts.

Add in a capable Zucker either on L2 or in place of McCann or Tanev on L3 and I think our depth is fine.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
McCann - Blueger - Tanev at this point would be three players pacing for 35+ pts.

Add in a capable Zucker either on L2 or in place of McCann or Tanev on L3 and I think our depth is fine.

I don't think Tanev producing well over 30 games this year really alleviates my concerns, though. Unless you really beef up that 4th line with getting 2 basically near Tanev caliber players to replace ERod and Jankowski, I'm not really that comfortable with that bottom-6.

Like I said, you maybe could convince me that the 3rd line is fine, but that 4th line isn't and I'm not comfortable with the 3rd line in the context of that 4th line. You need someone who can produce at semi reliable levels in that bottom-6. That doesn't mean a 50 point guy, just another consistent 35-40 point guy for that 3rd line. The difference between that and Tanev isn't huge, but it's enough for me to be iffy on it when their 4th line is also dog poo.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't think Tanev producing well over 30 games this year really alleviates my concerns, though. Unless you really beef up that 4th line with getting 2 basically near Tanev caliber players to replace ERod and Jankowski, I'm not really that comfortable with that bottom-6.

Like I said, you maybe could convince me that the 3rd line is fine, but that 4th line isn't. You need someone who can produce at semi reliable levels in that bottom-6. That doesn't mean a 50 point guy, just another consistent 35-40 point guy for that 3rd line. The difference between that and Tanev isn't huge, but it's enough for me to be iffy on it when their 4th line is also dog poo.

Meh. If we have the type of fire power working in the top nine I see no reason to care about L4. Few teams would be able to match it unless we face Tampa in the SCF or ECF.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Meh. If we have the type of fire power working in the top nine I see no reason to care about L4. Few teams would be able to match it unless we face Tampa in the SCF or ECF.

That kinda goes back to my "unless Crosby and Malkin turn back the clock" comment. If they can do that, then your bottom-6 is likely fine. But I don't want to have to rely on Crosby's line and Malkin's line consistently scoring 3 goals a game combined (as in total between the top-6 lines and the powerplay) or rely on Jarry keeping other teams to 2 goals or fewer, especially in the playoffs.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Unless they’re playing McCann or Erod at 4C, they’d be wise to add one.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The drop from a late 1st to a late 2nd is pretty pronounced IMO.

It's not chump change but I'm not sure about pretty pronounced either. Maybe another 2nd in value? In any case, the drop we're talking about is real, but not so much I'm talking about a big buy low opportunity as a consequence.

In any case, I'm not against him. I'm just not wildly for him.

The only place where I don't see a way on this roster if fit and getting a little luck on chemistry and form is the 4th line. Everything else has demonstrated the ability this season or the one before.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
That kinda goes back to my "unless Crosby and Malkin turn back the clock" comment. If they can do that, then your bottom-6 is likely fine. But I don't want to have to rely on Crosby's line and Malkin's line consistently scoring 3 goals a game combined (as in total between the top-6 lines and the powerplay) or rely on Jarry keeping other teams to 2 goals or fewer, especially in the playoffs.

I’d advocate for a 4C or a 4th liner, but I look at this roster (if healthy) and see no reason to add anywhere else that makes sense from an asset standpoint. I also think having no real time seeing Rodrigues in a 4th line role makes me hesitant in saying he isn’t the solution there.

Last edited:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don’t really think a great powerplay is any evidence of being a championship squad.

Edmonton, Toronto, Boston. Plenty of teams with great PP have done jackshit in the playoffs.

I think you’re mistakenly putting a lot of weight into what worked with Phil Kessel and thinking it’ll just magically work if we plug and play.

No single element of a team guarantees success, but if your identity is offense - like ours is - it had better be good if you want to accomplish anything.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
I think if this team is going to turn into a contender Palmieri isn’t really the reason.

It’s continued goaltending excellence. Matheson playing the same game he is now with actual production coming and us getting healthy and Zucker panning out.
Matheson is our ticket to success?
tenor.gif

So much hype around an offensive dman that is on pace to scores 13 points over 82 games that also can’t play defense on his own end.

He is great at carrying the puck out of the zone, I get it, but yeaaahhh.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
It's interesting that the solutions for the PP outside of Palms are basically "who cares we won't win anyway, don't waste assets" and "it'll sort itself out".

Not exactly proactive approaches.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
It's interesting that the solutions for the PP outside of Palms are basically "who cares we won't win anyway, don't waste assets" and "it'll sort itself out".

It’s interesting that certain posters are so adamant to prove their points it takes away from their otherwise intelligent takes.

And don’t even think about bringing up Letang, because I’ve never otherwise had intelligent takes.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

I would agree that not doing ANYTHING would be dumb.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Other teams boards: We need a top 4 defense man or a top 6 forward to be contenders
Pens fans: We're not contenders because our 4th line sucks

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Lol I like how @Gurglesons and @Empoleon8771 were THIIIIIS close to agreeing with each other

But... Just couldn't let it happen

@Empoleon8771 and I actually agreed that JJ was a worth while try to get a top four guy on a cheap deal. The issue was once I saw the contract.

I said I’d be fine with JJ on a one year prove
it deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: EightyOne

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

We've had three years of hyper-proactive fixing everything from the management, and the main effect has been to burn asset value and make things worse at critical moments because it takes time to build chemistry. I don't know if that's behind anyone else's thinking, but it's sure helping mine. Sometimes it's better to sit still and roll the dice, than go around flinging our last few assets at last minute gambles on getting chemistry and everything to sit up.

We might not need another PP guy. We might not be able to get him to gel. We might get a great PP but can't find a way to make him any more useful than a paperweight and crash out due to the bottom six. We might just miss the playoffs altogether due to ridiculously high levels of injuries. We might get to the playoffs and just not have the big three show well enough again.

Right now we've got potential solutions that don't involve Palmieri, and potential problems a lot bigger than him. Which is why I'm happy to sit pat and add something cheap. If the stars show, maybe we need him and maybe we don't. We certainly win without him - might be a bit lucky, but most wins are somehow. If they don't show, it doesn't matter.

And that's why I'm happy to sit pat.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I think the team would be better served going after someone like Nick Foligno...someone who can get in front of the goalie and bang in a few ugly goals whether on the PP or not...

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016

Is the power play actually a problem?

Reactions: Gurglesons

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
CBJ isn’t looking like they are dealing now that CHI has fallen apart.

I was really hoping Dallas would sleepwalk this season. Was gonna throw some coin at them to win it all with odds for them at like 50 to 1. But they may have fallen too far out to come back at this point. Too bad because they have one of the best rosters in the league.

Reactions: Gurglesons
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad