Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Nice article on BJorkqvist in DK sports. He was rookie of the year in his Finnish League and is now ready to play in the AHL coming over last week. He is a monster as a workout warrior

I hear he's lookin' real jacked.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Nice article on BJorkqvist in DK sports.

giphy.gif

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
For those who follow the prospects closely, do we have anyone who looks like they could be a legit impact player? Or are they a bunch of prospects who project to be replacements for guys like Tanev, Sceviour, and ZAR?

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Nice article on BJorkqvist in DK sports. He was rookie of the year in his Finnish League and is now ready to play in the AHL coming over last week. He is a monster as a workout warrior
It's unfortunate that there are only 5 games left (now 4), maybe that's why they didn't bring over Puustinen, or maybe because he has a shot at playing for Finland at the World Championship.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Preparing myself right now for no Puustinen contract.

I know...they really needed to have signed him already and the fact that he’s not signed probably means he prefers to go the FA route...can’t think it’s anything but that since I can’t believe the Pens wouldn’t have an interest in signing him....

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
For those who follow the prospects closely, do we have anyone who looks like they could be a legit impact player? Or are they a bunch of prospects who project to be replacements for guys like Tanev, Sceviour, and ZAR?

Poulin can be an impact player down the road. I could see Legare also being a good sniper in a top 9 role. But still 2-3 years of developing for them, I know some want to pencil in Poulin right away next year but I think he could use a year in WBS

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Poulin, Legare and Puustinen could all be solid impact wingers. Not sure what's going on with Puustinen's contract and rights. Maybe DOC too? Although DOC probably tops out at Tanev level, just in a different way (kinda tangential but there's one hell of a difference between him and the other two imo). POJ has top 4 potential.

There's a few guys who could be something if they make it but there's not a lot to like about their chances of making it. I'm thinking Cam Lee in particular, but I guess maybe Drozg and Lindgren too (although their chances of making it maybe seem non-existent).

If we keep Zohorna and bring in Puustinen, I'd actually feel almost bullish about getting two solid middle six wingers, maybe a bona fide top six guy, out of the current crop.

Reactions: Sidney the Kidney

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens have 49 contracts out of 50 right now. I think they will have more flexibility after the season to sign guys they like. If they keep Poulin at center which I support, he will need at least a year in the AHL. This playoff is critical for the Pens as to future decisions. Hextall I think is waiting for that before he begins his work.

Giskard

Jun 20, 2008
Alps
Pens have 49 contracts out of 50 right now. I think they will have more flexibility after the season to sign guys they like. If they keep Poulin at center which I support, he will need at least a year in the AHL. This playoff is critical for the Pens as to future decisions. Hextall I think is waiting for that before he begins his work.
I don't think Puustinen counts against the 50 since he is signed for the next season, where we only have 33 players under contract.

The only pick remaining we have to sign by June 1st is Antti Palojärvi, but his number doesn't impress me, especially since he didn't have a single game in the Liiga this year. But of course the numbers don't tell the full story.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
The only pick remaining we have to sign by June 1st is Antti Palojärvi, but his number doesn't impress me, especially since he didn't have a single game in the Liiga this year. But of course the numbers don't tell the full story.

yeah I know he’s supposedly got ok tools but purely on paper he’s probably not worth a contract spot. Not the best when a 21-22 year old still plays some U20 haha.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
The contract number is a limiting factor I think in Hextall not being aggressive in signing college FA if I had to guess. Would have wanted the center from BC oh well. Hextall does want to rebuild the prospect level in numbers and talent but not sure this coming draft is going to help that even picking up say a second on a trade. I was kinda pleased with the signing of Maniscalco last year but I guess he needs some work.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Honestly, I'm not sure what to think of Puustinen, so I'll wait to see how he does in the AHL. Puustinen would hardly be the first undersized and kinda slow goal scorer that tore it up in Europe to not cut it in the NHL, and he certainly wouldn't be the last. Just have to be patient with him and see how he does.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Honestly, I'm not sure what to think of Puustinen, so I'll wait to see how he does in the AHL. Puustinen would hardly be the first undersized and kinda slow goal scorer that tore it up in Europe to not cut it in the NHL, and he certainly wouldn't be the last. Just have to be patient with him and see how he does.

There seems to be a lot of different opinions on how quick he is or not, which could make a huge difference. I agree he's a pretty unknown quantity, but the potential there is exciting.

I also think having him, and Poulin and Legare, and Bjorkqvist as an effectively new player, and probably Lindgren and Almari back too, might help explain why we've got no NCAA UFAs for once. I recall someone saying Hextall saying they were in on a small amount and it not working out, but for the first time in a while we're actually taking a lot of prospects into WBS and the need/room for those College guys is a lot less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad