Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I love Legare’s shooting selection. He shoots to all spots but he likes to shoot low and beat goalies to the butterfly or low blocker / glove out of their reach. Sneaky release.

Not sure how he develops. Could be a 30 goal NHLer or never reach 15 in the AHL or anything in between. But a shooter’s mentality with accuracy + release and a solid all-around game is something you can work with.

He’s chippy too, more than Poulin.

Last edited:

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I hope Poulin and Legare work out, or at least one of them, but guys like Pouliot, Morrow, Bennett, etc. have me so jaded. :laugh:

It would surely help the cause if they both turned out to be legit top 9 forwards. In regards to all of those failed first round picks from the Shero era, most of those guys weren't the best players available. I know Shero came out in a publication and actually said that his pick instead of Bennett was going to be Tarasenko, but STL jumped to the pick ahead of us to pick him. They were sort of left scrambling and picked Beau Bennett because he was a scoring winger.

The Pouliot pick was the wrong pick the very second it was made. The front office got entirely too cute. Forsberg was the BPA followed by Trouba. Morrow wasn't an awful pick but there was a huge contingent that wanted Saad and Jurco.

I love Legare’s shooting selection. He shoots to all spots but he likes to shoot low and beat goalies to the butterfly or low blocker / glove out of their reach. Sneaky release.

Not sure how he develops. Could be a 30 goal NHLer or never reach 15 in the AHL or anything in between. But a shooter’s mentality with accuracy + release and a solid all-around game is something you can work with.

He does have a bit more jam than I remember. Not sure if that is a new trait or if he has always had that. His shot is awesome though. I could see him catching a bit of fire with it in the right situation.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA

Would you say Legare is a rich man’s Sprong?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Between the expansion draft and free agency there should be some holes to fill in the bottom 6 so maybe those 2 will get a crack at it next season.

Maybe Poulin pulls a Marino and forces their hand right out of the gate but the likeliest is probably mid-season call-ups due to injury.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Poulin making the team out of camp/pre-season would be amazing. I just think he and Legare will need at least a year of seasoning in the AHL first. Hell, I want POJ to play in the NHL but with Dumo, Matheson and Petts around, it's gonna be hard to find him a spot even if it'd be the best for his development.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
A wringkle on Poulin's readiness is whether they want to make him a C at the NHL level. If they want to try that, you'd imagine it'd be a little slower as a process. Could be a real boon if they want to keep rolling insane C depth once Carter's gone though.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Even after Carter's gone, we still have Sid, (likely) Geno, and TB down the middle. That's not accounting for McCann if they want him to stay at C.

I think Poulin's path to the NHL is going to have to be wing, unless he kills it as a C in the next year or two of development at the pro level.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Even after Carter's gone, we still have Sid, (likely) Geno, and TB down the middle. That's not accounting for McCann if they want him to stay at C.

I think Poulin's path to the NHL is going to have to be wing, unless he kills it as a C in the next year or two of development at the pro level.

You don't necessarily need to develop a C with that depth, but I can see why they might want to, either to roll 4 lines and keep people's ice time down or to maybe allow Geno to move to W to prolong his impact. Dunno what the org's thinking but it seems there as an option.

Reactions: The Old Master

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
Between the expansion draft and free agency there should be some holes to fill in the bottom 6 so maybe those 2 will get a crack at it next season.

I would be very surprised though if they would make the team out of gate, watching a few Val D'or games this season I think both should be doing a good season in the AHL. maybe even 2. There shouldn't be a rush to bring these guys up, I would personally give Bellerive a shot before those 2 while they get seasoned in the AHL

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
You don't necessarily need to develop a C with that depth, but I can see why they might want to, either to roll 4 lines and keep people's ice time down or to maybe allow Geno to move to W to prolong his impact. Dunno what the org's thinking but it seems there as an option.
I definitely agree that it's better to have a stud prospect at C than W, I just don't see his path to the NHL being at C with this team. Unless we trade Blueger or something, but I don't see that in the plans. We're set for the top-9 at C for the next few years at least, unless Geno decides he wants to retire or walk. I don't hate the idea of an aging Geno at W to make his role less intense, but I don't think we have anything in the way of scoring line centers to make that a realistic possibility. It'd be a different story entirely if we somehow landed Reinhart from the Sabres, but that'd be a deal that would see Poulin sent the other way as part of the package, I'm sure.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
Geeze, they had a game today and it’s already over. 8-2 Val-d’Or, Legare & Poulin both 2+1.

Highlights are up: LHJMQ – Incluant la couverture en direct des matchs, des clips audio et vidéo nouvelles exclusives, billets, statistiques, classements, horaires et autres.
Poulin leads his team in goals 7 and points 10!!!!! Legare is 2nd in goals with 5. This playoffs are going to be really good for both of them. They really need it after not the best regular season. If Poulin can lead his team to win the Cup that will give him a ton of confidence going into training camp.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Keep Poulin at center and develop him with a year in the AHL. Malkin is a wild card here. If he keeps playing below his capability and missing games due to injury, hard to see the Pens paying him big bucks here. Plus Pens will make the hard decisions if this team fails to advance. Don;t have to blow it up, but changes and smart moves can keep the Pens in the hunt.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I definitely agree that it's better to have a stud prospect at C than W, I just don't see his path to the NHL being at C with this team. Unless we trade Blueger or something, but I don't see that in the plans. We're set for the top-9 at C for the next few years at least, unless Geno decides he wants to retire or walk. I don't hate the idea of an aging Geno at W to make his role less intense, but I don't think we have anything in the way of scoring line centers to make that a realistic possibility. It'd be a different story entirely if we somehow landed Reinhart from the Sabres, but that'd be a deal that would see Poulin sent the other way as part of the package, I'm sure.

Positional versatility for a forward is never a bad thing, especially considering Malkin's injury history.

Having guys like McCann and possibly Poulin being able to step in and capably play center when needed would be huge.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Honestly, my big thing here is that a team with Sid-Geno-Blueger and McCann as a step in didn't necessarily need Carter as a C either, yet here we are. If the GM likes Blueger as a very premium 4C and having the best C depth in the league, why wouldn't he look at the possibility of Poulin as an ELC fill in for Carter in '22? If that's the way the GM sees the team, there's a path right there.

If he doesn't then Poulin's probably going to be a W here. So wait and see I guess. But it's something I can see coming up.

LRS87

Oct 7, 2020
Poulin and Legare will be top 9 regulars in 2022-23. Likely replaces Rust and Zucker because of contracts.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Is anyone watching? Seems like Poulin is playing purposely at a slower pace with the puck compared to his time in Sherbrooke. Not good or bad but something I have noticed. That could be W vs C stuff though.

And who knows maybe it’s just the clips.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Val-d’Or plays Chicoutimi in the semis. They’re led by 2 2020 1sts in Mercer & Lapierre plus Kniazev & some good depth. Should be a tougher matchup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->