Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What was that?
nEFdBcF.gif

My panic every time I see a Pens trade is that JR throws him in as a sweetener in a deal. It raises my blood pressure.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Addison's currently the 4th highest scorer in the WHL playoffs, but also has the worst +/- on his team. Feel that neatly encapsulates the hopes and fears about him as a prospect.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Are the Pens not into speedy talented free prospects anymore or is it just big lumbering idiots with Billy G?

Joakim Nygard...why no interest, Pens?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Are the Pens not into speedy talented free prospects anymore or is it just big lumbering idiots with Billy G?

Joakim Nygard...why no interest, Pens?

I don't think any of our college/Euro free agent signings in the last 2 years are more than 6' or 200lbs, and our last draft was half speedy midgets and half speedy big guys, and our most recent WBS call up is a college free agent with good hands and Hagelin-esque wheels, so I'm not quite sure why you need to ask this question.

In any case, Nygard simply isn't a need for a Pens team that is deep at wing and whose best players on the farm are wings and whose best prospects about to join the farm are wings.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't think any of our college/Euro free agent signings in the last 2 years are more than 6' or 200lbs, and our last draft was half speedy midgets and half speedy big guys, and our most recent WBS call up is a college free agent with good hands and Hagelin-esque wheels, so I'm not quite sure why you need to ask this question.

In any case, Nygard simply isn't a need for a Pens team that is deep at wing and whose best players on the farm are wings and whose best prospects about to join the farm are wings.
For some reason, I thought he was also a C.

Also, Billy seems to be more in charge of WBS.

You know, that team doing fantastic and is playoff bound...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
For some reason, I thought he was also a C.

I think I've only ever seen him referred to as a wing; could be wrong mind. Although even then, the number of Ws referred to as Cs on the internet because they played there when they were 18 is wild.

Also, Billy seems to be more in charge of WBS.

You know, that team doing fantastic and is playoff bound...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Yeah, Guerin is WBS and some work on bringing in pro level guys (he helped scout Riikola f'instance). And yes, things aren't going there and he's copped a lot of criticism for that, but that's not got a huge amount to do with our prospects other than there's not very many of them in WBS atm - which might explain things just as much as Guerin. Be interesting to see what happens next year with the talent influx.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
HAVE I NOT BEEN SAYING THIS **** ABOUT KASPER FOR LIKE A FEW YEARS NOW?

No one ever listens to me.

You’d like this...

Obv he’s a captain but the ESPN broadcast yesterday was saying that Bjorkqvist is extremely respected in their locker room. Apparently in the first round of the tournament he gave a speech when they were down 3-0 that the coach said was a big reason Providence focused up and won that game.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Addison's currently the 4th highest scorer in the WHL playoffs, but also has the worst +/- on his team. Feel that neatly encapsulates the hopes and fears about him as a prospect.

Yep. But I'll take an 18 year old offensive d with defensive issues over an 18 year old defensive d with scoring issues any day. We've had way too many of the latter recently.

I like that he seems to be a shoot-first guy from the blueline. Haven't had too many of those either.

Reactions: Peat

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You’d like this...

Obv he’s a captain but the ESPN broadcast yesterday was saying that Bjorkqvist is extremely respected in their locker room. Apparently in the first round of the tournament he gave a speech when they were down 3-0 that the coach said was a big reason Providence focused up and won that game.

This was supposed to be a James Brown camel walk gif but I don't understand technology.

Cv7bRbqLYvqNsdBX8

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Yeah, he’s got a lot of boom or bust in him and I think his introduction to pro hockey (esp. the AHL) might be a bit rough. Why I was hoping for them to lose and for him to even get 5-6 games with WBS under his belt. He could use it imo.

Yep. But I'll take an 18 year old offensive d with defensive issues over an 18 year old defensive d with scoring issues any day. We've had way too many of the latter recently.

Agreed. Don’t get me wrong while the numbers are solid and important... for me it’s less about the scoring and more about the talent with Addison. He’s not just a big junior scorer— all his tangible tools (besides size) are high-end. That’s mainly why I like him.

If he can further develop physically and mentally- his game will round out and the sky will be the limit— which is a great place to be in for a late 2nd round pick imo.

Scoring wise would have actually preferred to see more of a jump in his numbers but nbd. Minor importance. And next year it would be nice for him to have an Ryan Ellis type of year statistically but more so just want him to be his team’s #1 go to blueliner in all situations.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Noted Pens 2nd round pick Johannes Salmonsson plays for Timra with Hallander, hope Filip hasn't been taking tips off Salmonsson.

Reactions: steelcityassault

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You’d like this...

f*** YES.

I've been pumped about this kid since his draft. I can't wait until he joins the Pens. He's a guy that I see spending very little time in WBS.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think I've only ever seen him referred to as a wing; could be wrong mind. Although even then, the number of Ws referred to as Cs on the internet because they played there when they were 18 is wild.

Yeah, Guerin is WBS and some work on bringing in pro level guys (he helped scout Riikola f'instance). And yes, things aren't going there and he's copped a lot of criticism for that, but that's not got a huge amount to do with our prospects other than there's not very many of them in WBS atm - which might explain things just as much as Guerin. Be interesting to see what happens next year with the talent influx.
I'm not completely convinced Sweaty Teddy in WBS is the right developmental coach either, but that's something I have felt since he was hired. I really think we need a stronger person down there to help the Pens churn out more talent within with the cap being tighter.

Reactions: Jacob

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm not completely convinced Sweaty Teddy in WBS is the right developmental coach either, but that's something I have felt since he was hired. I really think we need a stronger person down there to help the Pens churn out more talent within with the cap being tighter.

I dunno man. The argument comes up and I argue in his favour as I think he's beating reasonable expectations of how much talent should come out of WBS given how much goes in. But the truth is I don't really know. I don't see them or know what he's telling them.

I do firmly believe that things could be a hell of a lot worse down there though.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Drozg and Shawinigan down 6-2 in the third in an elimination game tonight. He has an assist so far. Hopefully he's down in WBS for the weekend.

Slovenia is in the second division world championships later this month, so he should at least get to play in that if WBS misses the playoffs.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I dunno man. The argument comes up and I argue in his favour as I think he's beating reasonable expectations of how much talent should come out of WBS given how much goes in. But the truth is I don't really know. I don't see them or know what he's telling them.

I do firmly believe that things could be a hell of a lot worse down there though.

Who's "Sweaty Teddy"? Donatelli?
I think he's been more than fine.
Him, Skalde and TK seem to be the ones running the development side(on and off ice).
The Pens article with AJ, i think it was, he mentioned Kostopoulos helping alot with what it takes to be a pro.
I also remember Donatelli and Skalde were spotted at a recent Providence game to not only check in with Bjorkqvist but to watch Wilkins as well.
I think Guerin is sorta the figure head, as the GM of Wilkes and he'll travel to check in on prospects but the day to day development in Wilkes is all done by the 3 guys i mentioned.

ETA: Plus Forrest, a fairly new/young coach who works with the D.

Last edited:
Reactions: Peat

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think a good coaching candidate for WB/S would be John Wroblewski. He was kind of in the organization previously as an assistant in Wheeling, but he's been at the USNDTP program the last 3-or-so years. Same place we plucked Hynes from.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad