Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Doubt theres any plan to bring up Bellerive/Almeida next year. But one may force their way into the lineup at the start of new year kinda how Guentzel did. Almeida would be 21 so not far fetched. Bellerive 21 next May.

Who knows...could have injuries. Simon and ZAR could either be gone or still havent reached what they expected. And we could have a few spots open. That's not counting just bringing them up for the 4th line...would have to be a problem with the top 9.

Would be nice to see another prospect exceed the usual time frame and move up to front of line . Could be said Sprong deserved that at least with his ability to score (and ppg in AHL) but Bellerive has the potential to put up good numbers while having a complete game and built like Sid. Almeida still on the light side but we'll see. Would have to put up crazy numbers for that to happen.

Should be most interesting year for WBS in awhile. Alot coming at same time. With others entering 2nd season.

I feel like the story of Sully's reign is there's usually space, between injuries/loss of form/trades, for about 2 forwards a season to come up from WBS. I don't know whether it will be those guys so fast, but there'll be opportunity for someone.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Is there an argument that the “safe” high floor close-to-being-pro guys are more valuable to us than the high ceiling/low floor types? Our stars are in place— F1 disruptor types that can fill roster spots for dirt cheap are pretty important.

8478466-2-e1525540535252.jpg

8479944-e1538416971153.jpg

I rest my case.

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
People never understood the argument of simply giving a prospect a legit shot with Geno for 40 games before dumping him. It's simply Sprong stinks, glad he's gone.

Even if you don't like his overall game, they should have played him, let him score a bunch then trade him. Then you might still get Pettersson + a pick.. maybe even a 2nd.

I do like Bellerive from what I have seen though. I would have him in the top 2 for prospect potential.

Sullivan’s job is to win games and put out the best team to do that. He didn’t like Sprong’s 200 foot game and believed he was a net negative which he is. Sprong is one of those players that might get you 20 goals and still be a hindrance on the ice. Sprong was benched for several games with the Ducks but is now getting back in and scoring some goals but with Getzlaf. We have much better options than Sprong on RW and can’t babysit someone when you are fighting for your playoff lives.

The Ducks have nothing to lose by playing him and getting him experience because they are not making the playoffs. When he went to the Ducks they had a good record and in the playoffs. With Sprong in the lineup they went on a long bad streak.

I don’t care about if we got a 2nd because Pettersson is very good value for Sprong. 22 year old rookie defenseman that had the most minutes last game and looks like a top4 defenseman for years for us.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
When he went to the Ducks they had a good record and in the playoffs. With Sprong in the lineup they went on a long bad streak.
you were doing quite well till this. to try and blame sprong for the ducks stink fest just canceled out everything you posted before.
edit; he's on pace for 37 goals,(and that's on the ducks and not getting big minuets) and as for streaky...how long did phil just go without scoring a goal? .. ans. 17 games

Last edited:

CrosbyMalkin

Aug 7, 2005
you were doing quite well till this. to try and blame sprong for the ducks stink fest just canceled out everything you posted before.
edit; he's on pace for 37 goals,(and that's on the ducks and not getting big minuets) and as for streaky...how long did phil just go without scoring a goal? .. ans. 17 games

I am not blaming it all on Sprong but having Sprong in your top 6 is going to hinder your chances of winning on a regular basis. Obviously it was not all Sprong and I was just pointing out that Sprong was getting those minutes and then got benched for several games. Now Sprong is playing again but without pressure because that team is going nowhere. You should score some goals if you are playing with Getzlaf.

Comparing Sprong to Kessel is laughable. Kessel was in the top 10 in scoring last year and has been one of the top wingers in the game for more than a decade. Sprong is far from a 37 goal scorer but using those small sample sizes you can make that point but if that was the case why was he benched for many games in a row? I think Sprong could score 20-25 goals in a season but like I said in my last post he would still be a net negative to his team.

I said after watching Pettersson on the Pens for a dozen games that this was a cant lose trade. Pettersson has proved to me that he can play top 4 minutes and he is doing it in his rookie year as a 22 year old defenseman. I believe Pettersson will be a 30’s point defenseman that can play top 4 minutes and those are worth one dimensional goal scorers even if Sprong becomes a regular top 6 forward.

Look what Rutherford has brought prospect wise this year, Pettersson and McCann. They might not be technically in the category of prospect but adding two 22 year olds that have been playing like this is just as good as developing a prospect from the draft and they would be our top 2 prospects that age or younger. Rutherford has done crazy good with asset management over his time with the Pens. This year has been some of his best work. When you can take 3 underperforming UFA’s and a benched prospect and turn them into McCann 22, Pettersson 22, Bjugstad 26, and Gudbranson 27 all with us for 3 Cup runs or more that is great asset management. I think we finally found our 3C answer that in my opinion is better than Bonino and more closer to Staal as far as Pens history of 3C’s. McCann and Pettersson have 1st round trade value easily if we wanted to trade them which we would be foolish to. Gudbranson has been a monster pickup and one of the Pens top defenseman since coming over. I look at what Rutherford has done and it is some of his best work reminding me of his 2016 work.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

He’s on pace for 37 points and about 27 goals. Very Cy Young esque.

Pettersson’s been real solid so I’m not too upset.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Comparing Sprong to Kessel is laughable. Kessel was in the top 10 in scoring last year and has been one of the top wingers in the game for more than a decade.
all I was comparing was kessel (one of the top wingers in the game) has dry spells scoring, and you are pointing to a rookie having a smaller dry spell as Attempt to make him look bad.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Doubt theres any plan to bring up Bellerive/Almeida next year. But one may force their way into the lineup at the start of new year kinda how Guentzel did. Almeida would be 21 so not far fetched. Bellerive 21 next May.

Almeida wont be 21 until feb i believe. He is not the much older than Bellerive. Both them should and ill start in WBS. They will battle out for who gets called up first. The competition should be good for both.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Tbh I think Sprong and ZAR does offer an interesting case study in terms of what the org values. Rutherford clearly set more stock in Sprong and what he could do, but because he couldn't reach the right floor in time, Sully didn't value him. That's not to say the org values safe over gambles in general, but certainly when it comes to the sharp end, ceiling gets forgotten if floor isn't met.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Almeida wont be 21 until feb i believe. He is not the much older than Bellerive. Both them should and ill start in WBS. They will battle out for who gets called up first. The competition should be good for both.

Yep, only 3 months apart and they'd have been in the same draft class.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If we keep our 1st this year, I hope we go all-in on skill and draft Cole Caufield.

Even if we have to move up.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Last day of the Q regular season today. Drozg and Shawinigan are tied for the last playoff spot with D'orio's former mates in St John. Not sure who has the tie breaker, but whoever gets in will promptly get swept by Rouyn Noranda, so Drozg either has 1 or 5 games left before he is in WBS.

Providence had a big comeback OT win against Boston College last night (no points for Bjorkqvist). They play BC again tonight.

I was mistaken last week with respect to Ryan Jones and UNO, they were not in a playoff series last week (just two games against the same team). Their playoffs started last night, and they promptly lost. Jones had an assist. They need to win to stay alive tonight.

Minnesota (Phillips) plays Notre Dame in a single elimination game tonight. Penn St (Pavlychev) plays Ohio St in the other Big Ten semi. Both teams effectively need to win the conference to make the tourny at this point based on results in other conferences.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I wouldn't be against guys like that, but I think the org bias should be towards getting a high end dman or two.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Drozg Store News/ "Hear all about it!"

Drozg garbage team, the Shawinigan Cataractes can still make the PO with a win today against a better Victoriaville Tigres in this last regular season game (even if the Sea Dogs, currently with the last PO place, do get a point).

If so, i'm looking forward for the Drozg creature to get to play against a much stronger team than the Tigres in PO for experience purposes, even if his team ends up getting totally obliterated.
download.php

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
There's a lot of noise about Caufield but I don't know much about the other two. Impressions?

I don’t pretend to be an expert but-

Robertson has everything but size. Fast, hands, one of the best shots in class. Competes his ass off. Just super noticeable.

Hoglander not an amazing skater but sick hands. Plays kinda like a power forward despite size. Really smart.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The scouting report I just read on Hoglander makes him sound like a short handsy forward with a Hornqvist mentality.

Also, rooting around to try and find some good comparables for just how excited to be about Almeida's production, and noticed his ppg pace is currently .12 behind where Brayden Point was at the same age and they've got very similar frames too. Now, I'm not saying he's going to be as good as Point, but even half as good would be super awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad