Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Prettyy preeetttty early to guess but here's some possible forward line combos for WB/S. Gonna try to balance returning players and vets with rookies.

Miletic - Lafferty - Hallander
Almeida - Blandisi - Bjorkqvist
Bellerive - Johnson - Angello
Lucchini - Wilkins - Haggerty
Olund, Drozg

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Providence knocked out by BC in conference playoffs. They will have to wait until next weekend to find out if they make the national championship tournament. Should still get in, but could be on the outside looking in if there are a couple of upsets.

Penn State upset Ohio State. They play Notre Dame in the Big Ten final and need a win to get into the tourny.

Fogel

Analytics please
May 10, 2010
PA
Tbh I think Sprong and ZAR does offer an interesting case study in terms of what the org values. Rutherford clearly set more stock in Sprong and what he could do, but because he couldn't reach the right floor in time, Sully didn't value him. That's not to say the org values safe over gambles in general, but certainly when it comes to the sharp end, ceiling gets forgotten if floor isn't met.

I agree that ultimately the floor wasn't met, but I would also argue he was done a disservice by the team. The team starting Sprong's ELC clock early with that year riding the bench and likely changed a lot of his development path. If the contract slid and he wasn't waiver eligible early, we don't have as many characters used on his departure/performance with the team.

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
To give you an idea as how challenging it will be for Drozg's team to win just one game against the Huskies, just fathom this:

In 68 games Rouyn-Noranda finished with 119 pts while the Shawinigan Cataractes ended up with only 33 pts, this 86 pts difference is an all time record between Q's PO opponents.

Of course that wouldn't happen if 16 of the 18 Q teams made the PO...

Reactions: GrittyHawkDown

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I agree that ultimately the floor wasn't met, but I would also argue he was done a disservice by the team. The team starting Sprong's ELC clock early with that year riding the bench and likely changed a lot of his development path. If the contract slid and he wasn't waiver eligible early, we don't have as many characters used on his departure/performance with the team.

Absolutely.

Even there though you can see how much Rutherford valued him. It led him into making a big mistake, but it was done out of belief in the player and his value.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Wonder if the team will bring in Lewis Zerter-Gossage. Remember him getting press last camp. Has size, seems to be a high-character type. Led Harvard in goals by a comfortable margin and wore the “C” there.

Edit: Was actually a co-captain, goal scoring numbers are quietly impressive as he’s 7th in G per game nationally. Described as a “go-to guy” and “clutch” by student paper. Went to Habs camp in 2017.

Last edited:

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
New Mackey article mentions Pens excited for Bellerive and Bjork to WB/S next season.
Also mentions plan is Almari to WB/S and not sure on Hallander because hes still 18.
Also, Lauzon will be invited to rookie camp and looking to turn pro if his injuries allow him to

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Also that Lafferty is exceeding internal expectations with his progress.

Crazy story with Lauzon. I felt sure he'd be finished.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
New Mackey article mentions Pens excited for Bellerive and Bjork to WB/S next season.
Also mentions plan is Almari to WB/S and not sure on Hallander because hes still 18.
Also, Lauzon will be invited to rookie camp and looking to turn pro if his injuries allow him to

Lauzon is a Penguins already then if he's got problematic injuries.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
I didn't like the Lauzon pick, but it wouldn't be unthinkable for him to have an NHL career if his injuries are fully healed. People started lumping him in as a Connor Hall clone, but there are distinct differences between the two:

1. He was an elite-level defensive D in his age 17 season and won the best defensive D award for the Q.
2. We don't know what his offensive ceiling is because he only has 25 games since and they were scattered between injuries.
3. I don't know exactly how Lauzon was injured (x2), but Connor Hall got to the point where he was injuring himself delivering innocuous looking checks. What Lauzon is going through doesn't seem similar.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I didn't like the Lauzon pick, but it wouldn't be unthinkable for him to have an NHL career if his injuries are fully healed. People started lumping him in as a Connor Hall clone, but there are distinct differences between the two:

1. He was an elite-level defensive D in his age 17 season and won the best defensive D award for the Q.
2. We don't know what his offensive ceiling is because he only has 25 games since and they were scattered between injuries.
3. I don't know exactly how Lauzon was injured (x2), but Connor Hall got to the point where he was injuring himself delivering innocuous looking checks. What Lauzon is going through doesn't seem similar.

4. Lauzon, by all reports and sightings, can really skate. Hall could shift it at top speed, but I'm not so sure about his pivots and turns.

Guys who are committed, physical and can skate are halfway there to NHL careers. 'Just' the IQ and puck skills to consider.

JimmyTwoTimes

Apr 13, 2010

They should be..these guys are better prospects than what we've had(except Sprong but situation handled diff) for awhile all coming up at once. Rust and Blueger for example weren't as highly thought of at this same stage. Id say most of these are Guentzel like prospects. Doesnt mean they will reach that level but not sure why alot think we have such a bad farm system. Especially being as good as we are(of course the bottom teams will keep stacking up on prospects).

Might see our 4th line be.... Bellerive - Blueger- Bjorkvist later in the year next season. A talented 4th line for once instead of the typical Adams...Kuhn..Rowney type 4th lines weve had outside of Cullen being our center for 3 seasons. Would be a young line but all of them play a solid 200 foot game. Tho they'd prob have Bellerive in top 6 if he does play good enough to come up.

And I do think at least Bellerive will go the route of Guentzel instead of the Rust's and Blueger's ...spending years in the AHL before finally making the jump. Could also see Bjorkvist too if they are willing to play Wilson there for this long.

Last edited:
Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Angello wasn't name dropped I don't think. Seems like he tailed off since a hot start. Needs to use his size more?

Correct, nothing about him... or 20 odd prospects to be fair. Wouldn't want to read too much into it and I'm not sure he tailed off much more than Lafferty production wise. As for what he needs to do more - you'd need a WBS watcher to answer that. He certainly didn't look shy about using his size back in training camp.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
not sure why alot think we have such a bad farm system.

And I do think at least Bellerive will go the route of Guentzel instead of the Rust's and Blueger's ...spending years in the AHL before finally making the jump. Could also see Bjorkvist too if they are willing to play Wilson there for this long.

To the top point: Lack of D. Forward prospects are decent, but there’s like 3 defenders who realistically look like they even have a chance to play in the NHL.

I think it’s thin and devoid of any top end prospects, not necessarily that bad. Relative to other teams it’s not great. But the guys we do have seem to be solid.

Agree Bellerive won’t spend years in the AHL, but I think he’s likely be there for the full year unless he’s just dominant. Org seems to like to let these guys overripen as much as possible.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
To the top point: Lack of D. Forward prospects are decent, but there’s like 3 defenders who realistically look like they even have a chance to play in the NHL.

I think it’s thin and devoid of any top end prospects, not necessarily that bad. Relative to other teams it’s not great. But the guys we do have seem to be solid.

Agree Bellerive won’t spend years in the AHL, but I think he’s likely be there for the full year unless he’s just dominant. Org seems to like to let these guys overripen as much as possible.
might be a good time to look for a high end center that we could have ready to slide into the top two. most of our forwards are going to be wingers. imo

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Several can play Center if needed because of injuries.

That doesn't make them suitable candidates for the role The Old Master is talking about though.

I was going to say we were being premature but once I thought about it, if we're worried about Malkin leaving at the end of his contract, this is the sort of time to be thinking about a replacement. Also gives you a shot at replacing Bjugstad in two years if he walks.

Of course, the odds of getting a C that good as late as we hope to be picking in the draft are pretty low. I wouldn't stress it. But if one drops there, there's certainly no reason to pass on them.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Wouldn't it be better for Lauzon's development to go back for an overage season? given how much hockey he's missed. Though I'm guessing teams are probably looking for more of a sure thing from their overager player.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Wouldn't it be better for Lauzon's development to go back for an overage season? given how much hockey he's missed. Though I'm guessing teams are probably looking for more of a sure thing from their overager player.

He's too old. In order to be eligible to be an overager, you have to be turning 20 during the year the season begins. So for next season, that's turning 20 during 2019. Lauzon was born in 1998, which means he's turning 21 this calendar year.

Reactions: wej20
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad