Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
BPA is the best strategy imo

True true; but if they're looking for tiebreakers based on positional need, I'd look there first. Then skill wingers tbf. With an emphasis on ready soon guys; don't need to compromise everything on ready now, but leave the long term projects until late.

Assuming we have any picks at all that is...:sarcasm:

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
True true; but if they're looking for tiebreakers based on positional need, I'd look there first. Then skill wingers tbf. With an emphasis on ready soon guys; don't need to compromise everything on ready now, but leave the long term projects until late.

Or if we have a chance to trade up or down. Preferably up.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Agree with that. Just hopefully it’s a skater.

Even with a 25 y/o starting goaltender, wouldn’t be surprised to see Rutherford go after Knight. That would suck.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Hopefully we sign Wilkins. I'm just kind of assuming we will.

With the glut of winger prospects in WB/S though (Almeida, Bellerive, Miletic, Johnson, Haggerty, Angello), I think Bjorkqvist would be better off staying in college, just because he has the option.

Then there's Hallander who we might be forced to make room for because his only other option is a step down in competition to the Allsvenskan.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

With the glut of winger prospects in WB/S though (Almeida, Bellerive, Miletic, Johnson, Haggerty, Angello), I think Bjorkqvist would be better off staying in college, just because he has the option.

Then there's Hallander who we might be forced to make room for because his only other option is a step down in competition to the Allsvenskan.
Is Haggerty a serious option at all? I am intrigued by him, but I think he's just not a guy that this team will ever give a shot to. There were times they could have called him up and didn't.

Haggerty is 26yrs old too.

Also, don't forget about Drozg.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Almeida adds a goal and 2 assists in his final game of the regular season and finishes 3rd overall in points with 111 points (2nd in point per game).

Who's Langan? Dude had 42pts the year before and then jumps to 113? Is Almeida that god like in the Dub?

From what I can understand, their top line was Almeida-Langan-Tracey. Almeida went from 98pts to 111pts, but Langan...42 in 70 to 113?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Our 5th round approach is better than rounds 1 and 2.

The third round is where the real magic happens. Unless I'm mistaken, this is the current active Pens 3rd Round All Stars roster

Guentzel-Sundqvist-Rust
Bortuzzo-Letang
Murray

While this would be 1st and 2nd combined with no lottery picks...

Bluegers-Staal-Kapanen
Goligoski-Maatta
Jarry

There's something to be said for that; my guess is they'll switch someone to C (probably Adam Johnson). Although it sounds like its happening anyway.

They also might leave a wing spot open right out of camp and let the best WBS wing take it. That would be nice and sensible so I doubt it happens.

Is Haggerty a serious option at all? I am intrigued by him, but I think he's just not a guy that this team will ever give a shot to. There were times they could have called him up and didn't.

This team has form for giving chances to older AHLers, so I can see it happening. I think he just needs to stay fit and in form.

edit: Drozg's team made the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018

Almost positive Wilkins will stay. Imo that’s why he got the camp invite, and not a contract. Will be a Lucchini situation where they monitor him next year I think. Could be wrong.

Bjorkqvist is coming out, and should. Cream will rise to the top in WB/S. Would be shocked if he stayed. Lot of guys you mentioned are close to being career AHLers anyway.

As for Hallander, I want him over personally. But Haase was saying that the Penguins own his rights, not Timra. They could loan him to a different SHL club if they wanted next year.

Reactions: Dux917

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Almost positive Wilkins will stay. Imo that’s why he got the camp invite, and not a contract. Will be a Lucchini situation where they monitor him next year I think. Could be wrong.

Bjorkqvist is coming out, and should. Cream will rise to the top in WB/S. Would be shocked if he stayed. Lot of guys you mentioned are close to being career AHLers anyway.

As for Hallander, I want him over personally. But Haase was saying that the Penguins own his rights, not Timra. They could loan him to a different SHL club if they wanted next year.

I think Wilkins is expected to turn pro somewhere this summer; nothing's etched in stone, but that's what I read (either from Haase or the guy who tweeted it, I forget) and he's at the point of career progression where he probably should imo. Remember that we can't offered a contract even if we wanted to at this stage because his season isn't done.

Also only two of Jacob's list have more than one season in the AHL; I don't think categorising the majority as being close to career AHLers fits. Bjorkqvist should still come, but it is majorly crowded with guys with potential there.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

BladeRunner66

Two-Headed Jerk
Oct 23, 2017
Yes! With a goal and 2 assists Jan Drozg helped the Cats make the PO. His final RS stats are:
60GP21G41A62Pts48Pim-35
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

DROZG STORE NEWS (PO Edition)

Drozg Lord VS Giant Huskies

Jan Drozg will face his biggest challenge in his young career yet. His garbage team, the Shawinigan Cataractes are going to face the team that just beat the Q's record for most wins (59), the mighty Rouyn-Noranda Huskies.

I'd be surprised if the Cats win a game but if Drozg can manage to record a few points it would at least be a personal gain. However, if he does help his team win a single game i can guarantee the Shawinigan Drozg Store will explode!
4c4b48ee-93d0-dfff-ab25-cd1cfdee8ee0_1024x1024.jpg

FreeBobbyFarnham

Jun 16, 2015
Montreal
Who's Langan? Dude had 42pts the year before and then jumps to 113? Is Almeida that god like in the Dub?

From what I can understand, their top line was Almeida-Langan-Tracey. Almeida went from 98pts to 111pts, but Langan...42 in 70 to 113?
Langan's skating is really poor and in todays NHL you gotta be average at the very least. Strength is the one thing he's got over everyone else being an overager and physically mature. In my opinion he seems like the typical overager that dominates his final year of junior, but isn't all that at the pro level. Could be wrong though as every player develops differently.

Dominance

99-66-4-9-87/97
Sep 30, 2017
The Land of Hockey
I see the talk about BPA in the first round, and I might be inclined to agree, but our prospect balance is just way too far off. Bellerieve, Almeida, Hollander, Bjorkqvist, Drozg etc. is a diverse and respectable young forward group, but on defense we have Addison, and...

That’s a guy who has good potential but will only make the NHL in a specific role. If we’re picking around 23, I say we take a d-man, whichever is available of: Soderstrom (pipe dream), Seider (please, please), Harley (maybe), and Heinola (likely to be available). Not including York as he’s just a more promising Addison.

Last edited:

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I think Wilkins is expected to turn pro somewhere this summer; nothing's etched in stone, but that's what I read (either from Haase or the guy who tweeted it, I forget)

Also only two of Jacob's list have more than one season in the AHL; I don't think categorising the majority as being close to career AHLers fits. Bjorkqvist should still come, but it is majorly crowded with guys with potential there.

True true, hopefully they bring him in then.

Didn’t categorize the majority as career AHLers, but I think at least a few of those guys absolutely will be. Outside of Almeida and Bellerive that group is more depth prospects with some upside than anything else.

My point is that a prospect like Bjorkqvist should be able to beat Johnson and Haggerty and others out, but if he can’t then we’re not missing out on anything. I really don’t mind it being crowded.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Langan's skating is really poor and in todays NHL you gotta be average at the very least. Strength is the one thing he's got over everyone else being an overager and physically mature. In my opinion he seems like the typical overager that dominates his final year of junior, but isn't all that at the pro level. Could be wrong though as every player develops differently.
Bill Guerin doing wonders to reverse the trends from speed to shit slow.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002

He’s not a prospect but he’ll probably be ahead of some rookies on the depth chart.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
If we’re picking around 23, I say we take a d-man, whichever is available of: Soderstrom (pipe dream), Seider (please, please), Harley (maybe), and Heinola (likely to be available). Not including York as he’s just a more promising Addison.

I think York is my top target for the Pens that’s within the realm of possibility regardless of position. He’ll probably be gone but could fall. Would call him the 2nd best d man in the class.

After him, I like Harley and Soderstrom.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->