Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
He’s doing it with ZAR, it’s just IMHO he’s latched onto the wrong young guy, sadly.

I’m 99% sure TB is better than ZAR. All ZAR does better is hit. They are both good PK guys, TB is better defensively, TB is a way better passer and worlds better on the boards. He’s a lot better stickhandler and better skater.

TB has even found his scoring touch.

I’m 100% convinced ZAR is being given all this leeway and unearned chances because they want a 25 year old Kunitz, but I don’t see him even remotely in the same universe.

Start with the fact that prime Kunitz skated like twice as well and go from there. I hated him here post-2014 Olympics, but ZAR is not even close to 2007 Duck Kunitz or 2010-13 Pen Kunitz.

I thought he was supposed to be Horny lite, but I don't see him in front of the net often. And if he was Horny lite, why isn't he out on PP1 instead of Jake, who doesn't look particularly good playing the net-front presence there.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Even if they're bearish on his NHL upside, surely that sort of production deserves a look. It wouldn't be the first time a guy who is producing in the AHL has defied middling talent evaluations and made the transition successfully. Not even attempting to find out if that describes Blueger is completely bizarre.

I’d say the problem may be that Sullivan really likes his guys who had to fight for it more. They’re reaching shit or get off the pot time for seeing if Blueger is an NHL player or boosting his value if Sullivan is being a brat with another player without being told to get over it. That’s a 2nd round pick producing well right now. f***ing finding out what he is is more important than offensively hopeless grinder being physical. Grant has also been more a 13F to me than a guy you have to have playing every game. Blueger hasn’t been blocked by an impenetrable wall of great play these last 2 seasons.

And, not to shit on Wilson. I get the impression he’s a great guy (because they say it a lot) and a good AHL player but that doesn’t make him an NHL player or someone who should be in the NHL depth chart talk barring tonnes of injuries.

How would we even know? The last time he got called up, he spent the entire time as a healthy scratch. In pre-season games, he looked fine as well, the kind of guy you would put on the 4th line and let him grow. So I don't get what the issue is and reading Blueger's comments, I wouldn't be shocked at all if there's a lot of underlying frustration there.

Kind of my point. Blueger could be anything from good to clearly not an NHL player and blah blah blah best chance to win not a development league.... except they’ve got someone who has proven to not be an NHL player in the lineup over someone who could be. The same thing happened last year when a chronically injured Rowney had 5 points in 44 games and Kuhnhackl had 8 in 69. Could he really have done worse than that crap? He could have at least gotten NHL experience to learn from or they could have had a more solid idea of his future.

Blueger sounds openly frustrated now. A hockey player is saying it’s frustrating to the media and from the athletic article “you can’t help but think, ‘I could probably do that too.’” That’s not a small quibble and I don’t think it’s unfounded. More than any other prospect I think he’s ticked the most boxes to at minimum get a look.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
And that PK goal, a TON of credit goes to Sheahan finding his ass and drawing the defender to him to keep ZAR open for that goal. So he really doesn't do anything for me to say he's going to be this 15-20 goal scorer.

I want to like him and I try to lie to myself that maybe he will like, suddenly learn how to pass and stick handle, and with more experience learn how to win board battles.

But I’m me and I know I’m lying... not sure how to work around that catch 22.

Start with the fact that prime Kunitz skated like twice as well and go from there. I hated him here post-2014 Olympics, but ZAR is not even close to 2007 Duck Kunitz or 2010-13 Pen Kunitz.

I thought he was supposed to be Horny lite, but I don't see him in front of the net often. And if he was Horny lite, why isn't he out on PP1 instead of Jake, who doesn't look particularly good playing the net-front presence there.

Prime Kunitz was a beast. If ZAR even starts looking like corpse Kunitz I’d feel a lot better, and I’m not even trying to be funny. ZAR is that far away from being anything like Kunitz.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Anyone see any ECHL games to give a read on Hirano? I was curious about him as he is the only curious export out of Japan and he is an insane shot. Also, he's grown, he was 6' the last time I heard about him a couple of years ago.

He's now 6'2" and 216lbs?

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
SN piece on Bellerive:

Nice.

The twisted part of my brain, however, couldn't help but notice that just after he talks about eating healthy, they immediately cut to video of him jumping out onto the ice... right next to a large McDonald's advertisement showing a burger and fries, which is then followed by a shot of him skating over a Dairy Queen logo. :laugh:
(2:09 into the video for the curious)

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Nice.

The twisted part of my brain, however, couldn't help but notice that just after he talks about eating healthy, they immediately cut to video of him jumping out onto the ice... right next to a large McDonald's advertisement showing a burger and fries, which is then followed by a shot of him skating over a Dairy Queen logo. :laugh:
(2:09 into the video for the curious)

SmoothieKing doesn't have enough locations yet. Lol

steelcityassault

Sep 17, 2008
Pittsburgh, PA
Anyone see any ECHL games to give a read on Hirano? I was curious about him as he is the only curious export out of Japan and he is an insane shot. Also, he's grown, he was 6' the last time I heard about him a couple of years ago.

He's now 6'2" and 216lbs?

I don't think he has any full-time NHL potential, probably career AHL'er in my opinion

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007

Seems like a bit of an odd move for Halifax. Gravel has been playing just fine this year, and it would be quite odd to have either him or D'Orio serving as the backup. SJ would likely have no interest in Gravel, so he wouldn't be going the other way. Maybe they are still nervous about Gravel from last year, and are just hedging their bets since they are hosting the Mem Cup this year.

Sherbrooke makes the most sense on paper for D'Orio, but we shall see. In any event, it appears like he will be moved.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Even splitting starts is probably better than getting obliterated w/ shots every night.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Hallander made the final cut
giphy.gif

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Guess we can talk a bit about the tourney here.
PIT should like sign Leason yesterday.
19 yr old undrafted C who's blowing up this season.
Deffo worth the gamble.
Can any team sign him atm or does he have to be drafted.
I know we signed Bellerive who wasn't drafted so i assume you can simply sign him? That correct?

ETA: Hallander will be playing tonight @ 10:30ET or should be. vs FIN so should be a good one.

Last edited:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Guess we can talk a bit about the tourney here.
PIT should like sign Leason yesterday.
19 yr old undrafted C who's blowing up this season.
Deffo worth the gamble.
Can any team sign him atm or does he have to be drafted.
I know we signed Bellerive who wasn't drafted so i assume you can simply sign him? That correct?

ETA: Hallander will be playing tonight @ 10:30ET or should be. vs FIN so should be a good one.

He’ll go through the draft again. If he’s not drafted then he could be signed after the draft and before the season starts (?).

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
He’ll go through the draft again. If he’s not drafted then he could be signed after the draft and before the season starts (?).

Yea i assumed theres a period where you can sign like Bellerive did. Just didn't know if it can be done like right after this tourney or...

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Wonder where he’ll go in the draft. Never seen someone blow up at 19 like he has. And he’s 6’4” too.

Another comparable I can think of as far as a kid passed on in 2 drafts and unsigned, then exploded and made Canada’s U20 team, is Tanner Pearson.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad