Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I used to fly through St John's on every deployment overseas during my air force career.

Saw numerous games up there. Always loved the area and people. Probably the most welcoming area I've ever been to in Canada.

I can't imagine playing on a team so bad. They must be on of the worst teams ever in that league.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Nearly every kid in amateur that’s on the NHL radar produces well though.

Statwatching is a nice way for us fans to keep up with the prospects but it’s a terrible way to scout and actually judge how good these kids are or will be.

Nor do numbers determine how much trade value a prospect has. So I don’t think that would work at all.

Some Canucks fan did a study on whether the Canucks would have been better off picking the players they did or the next highest producer available. The answer was the latter. I'm going to guess that'd be true of a lot of teams.

Maybe it is a terrible way to scout prospects, but it doesn't seem to be any more terrible than the job that the scouts themselves are doing. I'm guessing Next Highest Producer Available would have done a better job with out 2016 draft than the scouts did.

Malkin72

Jun 27, 2014
I used to fly through St John's on every deployment overseas during my air force career.

Saw numerous games up there. Always loved the area and people. Probably the most welcoming area I've ever been to in Canada.

I can't imagine playing on a team so bad. They must be on of the worst teams ever in that league.

He plays in St. John New Brunswick and st John's (which did have a QMJHL team at one point) is in Newfoundland.. you'd be surprised how many people get them Confused!

Reactions: ImporterExporter

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I'm guessing Next Highest Producer Available would have done a better job with out 2016 draft than the scouts did.

If you go off numbers wasnt Bean the choice for Vancouver then? I don’t see how that’s much different. Sergachev/Chychrun has comparable numbers to Juolevi in their draft year. McAvoy had 25 in 37 games, so maybe him? But how do you compare CHL stats to NCAA stats?

Fabbro was the much better scorer than Cholowski in the BCHL, I mean Nashville isn’t exactly hurting for dmen but that seems dumb in hindsight.

Drafting is an imperfect science. I don’t know of any pro league that has scouts who constantly get it right and never miss, but I do think the idea of never watching these guys play and just drafting by their numbers would be an incredibly poor system.

Same thing with the NHL, box car numbers don’t necessarily indicate the better player.

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.

Eastern Canada (Newfoundland in particular) has a reputation for having the friendliest people in Canada so I'm not surprised.

Reactions: ImporterExporter

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If you go off numbers wasnt Bean the choice for Vancouver then? I don’t see how that’s much different. Sergachev/Chychrun has comparable numbers to Juolevi in their draft year. McAvoy had 25 in 37 games, so maybe him? But how do you compare CHL stats to NCAA stats?

Fabbro was the much better scorer than Cholowski in the BCHL, I mean Nashville isn’t exactly hurting for dmen but that seems dumb in hindsight.

Drafting is an imperfect science. I don’t know of any pro league that has scouts who constantly get it right and never miss, but I do think the idea of never watching these guys play and just drafting by their numbers would be an incredibly poor system.

Same thing with the NHL, box car numbers don’t necessarily indicate the better player.

We think the Vancouver Canucks may have a scouting problem(!!!!)

It makes no pretense to the idea that its a good system. Just that the Canucks ran a worse one.

And while some of that scouting is truly legendarily bad, I'd like to see hard numbers before suggesting everyone else's team would do better - particularly if you updated that with league adjusted scoring and found a way to incorporate dmen.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
We think the Vancouver Canucks may have a scouting problem(!!!!)

It makes no pretense to the idea that its a good system. Just that the Canucks ran a worse one.

And while some of that scouting is truly legendarily bad, I'd like to see hard numbers before suggesting everyone else's team would do better - particularly if you updated that with league adjusted scoring and found a way to incorporate dmen.
Why the f*** did I just read that shit in the link...what the f***.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Addison got cut from team Canada. So only Hållander this year for us in WJC.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Wonder how many Canadian d-men need to have a random off-ice accident in order for him to get the call. Just throw out a number.

When he's getting cut this late? 2 max I'd say.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
When he's getting cut this late? 2 max I'd say.
No idea of the cuts were made in some ranked order. But i think he was the 1st one to get cut. And by then they still needed to send home 3 more D.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
No idea of the cuts were made in some ranked order. But i think he was the 1st one to get cut. And by then they still needed to send home 3 more D.

Welp, that shows how much attention I'm paying :laugh:

Tbh, it depends a bit who gets injured. If the PP QBs start getting injured, I can see him getting called up quicker than the guys already there. If those guys stay fit, it'd need a lot of guys to get injured.

Gumbercules

Oct 11, 2007
Q trade period opens today, so if D'Orio or Drozg are going to get traded, it will happen in the next couple of weeks. There was buzz that D'Orio was going to end up in Baie Comeau, but they have now apparently acquired another goalie, so that likely snuffs that out.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Hallander on Sweden's 3rd line in practice, going from the thread in the JWC forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad