Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Hopefully he gets a shot this year. This is his last waiver exempt season.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Probably because he's a C and we have 5 Cs on the roster.

To be fair, Brassard and Cullen had been injured and Sheahan is presently playing as an RW, and Blueger hasn't gotten a sniff regardless. Grant has gotten his share of looks.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
To be fair, Brassard and Cullen had been injured and Sheahan is presently playing as an RW, and Blueger hasn't gotten a sniff regardless. Grant has gotten his share of looks.

Jacob mentioned they have 5 centers, but I count 6 if you include Grant. There are, unfortunately, a lot of guys in front of him. They need to find a way to get him into some games though and see what they have in him. He's an RFA, but at this rate I don't see why he would want to resign here. It wouldn't hurt to try him at 4C and have Cullen and Grant on his wings as added support. They've shown they're willing to let the bottom 6 centers play wing so why not find a way to get Teddy a cup of coffee.

Reactions: Soggy Biscuit

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The problem here was signing all of Sheahan, Cullen and Grant when you had Blueger as a NHL ready 4C. I don't know why anyone is acting surprised or wondering why Blueger hasn't gotten a chance yet. He's 8th on the Penguins depth chart in terms of centers.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Is Blueger incapable of playing LW? Surely he's a better option than Wilson and can slot into the 4th line either as LW or as a second center option if they want to move Cullen over to the wing.

Reactions: SHOOTANDSCORE

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Is Blueger incapable of playing LW? Surely he's a better option than Wilson and can slot into the 4th line either as LW or as a second center option if they want to move Cullen over to the wing.

He is definitely better as a pivot, but he can play wing better than a perimeter guy like Dea, because TB is pretty crafty along the wall (think Guentzel like there).

So the mystery continues.

Last edited:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The Blueger thing has gotten weird. If he can’t play wing, which I doubt, then he can play C because they’ve been putting the other Cs at wing on a whim. He’s leading WBS in points and goals, he’s supposedly been nhl ready or close since last season and the Pens have been a lazy mess. Last season Rowney was hobbling around uselessly over him and now you have someone like Wilson bringing energy instead of seeing what Blueger could do.

Maybe he sucks at the NHL level, but I know Garrett Wilson is 27 and has 2 points in 47 games and 0 in 34 before this season. That got a chance.

Reactions: Brandinho

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
The Blueger thing has gotten weird. If he can’t play wing, which I doubt, then he can play C because they’ve been putting the other Cs at wing on a whim. He’s leading WBS in points and goals, he’s supposedly been nhl ready or close since last season and the Pens have been a lazy mess. Last season Rowney was hobbling around uselessly over him and now you have someone like Wilson bringing energy instead of seeing what Blueger could do.

Maybe he sucks at the NHL level, but I know Garrett Wilson is 27 and has 2 points in 47 games and 0 in 34 before this season. That got a chance.

Even if they're bearish on his NHL upside, surely that sort of production deserves a look. It wouldn't be the first time a guy who is producing in the AHL has defied middling talent evaluations and made the transition successfully. Not even attempting to find out if that describes Blueger is completely bizarre.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I feel like guys like that are not going to come back to the Pens if they are UFA's or even RFA's, they'll either go back home or ask to be moved in the summer or go sign elsewhere.

I wouldn't blame them at all.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
The problem here was signing all of Sheahan, Cullen and Grant when you had Blueger as a NHL ready 4C. I don't know why anyone is acting surprised or wondering why Blueger hasn't gotten a chance yet. He's 8th on the Penguins depth chart in terms of centers.

There are a lot of guys who come in the nhl as wings before moving to center. I don’t think people are suprised he’s not up, just disappointed that he doesn’t get a look. They had enough injuries where he could have been fourth line center or lw and have grant on his lw. But with the team getting healthy I don’t they give him a shot.

I think he will leave this offseason if he doesn’t get called up.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

How would we even know? The last time he got called up, he spent the entire time as a healthy scratch. In pre-season games, he looked fine as well, the kind of guy you would put on the 4th line and let him grow. So I don't get what the issue is and reading Blueger's comments, I wouldn't be shocked at all if there's a lot of underlying frustration there.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Even if they're bearish on his NHL upside, surely that sort of production deserves a look. It wouldn't be the first time a guy who is producing in the AHL has defied middling talent evaluations and made the transition successfully. Not even attempting to find out if that describes Blueger is completely bizarre.

This seems to be the teams MO since the second cup.

Since then only real young player to get a shot was ZAR. Sprong got a chance to I guess too. But they have moved out more young talent then they have injected back in.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
He is definitely better as a pivot, but he can play wing better than a perimeter guy like Dea, because TB is pretty crafty along the wall (think Guentzel like there).

So the mystery continues.
Sullivan has completely forgotten what won him 2 cups. Playing young guys and trusting them in key roles over guys who didn't deserve the ice time.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Sullivan has completely forgotten what won him 2 cups. Playing young guys and trusting them in key roles over guys who didn't deserve the ice time.

He’s doing it with ZAR, it’s just IMHO he’s latched onto the wrong young guy, sadly.

I’m 99% sure TB is better than ZAR. All ZAR does better is hit. They are both good PK guys, TB is better defensively, TB is a way better passer and worlds better on the boards. He’s a lot better stickhandler and better skater.

TB has even found his scoring touch.

I’m 100% convinced ZAR is being given all this leeway and unearned chances because they want a 25 year old Kunitz, but I don’t see him even remotely in the same universe.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

He’s doing it with ZAR, it’s just IMHO he’s latched onto the wrong young guy, sadly.

I’m 99% sure TB is better than ZAR. All ZAR does better is hit. They are both good PK guys, TB is better defensively, TB is a way better passer and worlds better on the boards. He’s a lot better stickhandler and better skater.

I’m 100% convinced ZAR is being given all this leeway and unearned chances because they want a 25 year old Kunitz, but I don’t see him even remotely in the same universe.

V368BtN.gif

This is the issue for me, people keep saying "Oh but look at ZAR, he's getting minutes!" yeah sure, but who else is? Out of the prospects/young guys we have, it's Dominik Simon and really, only because he's basically Sid's broke ass version of Dupuis. I like Simon, he's put in work and if I had to choose between ZAR and Simon, I take Simon 9 times out of 10.

But we're not devoid of kids in WBS that are deserving of a shot. But we kept seeing Wilson called up and then they got back Dea, played him 3x and off he goes to WBS again.

People keep harping on Johnson and his weight, but he's shorter than Pettersson and weighs a little more...so I mean.

It's going to be really curious what happens with the WBS kids after this season. I don't see Johnson and Blueger coming back, both RFA's, but I wouldn't be shocked if both were hesitant on signing with the team or speak to Guerin and ask to be moved. Same for Prow.

If you're going to keep working your ass off and the team keeps looking outside of options, what does that exactly say about the team and it's own trust in its development?

Reactions: MrBurghundy

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

It absolutely boggles my mind how professionals who are at the highest level of their profession can fall victim to seeing what they WANT to see rather than see what is real.

ZAR is the next Kunitz. Cool, while they're at it, maybe they can draft some 5'11 kid out of Nova Scotia and if they squint real hard, no matter how much he sucks, they can pretend he's the next Sidney Crosby.

It's seriously aggravating to watch.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It absolutely boggles my mind how professionals who are at the highest level of their profession can fall victim to seeing what they WANT to see rather than see what is real.

ZAR is the next Kunitz. Cool, while they're at it, maybe they can draft some 5'11 kid out of Nova Scotia and if they squint real hard, no matter how much he sucks, they can pretend he's the next Sidney Crosby.

My thing is, if ZAR is your standard for being a top six guy, then TB deserves that chance way more because he’s much more skilled and his overall game is better.

I think TB is a bottom six guy likely, but no one can tell me ZAR is a better player. It’s nonsense and now TB is admitting he’s frustrated, which pisses me off because he’s done everything the right way.

Then some goober like ZAR doesn’t have to put in the work and years TB did.... and no matter how shitty ZAR looks and how well TB keeps playing, TB rots away.

It’s pretty f***ed.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

You'd think we'd be used to that with this team by now.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
My thing is, if ZAR is your standard for being a top six guy, then TB deserves that chance way more because he’s much more skilled and his overall game is better.

I think TB is a bottom six guy likely, but no one can tell me ZAR is a better player. It’s nonsense and now TB is admitting he’s frustrated, which pisses me off because he’s done everything the right way.

Then some goober like ZAR doesn’t have to put in the work and years TB did.... it’s pretty ****ed.

The ZAR situation reminds me of my local junior team. They drafted this kid who, no offense to him, was absolutely terrible. They'd play him in a top six role to justify them drafting him high, and once every 20 games he'd score a nice goal or two and their quotes to the media would be to the effect of, "That's why we see so much potential in him" before he'd inevitably go another 20 games without a goal.

ZAR's the same way with this organization, it seems. Does very little of note for 95% of the time, then has a game like he had the other night where he scored 2 goals, and suddenly Sullivan and Co. seem justified in their belief of him as a top nine mainstay.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

I would be interested in seeing if ZAR can develop a bit more. I want to see his goal total at the end of the year.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The ZAR situation reminds me of my local junior team. They drafted this kid who, no offense to him, was absolutely terrible. They'd play him in a top six role to justify them drafting him high, and once every 20 games he'd score a nice goal or two and their quotes to the media would be to the effect of, "That's why we see so much potential in him" before he'd inevitably go another 20 games without a goal.

ZAR's the same way with this organization, it seems. Does very little of note for 95% of the time, then has a game like he had the other night where he scored 2 goals, and suddenly Sullivan and Co. seem justified in their belief of him as a top nine mainstay.

He scored one goal on the PK and one tap in EN goal. Context of it all is that he’s shown zero chemistry with anyone.

Put TB with Malkin and Kessel and he will actually make plays and win board battles and help make those two better, because he has skill and a high IQ.

He’s a lot like Simon in the way he thinks the game and dishes the puck, but he’s better defensively. There is so little to dislike about his game.

Just again ridiculous to read a guy like him admitting he’s frustrated. Zero doubt in my mind he sees ZAR not have to work for his opportunities and put in his time, and has to get under his skin when he has to know he’s a better player.

Reactions: Tasty Biscuits

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He scored one goal on the PK and one tap in EN goal. Context of it all is that he’s shown zero chemistry with anyone.

Put TB with Malkin and Kessel and he will actually make plays and win board battles and help make those two better, because he has skill and a high IQ.

He’s a lot like Simon in the way he thinks the game and dishes the puck, but he’s better defensively. There is so little to dislike about his game.

Just again ridiculous to read a guy like him admitting he’s frustrated. Zero doubt in my mind he sees ZAR not have to work for his opportunities and put in his time, and has to get under his skin when he has to know he’s a better player.
And that PK goal, a TON of credit goes to Sheahan finding his ass and drawing the defender to him to keep ZAR open for that goal. So he really doesn't do anything for me to say he's going to be this 15-20 goal scorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->