Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Hard to say since sprong had his injury and is now catching up to his game shape and into a groove. Could he have dominated if he was healthy in camp and already good to go when the season started? Who knows. But he's heating up big time and if he continues to just score in bunches every other game he'll have that big year and then it's the ahl next and help them with their run if he is healthy and done his year.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Charlottetown laying another thumping on the opposition.
7-0 over Drummondville with half a game left.
Sprong with 2 more goals.

Final 9-0: Sprong 3G1A
Believe it's his first hatty in the Q.

Last edited:

SideShowSauce

Dec 17, 2012
Barrie
If you take out Sprongs first week back in game action (8 days really but 5 games), he has 21 points in 11 games. Not bad for no summer of training

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
The last two weeks not withstanding, Sprong still hasn't really dominated the Q like blue-chip prospects are really supposed to.

And I don't subscribe to the notion that Sprong, or any prospect outside of the very very elite, will stagnate or regress by spending more time in juniors. Mostly because there has never been a prospect that didn't pan out because their development was taken too slowly, and numerous examples of players that flopped because they were rushed.

Out of curiosity, what would you consider to be dominating the league? Sprong's currently fifth in the league in points-per-game... and he didn't have a training camp in which to get up to speed before getting into games that count.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Well, he was outside of the top 10 when I made that comment. We're looking at a very small sample size. I mean he hasn't dominated that league over a meaningful stretch... like a full season or even a half season last year.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
My post was an inside joke with HOG who read the same idiotic thread as me on the trade boards.

Sprong isn't even an overager.

In regards to Talbot, it was always obvious his skating and hands, even when watching him in the Q, would keep him from being any kind of offensively gifted player.

Sprong has elite speed and an elite release/shot. I feel pretty confident his offensive gifts will translate to the NHL. My concern, even when he made the team, was his positional play through the NZ and his own end was raw as hell.

Now that part of his game has deteriorated quite significantly since his stint in the NHL. To me it's important to see him score only because he is coming off a shoulder injury, but playing in jrs these last two years has stunted his growth in the important areas I was so worried about.

Exactly my point in recent conversation to lower expectations here. He's going to need 50 games minimum at WBS' possibly 150.

They won't call him up till he improves his play away from the puck, and that will take 3 months minimum.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
If he wasn't scoring even in the Q it would mean we can probably write him off as a prospect. He's doing what he's supposed to be doing in Charlottetown so that means he's still on track. We still have a possible future top 6 winger out of only a 2nd round pick, that's meaningful.

Agree. Very happy to see him starting to light up the scoreboard. Implies the surgery and rehab went well.

TonyAndrock

Oct 26, 2013
Game 49 Preview: Lehigh Valley (32-14-2) vs. W-B/Scranton (36-11-3) at 7:05 p.m. ET

There's no 'love' lost between these bitter rivals on Valentine's Day. The Penguins host the Phantoms tonight at the Mohegan Sun Arena in a battle between the AHL's top two teams.

As always, live in-game updates on Twitter (@TonyAndrock) and a full recap of the action online shortly following the game.

News, notes & more to get you ready for tonight's game: http://highlandparkhockey.blogspot.com/2017/02/game-49-preview-lehigh-valley-at-w.html

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
C'Town had a big tilt with St.John again tonight and lost 2-1.
Checked out Sprong's stats and looks like he played decent 6SOG. 3 classified as Dangerous. +/- 0.
They went 0 fer 6 on the PP tho.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sprong continues scoring after a slow start.

3 goals, 1 ass, 1st star.

16 goals and 29 points in 18 games.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
That release is sick.

Some guys handle the puck like it's on a string, Sprong handles it like it's glued to his blade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad