Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Is that former Pirates announcer Tim Neverett calling the game?

Yes it is

https://www.unionathletics.com/news...ens-hockey-set-for-no-16-cornell-colgate.aspx

Union returns to Messa Rink, hosting No. 16 Cornell and Colgate. Friday's game against the Big Red will be broadcast by American Sports Network and will be airing on 117 stations across the United States, 106 of which will be live. Boston Red Sox announcer Tim Neverett will be handling the play-by-play, while former Minnesota Golden Gopher Pat Micheletti will be the color analyst. Matt DuBrey (play-by-play) and Brian Unger (color) will have the call on the Dutchmen Radio Network on ENN.

He has a history of being the play-by-play guy for hockey, so this isn't anything new for him.

Mr. T

Feb 15, 2003
When their season ends. March/April.

Unless he goes on a team-by-team tour to raise his asking price like Edmonton forward/debauched Roman emperor, Drake Caligula.

I wonder if Sheary's success in Pittsburgh might attract a Vecchione/Foo type player this year.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
He's pretty good at it.

Arguably better at it than he is at announcing baseball.

Actually that's not saying much. He's a better hockey announcer than baseball announcer. He doesn't have the personality to fill the dead air time of baseball with anything interesting, a problem solved by the relatively non-stop action that hockey provides.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
how would you guys rank your top 5-10 prospects right now? seems like sprong has a pretty huge gap between him and next guy.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Sprong
Sundqvist
Jarry
Gustavsson
Byron
Angello
Lafferty
Blueger
DiPauli
Bengtsson

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
how would you guys rank your top 5-10 prospects right now? seems like sprong has a pretty huge gap between him and next guy.

My current list:

Guentzel = just graduated

1) Sprong = most potential.
2) Sundqvist = Bottom 6C. Can play right now probably.
3) Jarry
4) Pouliot = still a prospect yea? or no?
5) Bleuger = took a nice step this season in his development. Bottom 6 potential.
6) Bengtsson = tough year with Lyme Disease but i still think he can turn into an NHL'er.
7) Gustavsson
8) Archibald
9) Simon
10) DiPauli, Lafferty, Angello, Byron, Taylor, Maguire - pick one.
Other Notables: Bjorkvist, Almari, Hall, Josephs

Theres certainly a gap between the potential of Sprong and the others.
Theres potential Rust types in there too. Guys with speed that have some offense to their games(Archibald, DiPauli).
Solid goalie prospects in Jarry, Gustavsson and Maguire.

Last edited:

Mattpilf

Jun 28, 2016
Sprong is just an overager getting lucky...

It's not really luck, but it's not really that meaningful either because he's in the QMJHL.

At Sprong's age Max Talbot was the best player in the QMJHL not named Sidney Crosby. Talbot was a guy who 2 years later worked his way up to a 4th line call up and a career known as a guy with "bad hands".

So yeah, not that meaningful. Looks like he's healthy and back in his rhythm and that more important.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
It's not really luck, but it's not really that meaningful either because he's in the QMJHL.

At Sprong's age Max Talbot was the best player in the QMJHL not named Sidney Crosby. Talbot was a guy who 2 years later worked his way up to a 4th line call up and a career known as a guy with "bad hands".

So yeah, not that meaningful. Looks like he's healthy and back in his rhythm and that more important.

My post was an inside joke with HOG who read the same idiotic thread as me on the trade boards.

Sprong isn't even an overager.

In regards to Talbot, it was always obvious his skating and hands, even when watching him in the Q, would keep him from being any kind of offensively gifted player.

Sprong has elite speed and an elite release/shot. I feel pretty confident his offensive gifts will translate to the NHL. My concern, even when he made the team, was his positional play through the NZ and his own end was raw as hell.

Now that part of his game has deteriorated quite significantly since his stint in the NHL. To me it's important to see him score only because he is coming off a shoulder injury, but playing in jrs these last two years has stunted his growth in the important areas I was so worried about.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If he wasn't scoring even in the Q it would mean we can probably write him off as a prospect. He's doing what he's supposed to be doing in Charlottetown so that means he's still on track. We still have a possible future top 6 winger out of only a 2nd round pick, that's meaningful.

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
If he wasn't scoring even in the Q it would mean we can probably write him off as a prospect. He's doing what he's supposed to be doing in Charlottetown so that means he's still on track. We still have a possible future top 6 winger out of only a 2nd round pick, that's meaningful.

It means his offensive gifts don't appear to be compromised by injury. But unless he was really mentally engaged while he was injured, it's hard to say how his defensive and transition game is right now, when projecting to he NHL. I would guess a full season in the AHL would be best for him long term.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Yeah that plug Mantha is from that league too and let's not talk about that joke we drafted first overall Sidney Crosby.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The last two weeks not withstanding, Sprong still hasn't really dominated the Q like blue-chip prospects are really supposed to.

And I don't subscribe to the notion that Sprong, or any prospect outside of the very very elite, will stagnate or regress by spending more time in juniors. Mostly because there has never been a prospect that didn't pan out because their development was taken too slowly, and numerous examples of players that flopped because they were rushed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad