Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
To be fair though, Rust and Wilson are having strong rookie years. Maybe one of them could carve out a top 6 role one day.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
To be fair though, Rust and Wilson are having strong rookie years. Maybe one of them could carve out a top 6 role one day.

I'm a huge fan of Rust and what he can bring to the Pens, I think right now he's good enough to be in the bottom 6, but he could be a Dupuis type in the sense that a pretty solid top 9 guy, I haven't seen enough of Wilson yet, but I do like Archibald, Wilson, and Rust.

I had hopes for Kuhnhackl but at this point, I don't know if he can even be a 1st line AHL'er, ever. Zlobin is having a rough year too...he was my darkhorse pick.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
It is hard to deny though that Rust, Wilson and Archibald are all quite similar.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yeah Rust can be an NHL player. Wilson and maybe Archibald. But all they will add is a bunch of meh to a team with a bunch of meh players.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Yeah Rust can be an NHL player. Wilson and maybe Archibald. But all they will add is a bunch of meh to a team with a bunch of meh players.

For most of those guys, it's their first year, you have to give them some time, especially the College kids since playing more than 40 games is new to them, some are probably sucking air right now.

And Keven Veilleux, the dude that looked like Lemieux's illegitimate son..what a useless bum. He could have been something, but oh well, he turned racist and stupid.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Jarrys season is over.
Didn't watch the games but looking at the stats, oil kings out shot their opponents in most if the games. Don't know the quality of the chances, but stat wise Jarry got outplayed by the other keeper.

Anyway. Can he play in wheeling w/o burning a year of his ELC? They won't send him back for next season to the WHL I hope?

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
He can sign a try out without burning anything of his ELC. The Wheatkings did finish top off the league, 39 points ahead of the Oil Kings so the loss isn't unexpected.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
Jarrys season is over.
Didn't watch the games but looking at the stats, oil kings out shot their opponents in most if the games. Don't know the quality of the chances, but stat wise Jarry got outplayed by the other keeper.

Anyway. Can he play in wheeling w/o burning a year of his ELC? They won't send him back for next season to the WHL I hope?

As long as he plays fewer than 10 NHL games (regular season and playoffs), he'll get an additional year added to his contract. The way the CBA is worded, contracts actually kick in right away, but if they're signed prior to the 20-year-old season, then they get extra years added to it if they play in fewer than 10 NHL games in the regular season + playoffs. (If they sign at 18, they can get up to two years added, and if they sign at 19, they can get up to one year added).

Prospects that are already signed aren't actually on tryout deals, they're already under contract. But their contract still gets extended as long as they don't play in the NHL (which Jarry definitely won't).

Which means they definitely won't send him back to the WHL next season, since he's already signed. At that point, they no longer get the benefit of extra years getting added to his contract, no matter where he plays. I'm sure they'd rather burn next year off his contract with him in the system, rather than playing in Juniors.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
It's looking like the SHL finals will be between Skellefteå and Växjö. Sundqvist vs a couple former Pens in Nick Johnson and Noah Welch.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Murphy - Welch has been a solid top D pair for Växjö this season. Murphy runs the offense and Welch anchors the pair. Sundqvist probably won't see much of them, however.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Murphy - Welch has been a solid top D pair for Växjö this season. Murphy runs the offense and Welch anchors the pair. Sundqvist probably won't see much of them, however.

How's Sundqvist looking? Have only caught few highlights, but that hasn't kept me from going out on a limb and saying he's one of this team's top six forwards the day his season ends and he comes over. :laugh:

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
How's Sundqvist looking? Have only caught few highlights, but that hasn't kept me from going out on a limb and saying he's one of this team's top six forwards the day his season ends and he comes over. :laugh:

He looks like he is ready to play full time in the NHL, but of course he also looked NHL ready this preseason when he was sent back to Sweden. One of the announcers even said something similar during the game vs Linköping the other day.

He has filled every role that he has been put into this season for Skellefteå. He doesn't have very flashy point totals, but no players on Skellefteå do and they dominate anyway. The three biggest knocks on him in his draft year were his weight, his skating, and his PIM. He's put over 25 lbs on since being drafted (6'3" 208 lbs now). His skating has improved significantly, though I don't think it ever will be his strength with how lanky he is. And he's dropped from 3.3 PIM/game in his draft year to under 1 this year.

In the playoffs so far he's been playing on the third line LW with Erik Forssell (two-way center and the captain) and former Isles prospect Kabanov on the RW, though injuries have been shifting the lineup around a bit. He also gets some time on the PP and PK so he has been ~15 minutes of ice time per game. They actually just showed a stat in the game that is being played right now and Sundqvist was 2nd on the team in ice time so far.

He is so versatile that I could see him playing on any of the 4 lines for the Pens next year. He would be a good fit for Crosby because he is huge and can use his body to win board battles and get the puck to Sid. He can play with Malkin because he is great at getting to the front of the net and using his hands to score from in tight. He could play on the third line because he is great in a defensive role and can still chip in offensively. And if he needs to he can plug along on the third line and play physical and chip in offensively when needed. In the bottom six he would probably be best playing center, but he can obviously play LW too if needed.

Black Label

Aug 6, 2009
Amsterdam
Sundqvist with a huge goal to put Skellefteå up 2-1 in the third. If they win this game they are on to the finals.

Edit: Now they are up 3-1 with 10 minutes left, the crowd is going crazy.

Last edited:

sexyllama

May 18, 2010
He looks like he is ready to play full time in the NHL, but of course he also looked NHL ready this preseason when he was sent back to Sweden. One of the announcers even said something similar during the game vs Linköping the other day.

He has filled every role that he has been put into this season for Skellefteå. He doesn't have very flashy point totals, but no players on Skellefteå do and they dominate anyway. The three biggest knocks on him in his draft year were his weight, his skating, and his PIM. He's put over 25 lbs on since being drafted (6'3" 208 lbs now). His skating has improved significantly, though I don't think it ever will be his strength with how lanky he is. And he's dropped from 3.3 PIM/game in his draft year to under 1 this year.

In the playoffs so far he's been playing on the third line LW with Erik Forssell (two-way center and the captain) and former Isles prospect Kabanov on the RW, though injuries have been shifting the lineup around a bit. He also gets some time on the PP and PK so he has been ~15 minutes of ice time per game. They actually just showed a stat in the game that is being played right now and Sundqvist was 2nd on the team in ice time so far.

He is so versatile that I could see him playing on any of the 4 lines for the Pens next year. He would be a good fit for Crosby because he is huge and can use his body to win board battles and get the puck to Sid. He can play with Malkin because he is great at getting to the front of the net and using his hands to score from in tight. He could play on the third line because he is great in a defensive role and can still chip in offensively. And if he needs to he can plug along on the third line and play physical and chip in offensively when needed. In the bottom six he would probably be best playing center, but he can obviously play LW too if needed.

Is this with a good front office and coaching staff? Because our current management would ruin him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad