Prospect Info: Pittsburgh Penguins Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I don't have an issue dealing a Murray or Jarry if it could net us a 2016 or 2017 first rounder, or maybe a 2nd and prospect. But that seems rich considering the current market, so I'd rather just keep the G depth (and not spend one more cent on goaltending for the next few seasons).

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Goaltending prospects' trade value is severely limited because of the unpredictability of the position. At least Murray has a few NHL games under his belt, but Jarry has none and I can't imagine his trade value is much higher than an early 2nd...aka what we used to draft him with. Develop them and then deal with the bottleneck. Young back-ups ready to become starters, on the other hand, tend to command more than actual starters in the off-season. See: Jones, Martin.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
I see Sprong had a hand in all 3 goals last game in a 7-3 loss. He did also have a team worst -4.

Sure looks like the working on the defensive game was a bunch of bull crap. Rather it look like he roams free scoring points. Not really what we hoped. We know he can score. Man i hate the transfer rules that he cant play in the AHL. If he did he might be ready next season. Now im pretty sure he need some seasoning in the AHL first.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Yep, the "going back to juniors to round out his game" stuff was ********. You don't go to the Q to work on your defensive game. :laugh:

But hey, long live Kevin Porter, Conor Sheary and Scott Wilson.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yea, i watched a good portion of that game and every shift Sprong was just cruising around in the D-zone waiting for his team to gain possession then sprinting forward once they got it.

Thats not a case of being lazy either. Ok, a little bit, but, he takes long shifts so you can tell he's just conserving energy for offense. There just isn't much D-zone structure in the Q. It's a free for all, just like Sprong said in an interview early in the season.

Good news is the kid is speedy and driven to make the NHL.
He'll do whatever it takes and wants to learn the more structured pro game.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Yep, the "going back to juniors to round out his game" stuff was ********. You don't go to the Q to work on your defensive game. :laugh:

But hey, long live Kevin Porter, Conor Sheary and Scott Wilson.

Did someone say to send him to juniors to round out his game? Personally, I wanted him sent back to light it up offensively. Playing 4th line minutes in the NHL and forcing him to play conservative defensive hockey had the potential to stifle his creativity. Sending him down was the right call in those circumstances.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
He needed to go back and regain his confidence. He never dominated at the junior level.

There were dozens of players from his draft class that had better numbers than him in juniors and that got sent back immediately.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
We didn't draft Sprong to be good defensively, not a concern for me whatsoever. If he shows interest in the defensive side of the game eventually I consider that a win. Has he been playing LW at all since he got sent down? It would be nice to have a guy that can play on both wings.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
He needed to go back and regain his confidence. He never dominated at the junior level.

There were dozens of players from his draft class that had better numbers than him in juniors and that got sent back immediately.

Yup exactly. That's how I felt from the start and only changed my tune when they decided to keep him past 9 games. I disagreed but figured if they were going to play him every night, I could probably get in board. Then they dicked him around, he probably lost confidence, JR and MJ had a battle, MJ fired, new coach doesn't play him and then sent back. Honestly, I don't know if they could have dealt with the situation more poorly other than giving him the Plots treatment.

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
Yup exactly. That's how I felt from the start and only changed my tune when they decided to keep him past 9 games. I disagreed but figured if they were going to play him every night, I could probably get in board. Then they dicked him around, he probably lost confidence, JR and MJ had a battle, MJ fired, new coach doesn't play him and then sent back. Honestly, I don't know if they could have dealt with the situation more poorly other than giving him the Plots treatment.
Can't go AHL so what can you do? Got some NHL time, not enough TTOI though but still better than being benched or sent right away to a lesser league which doesn't provide enough building ground.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Can't go AHL so what can you do? Got some NHL time, not enough TTOI though but still better than being benched or sent right away to a lesser league which doesn't provide enough building ground.
I dunno, is Strome going to be irreparably damaged for going back to the OHL in camp? Or Marner? I do agree that a taste of the NHL is better than no taste at all (as long as it's earned), but I'm not sure if 18 games is any more beneficial than 9, even before weighing in the fact that you're eating a year of his ELC.

There's a point where a kid's confidence gets a boost from making it through the cuts and getting some NHL action, but then it probably falls off after weeks of either not playing at all or barely playing and barely getting any touches with the puck or looks at the net.

Quick update, Sprong has 4 assists in a 6-6 tie in the last minute of OT. So that's 10 points in his last 4 games, 9 assists.

Last edited:

Penguinator

Kesselator
Sep 17, 2014
Space
I dunno, is Strome going to be irreparably damaged for going back to the OHL in camp? Or Marner? I do agree that a taste of the NHL is better than no taste at all (as long as it's earned), but I'm not sure if 18 games is any more beneficial than 9, even before weighing in the fact that you're eating a year of his ELC.

There's a point where a kid's confidence gets a boost from making it through the cuts and getting some NHL action, but then it probably falls off after weeks of either not playing at all or barely playing and barely getting any touches with the puck or looks at the net.

Quick update, Sprong has 4 assists in a 6-6 tie in the last minute of OT. So that's 10 points in his last 4 games, 9 assists.

Well, at least he doesn't come out as selfish with all those assists. Yeah the ELC loss sucks, i mean, for 9 more games without enough TTOI it sounds like they gambled on the kid staying but he's got work to do, which he can't do properly in the Q 'cause he can't play AHL lvl. Damn it. Meanwhile i hope he does develop his D, somehow.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Sprong didn't have much of a game. He was visible but didn't generate much, no points in a 6-4 win and I think was on for 2 against, one of which he really watched happen rather than back check.

He coasts and floats around waiting for the play but had a lot of jump. In the 3rd he really starting throwing the body.

He was playing left point on the 1st pp. I liked how he was in control of it, very vocal and directing traffic.

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Sprong didn't have much of a game. He was visible but didn't generate much, no points in a 6-4 win and I think was on for 2 against, one of which he really watched happen rather than back check.

He coasts and floats around waiting for the play but had a lot of jump. In the 3rd he really starting throwing the body.

He was playing left point on the 1st pp. I liked how he was in control of it, very vocal and directing traffic.

Yep, thats what i see every game i watch.
He takes long shifts too so it seems he's just conserving until they get possession.
Good that they got the W though.

Solution

May 20, 2010
Cheswick, PA
That was the draft in Pittsburgh where they had a pick in every round but the seventh (which was traded away for Tomas Vokoun). The draft picks included Derrick Pouliot, Olli Maatta, Theodors Bleuger, Oskar Sundqvist, Matt Murray, Mattia Marcantuoni, Clark Seymour, Sean Maguire, and Anton Zlobin. Maybe Shero's best drafting class. Add in the trades besides Vokoun which netted Brian Dumoulin and Harrison Ruopp.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
How is Blueger's doing? Has he developed to the point he's a realistic option as a regular NHler? What happened to Archibald? I always mixed him up with Wilson, but Wilson seems to be the one always getting the call-up.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
How is Blueger's doing? Has he developed to the point he's a realistic option as a regular NHler? What happened to Archibald? I always mixed him up with Wilson, but Wilson seems to be the one always getting the call-up.

Reading up a bit about Blueger now.
I know last i checked, his team was in an offensive funk but he was still 1st or 2nd in scoring on the team.

They won last night 3-1.

Teddy Blueger, who was credited with assists on the first Gervais goal and Zach Stepan's tally, became the 11th member of Minnesota State's Century Club in terms of career points for the program's NCAA Division I era. The Riga, Latvia native now has 28 goals and 73 assists for 101 career points in 145 games.

ETA: Looks like he's well in the lead in points for the team. Blueger has 28pts in 31games. Next closest is a guy with 19pts in 30games.

http://www.msumavericks.com/custompages/Men's_Hockey/2015-16/teamcume.htm#TEAM.IND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad